Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Little Nav Map in a popup mini-window ?

Did any of you, folks, find a way to bind LNM  to a key or a joystick button to have it pop up and out of the game screen ? The alt-tab that I do seems a bit prehistoric to me.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I couldn't find a way but am happy with using little navmap in full screen using alt + tab as it doesn't pause the sim.

Ideally, I guess it would be better on a second screen but I don't know what the performance hit would be.

I find little navmap to be very detailed and wonder if my eyes are good enough to see it clearly enough if I were able to to put it in a pop-up window.

I have say that it has been one of the best additions to my simulator having tried a couple of others (albeit a bit fiddly until you get used to it).

Edited by cianpars
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

This mod allows you to have it appear in your in-flight menu/toolbar:

https://github.com/bymaximus/msfs2020-toolbar-little-nav-map

BUT ... you'll need to be running LNM in server mode.

I can't remember whether you can bind a key to it (I've uninstalled mine). It won't be a default MSFS key, but maybe the mod will allow a binding of some kind.

To be honest, LNM has just so much functionality - much of which you simply couldn't do in a tiny pop-up. ALT-TAB is way better. If all you want is a moving map, there are plenty of other mods around that do just that.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

9 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

This mod allows you to have it appear in your in-flight menu/toolbar:

https://github.com/bymaximus/msfs2020-toolbar-little-nav-map

BUT ... you'll need to be running LNM in server mode.

I can't remember whether you can bind a key to it (I've uninstalled mine). It won't be a default MSFS key, but maybe the mod will allow a binding of some kind.

To be honest, LNM has just so much functionality - much of which you simply couldn't do in a tiny pop-up. ALT-TAB is way better. If all you want is a moving map, there are plenty of other mods around that do just that.

Thanks. I am not sure I want to get into the server thing, the only other computer I have , a laptop, cannot be upgraded to W10.  I'll have a look anyway.

I do use LNM for more than a moving map indeed. But I fly some aircraft which have no decent  navigation instruments (for instance the Corsair) and it is nice to check from time to time my whereabouts vis-à-vis  my flight plan by glancing at   LNM in tiny window. 😃

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

Thanks. I am not sure I want to get into the server thing, the only other computer I have , a laptop, cannot be upgraded to W10.  I'll have a look anyway.

I do use LNM for more than a moving map indeed. But I fly some aircraft which have no decent  navigation instruments (for instance the Corsair) and it is nice to check from time to time my whereabouts vis-à-vis  my flight plan by glancing at   LNM in tiny window. 😃

The server can be run on the same PC as MSFS, if you want to.

Try this one:
https://flightsim.to/file/3181/fspm-vfr-map

• Like 2

Cool, didn't know about these apps!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Maybe Asobo should look at signing up the LNM team.  Saves reinventing the wheel!  :smile:  

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, cianpars said:

Ideally, I guess it would be better on a second screen but I don't know what the performance hit would be.

I have this running on a cheapo 17 inch 1280 x 1024 screen alongside my main screen and haven't noticed any performance hit at all. Makes a huge difference, especially for someone like me who just tends to take off from somewhere and generally potter about on whatever direction looks interesting.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

3 hours ago, cianpars said:

Nothing noticeable. Also use Avilasoft EFB (not at the same time) and performance seems the same whether they're running or not.

Specs are below.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Maybe Asobo should look at signing up the LNM team.  Saves reinventing the wheel!  :smile:  

FYI, the "team" consists of one (1) individual. 🙂

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

"This server thing" is just one setting in LNM (Tools -> Options -> Web Server ->Start Web Server). Nothing more has to be done.

• Like 1

I most often use it with the Windows 10 multiple screens option. A second screen can be created via Alt Tab and clicking the plus top left. Shortcut to switch between the screens is Ctrl Winkey Arrow Right or -Left. Open MSFS in screen 1 and open LNM in screen 2. Now it's easy to switch between them, but for the fact that the shortcuts require two hands. The fix for that is AutoHotKey, also known as AHK.

To have LNM permanent in view you could opt to run MSFS in windowed mode (and make it as large as possible and move it as far up as you can, then it's almost not noticeable). LNM can run it its own window which can be made to be 'always on top' via AHK.

Alternatively, using the LNM server it can run in a browser on a laptop or a tablet next to your MSFS screen.

• Like 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

9 hours ago, Belgarath said:

FYI, the "team" consists of one (1) individual. 🙂

... and very talented/friendly he is too!!

Note: MSFS doesn't handle Simconnect too well (CTDs) so you'll need to extend the refresh period in LNM from 500ms to 1000ms (I think - from memory) to reduce the load a little.

Alex is a genius....  

Edited by mjw25
operator error
  • Like 1

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA