Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Quest 2 set up help please

Hello all,

I received my quest 2 three days ago.  After watching about 30 "how to" videos, I have reached the stage where I get "100%" for about 2 seconds then I get a black screen. Three days of complete and utter confusion and frustration.

I have worked out that I needed to purchase Virtual Desktop @ AUD31.00. I purchased that but can find absolutely nowhere where I can download it. 

I then downloaded and installed the streamer app.  I cannot see why I need this as I only want to use Occulus Quest 2 in flight sim.

I have no idea of how to proceed from here and I am being increasingly frustrated by every video which tells me that this process is so simple. I need HELP in a big way here.

After receipt of my Quest I put it on charge. I am guessing that is where the "100%" is coming from. 

Is it possible that someone can give me a step by step list of what I have to do and please assume that I am not in possession of the nerdiest brain.

After saving funds for approximately 2 years and then get stuck as I am with no results is extremely frustrating, as you may well imagine. I just want to fly.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

I received my quest 2 three days ago.  After watching about 30 "how to" videos, I have reached the stage where I get "100%" for about 2 seconds then I get a black screen. Three days of complete and utter confusion and frustration.

I have worked out that I needed to purchase Virtual Desktop @ AUD31.00. I purchased that but can find absolutely nowhere where I can download it. 

I then downloaded and installed the streamer app.  I cannot see why I need this as I only want to use Occulus Quest 2 in flight sim.

I have no idea of how to proceed from here and I am being increasingly frustrated by every video which tells me that this process is so simple. I need HELP in a big way here.

After receipt of my Quest I put it on charge. I am guessing that is where the "100%" is coming from. 

Is it possible that someone can give me a step by step list of what I have to do and please assume that I am not in possession of the nerdiest brain.

After saving funds for approximately 2 years and then get stuck as I am with no results is extremely frustrating, as you may well imagine. I just want to fly.

Regards

Tony

Here is a little tidbit I just posted in another forum and might offer some help. Beyond that, it would be good to know your system specs.

I’ve had quite an adventure with Oculus link, as the Quest refuses to recognize anything but my 2080ti’s built in USB-C as a valid 3.0 connection.

Its also quite particular about the link cable, and really demands a good one (not necessarily the expensive Oculus version) to get the best data throughput.

A bad choice of cable will result in dropouts, stutters and all manner of unpleasantness, and its pretty much required to run the Oculus cable test to get an idea of what you have to work with.

My regular cables cannot even complete the test.

My new cable can reach a steady 3Gbps, which is still below the theoretical 5Gps of the bespoke Oculus cable, but should be good enough for government work, especially as most people are reporting only 1 to 2 Gbps or less. Plus it has enough Ummmph to successfully charge the headset as you play, which is not a given, with some cables.

USB C to USB C 3.1 Gen 2 Cable 10ft, Fasgear 10Gbps 100W(20V/5A) Power Delivery with E-Marker Chip 10Gbps Data Sync 4K@60Hz Video Output Compatible for Type-C Devices,Oculus Quest Link,Macbook (Black)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

HiFlyer,

Thanks for your response.

You have just described stuff that I have not yet been able to reach. 

After receipt of the Quest, I set it up to charge after which I ran the Occulus set up programme.

I do have a AUD40.00 cable link which is currently connected and has been, since I fully charged the Head unit.

As I said, all I am getting is the 100% and three green dots.  

I have purchased Virtual Desktop  but not yet downloaded it because I cannot find a download link.

I have downloaded and installed the streamer app but when I run that all I get (on the PC) is a list of stuff I can download and none of that content is what I am interested in.

I have downloaded and installed sideQuest and again, running that just points to stuff I am not really interested in.

I figure (after three days) that I am not going to get anywhere further until I can download the Virtual desktop and then be able to access it with my Quest 2. 

But that is the sum total of my three day venture into my long awaited VR experience.

What I need is a step by step guide to get this set up.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

6 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Thanks for your response.

You have just described stuff that I have not yet been able to reach. 

After receipt of the Quest, I set it up to charge after which I ran the Occulus set up programme.

I do have a AUD40.00 cable link which is currently connected and has been, since I fully charged the Head unit.

As I said, all I am getting is the 100% and three green dots.  

I have purchased Virtual Desktop  but not yet downloaded it because I cannot find a download link.

I have downloaded and installed the streamer app but when I run that all I get (on the PC) is a list of stuff I can download and none of that content is what I am interested in.

I have downloaded and installed sideQuest and again, running that just points to stuff I am not really interested in.

I figure (after three days) that I am not going to get anywhere further until I can download the Virtual desktop and then be able to access it with my Quest 2. 

But that is the sum total of my three day venture into my long awaited VR experience.

What I need is a step by step guide to get this set up.

Tony

Two things: Did you install the oculus quest software on your phone/tablet?

Google/Android

Or

Apple App Store

Second: You need to install the Oculus software on your computer.

To play Oculus Rift content on Quest 2, install the Oculus App on a compatible gaming computer, then connect your headset using the Oculus Link cable or similar high-quality USB 3 cable.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

No mate, I do not have an android or apple phone   I have a Nokia windows 10 phone.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

10 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

No mate, I do not have an android or apple phone   I have a Nokia windows 10 phone.

Tony

As far as I know, there is no way around doing the initial setup without a compatible Android or Apple phone or tablet.

You don't won't need the phone afterwards, though the app is quite useful.

My suggestion would be to borrow a phone, download the software, set up your Quest and then delete the app from the borrowed phone.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

I do have it installed on the computer. No problems there.

How does the android phone interface with the headset?

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

3 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I do have it installed on the computer. No problems there.

How does the android phone interface with the headset?

Tony

Initial setup and link

Devons rig

I have scored an Android phone temporarily.

I have downloaded the occulus app. The phone looks for a headset  ... finds it and then tells me to look into the headset for a 5 digit number.  All I see is the now very familiar 100%

I am connected to the computer by cable link. but there is no numbers there. I tried to disconnect the cable link but the same thing happens.

Any further ideas on that.

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

This might be a silly question, but you say you're seeing something saying 100%.

Have you actually turned on the headset by holding down the white button on the side?

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

HiFlyer,

Thanks again for your reply mate.

Yes mate, I most certainly have.

I have however made some progress and have managed to pair the headset successfully.

My problem  now is that when I get into the virtual desktop it only points to the steam library, which I do not have.  I own no steam products. 

I have looked at some of the incredible promo videos in absolute awe but I cannot link to XPlane P3D or MSFS.  I did manage to start XPlane from my desktop but it was only looking at XPlane through the headset and was not in VR.

How can I access these programmes without going through the steam library.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

2 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Thanks again for your reply mate.

Yes mate, I most certainly have.

I have however made some progress and have managed to pair the headset successfully.

My problem  now is that when I get into the virtual desktop it only points to the steam library, which I do not have.  I own no steam products. 

I have looked at some of the incredible promo videos in absolute awe but I cannot link to XPlane P3D or MSFS.  I did manage to start XPlane from my desktop but it was only looking at XPlane through the headset and was not in VR.

How can I access these programmes without going through the steam library.

Regards

Tony

The next steps are different based on whether you are attempting to use the regular oculus link. or the experimental wireless air link.

Tell me when you have gotten at least this far

For a start though, I suggest using the link cable, for now.

Your next step is to connect your Headset to your PC

quest-link-1.jpg

Open the Oculus desktop software.

Go to Devices

Go to Quest & Touch (which should say active)

Oculus-Link-Shot-06.jpg

Go to device setup

Follow directions

Afterward, In the Headset itself you will need to activate the link by following the three steps shown below

77838678_783984662043935_586973063576498

oculus-quest-2-set-up-voice-commands-con

Devons rig

HiFlyer,

Mate, I have it set up and working as far as I know but in your first screenshot in lieu of the green (active) i have a red X but active showing.

I am at least able to go to your next screen and allow. All good so far but I cannot find your last screen.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

8 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Mate, I have it set up and working as far as I know but in your first screenshot in lieu of the green (active) i have a red X but active showing.

I am at least able to go to your next screen and allow. All good so far but I cannot find your last screen.

Regards

Tony

The last screen can be found within the headset.

Devons rig

3 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

The last screen can be found within the headset.

I beg to differ mate. I can not find it anywhere.

I am getting the impression that I am the worlds dimmest VR enthusiast.  This has been the most frustrating experience for me.  I know the end result, if I ever get there, is going to be awesome, but that does not take away the present frustration,

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.