Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Quest 2 set up help please

Give me a second to get some step by step info.

There are actually quite a lot of Youtube videos out there regarding basic setup, but unfortunately, many of those people are trying so hard to act friendly, engaging and energetic that they come of as.... idiots, and ramble all over the place before getting to the point.

Going to try and locate some good and easy to follow ones

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Video one: The very basics

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Video 2 (Timestamped) Link Setup!

Devons rig

HiFlyer,

I have seen that video before I even purchased the Quest, and followed it after I received it.  I agree with your other comments too, some of them are really hard to follow.

My big problem started with the 5 digit number which took me ages to find and activate.  However, I have admittedly taken some missteps along the way but have got to the stage where I am trying to find and follow your third screenshot. I also find that in a lot of these videos they just bring up screens without telling us what they are doing and I struggle to find what they have done to get that screen up.  ie most of these guys and girls assume that you know exactly what you are doing as they progress. 

Before I go any further, please let me acknowledge both your incredible help with this and your patience.  I am incredibly graeeful.

Tony 

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

HiFlyer,

I have also seen that one prior to purchase.  I re-watched it a couple of days ago and as I have version 28. none of it was really relevant particularly the latter part of the video. (graphics settings etc)

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

1 minute ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

I have also seen that one prior to purchase.  I re-watched it a couple of days ago and as I have version 28. none of it was really relevant particularly the latter part of the video. (graphics settings etc)

Tony 

At the timestamped point that I have the video beginning at, which is at approximately two minutes and 45 seconds, she goes directly into the screen where you said you were currently having difficulty, which are the screens where you connect the Oculus link to the computer within your headset.

Are you no longer at that point?

Devons rig

I have progressed from there.  What confuses me is that she says that I can download games etc from here, but I do not have the steam games and what I want to access is already installed on various drives of my computer.  Nowhere can I find where I can go to to actually start those sims in the page she is referring to.

Mate, I have to go now to attend a medical appointment some 200kms away and wont be back until about 2.00pm my time.  You may well have gone to bed by that time depending on where you may be.

I shall respond when I return.

Thanks again

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

15 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I have progressed from there.  What confuses me is that she says that I can download games etc from here, but I do not have the steam games and what I want to access is already installed on various drives of my computer.  Nowhere can I find where I can go to to actually start those sims in the page she is referring to.

A lot of it would be automatic.

For instance, to see VR in Xplane, all other things having been setup correctly, you would simply start the sim as normal, then go to Xplane settings and switch to vr mode.

This would instruct Oculus home to start, and you should then see Xplane within the headset.

The same would apply to MSFS, where you would simply start the sim as normal, and then within the sim, you would switch to vr mode, which should automatically be displayed within the headset.

Devons rig

HiFlyer,

Apologies for the non response.

As a result of my medical appointment I then had to go to Perth for a minor procedure which involved an overnight stay. I have just arrived back and will investigate further a little later on in the day.

Again I thank you for this information.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

39 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Apologies for the non response.

As a result of my medical appointment I then had to go to Perth for a minor procedure which involved an overnight stay. I have just arrived back and will investigate further a little later on in the day.

Again I thank you for this information.

Regards

Tony

To be honest, I wondered if you had given up. Its not unknown for people having teething pains with vr to eventually decide its not currently worth the effort.

Glad you are sticking with it!

Devons rig

It has, so far, been an arduous and frustrating experience, as I have found nothing to be intuitive.  However, I would emphasize the fact that I am very "old school" and have similar problems with all sorts of new technology.

I will definitely proceed through as the purchase cost was very significant for me and I am not about to throw that away.

Cheers

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

HiFlyer,

Mate I have gone backwards now.

I had two very short flights in VR yesterday but I turned it on this morning and I cannot find XPlane in my Library.

I fired it up on desktop and checked VR hardware on, disconnected by cable link, and reconnected (Xplane still on desktop) and I can see it on my virtual desktop but it is not in my library and therefore I cannot select it.  I tried the same with P3Dv4.5 and MSFS but the only thing I have in my library is the Occulus Dreamdeck.

I also now can no longer find any of the demo videos like the undersea and the parachutists etc 

I further tried after those many attempts to watch a downloaded movie.  I saw some tutorials which told me to put these movies into my Occulus library and I followed that but they do not show up either.  I am now close to my wits end but determined to continue.

What on earth am I doing incorrectly?  Just turning it on today has been an exercise in frustration.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

27 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Mate I have gone backwards now.

I had two very short flights in VR yesterday but I turned it on this morning and I cannot find XPlane in my Library.

I fired it up on desktop and checked VR hardware on, disconnected by cable link, and reconnected (Xplane still on desktop) and I can see it on my virtual desktop but it is not in my library and therefore I cannot select it.  I tried the same with P3Dv4.5 and MSFS but the only thing I have in my library is the Occulus Dreamdeck.

Keep in mind you now likely have two libraries.

The Oculus desktop app and its related games...

And the Oculus quest app and its related games.

As a general rule, once a VR game has been successfully run on the desktop and used with the headset, it should appear in your library. 

To make this possible:

• Open the Oculus app on your PC computer.
  • Select Settings in the left menu.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Next to Unknown Sources, adjust the toggle and then confirm to allow content from unknown sources.

Check now to see if X-plane is available.

I'm not sure in P3D ever shows up in your Library, and I no longer have it installed. Its probably not a big issue as its easy to launce it once the game has booted up.

Devons rig

HiFlyer,

Mate, I opened the Occulus tab on my computer ... selected settings  ... went to general tab, unknown sources was enabled so I disabled and then enabled again and allowed.

In that same Occulus tab under "Library" I now have three items

1. Oculus Dreamdeck 2. Oculus First Steps and 3. Oculus First Contact.

When I reconnected my headset, I click on allow data and enable Oculus link and my library only shows the Oculus Dreamdeck.

Still no sign of XPlane

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

9 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

HiFlyer,

Mate, I opened the Occulus tab on my computer ... selected settings  ... went to general tab, unknown sources was enabled so I disabled and then enabled again and allowed.

In that same Occulus tab under "Library" I now have three items

1. Oculus Dreamdeck 2. Oculus First Steps and 3. Oculus First Contact.

When I reconnected my headset, I click on allow data and enable Oculus link and my library only shows the Oculus Dreamdeck.

Still no sign of XPlane

Tony

Start the Oculus desktop app.

Connect the headset to the desktop app either wirelessly or with the link cable

Start X-plane

When X-plane has booted, start vr mode

X-plane should now be running in your headset.

Hopefully once you quit this time, X-plane will be added as an available app.

Hmmmm...

Alternately you could just go to the virtual desktop and click your regular X-plane start Icon, then go from there

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig