Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

FS Commander vs FSNAV???

Anyone used both of these programs? I see FS Commander is upgraded and available now for FSX as well as FS9. I just downloaded the trial version. I have used FSNAV for years. Just wondered how these two addons conpare to anyone who has experience useing both programs?Thanks:RTH

Guest draky

Yup I was a fan of FSNav and switched to FS Commander a while ago - my personal preference is for FS Commander. Their personal support has been well worth the switch. Just waiting patiently for the FSX update. In meantime running it linked to FSX but with data from FS9.Would not fly without it but I have a second screen networked with WideFS to the main FSX computer so I see the map on a separate screen to the simulator. If you have a second machine or a laptop I would recommend this method of use for any moving map function addon.Capt. Dave D.

Hi Edmundo-If you do use FSC in windowed mode how does it compare to FSNAV?Thanks,

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

Hi Howard,Well ... it doesnot compare! I tried just FSC a couple of times and being a FSNav for years I might be biased. I think FSC is comparable to FSNav when useed in a second computer. In windowed mode I don

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest SanH

HII have been using FSNav for years also. I tried FS Commander and found it to be slightly better. The main disadvantage of FS Commander is that you cannot view the map etc. unless you are in window mode or have a 2nd monitor. However, it does have loads of features that FSNavigator does not. For example it shows the weather (rain, snow, sun icons and temperature) on the map which is a great help.

I am trying the evaluation copy via widefs on a client. So far it works as advertised, however, I really dislike the VB error handling. Twice I apparently clicked something wrong and you get the old (tiresome) "A VB error has occurred" and then splat to the desktop. It just appears to be an old (outdated) development tool. For around $50 US I expected more relative to error handling. 1. Is there a way to de-clutter the map by filtering airports? (Min runway lenght, etc).2. VB runtime is S L O W ...I'll continue trying all the features, but I have not convinced myself to buy it. Yet. :)Bob..

Wellllll.I have tried Moving Map fsmmm110.zip. I am afraid I have not yet figured out yet how to set it up properly. I have downloaded the world map and tried to enter coordinates exactly as per the example and it continues to tell me that I do not have enough coordinates. I don't know what the next step would be but for some reason this program seems pretty complex to me.Flight Sim Commander 8.0 looks somewhat promising judging from the trial version, however, I think I will wait until the new version of FSNAV is out to reach a conclusion. The only thing that turns me off a little bit is having to purchase it through SimMarket from which there is no recourse after the buy. One question: Can one export flight plans to FS9 or FSX, and the other programs like those used in VatSim like FSNAV does? This would be a severe limitation to me particularly at the price.Happy flying:RTH

Guest camtech

I have used FSNav for years, but i believe i will be going to fscommander because of the network, i run all networked software this way , to take the load off of the main sim. Radar contact, Activesky, Fscommander.this was the problem i had with FSNAV being on the same com, it had a hit on frame rates even more so if you moved it to another monitor.So with FSX being such a hog on frame rate my thinkin is to stay with FScommander.FSNAV when it first came out there was not a whole lot of networking going on. i dont think from talking to the folks at there web site they will be going to network.So from my point of view unless FSNAV goes network i cannot use it like i did with FS9 because as you can see FSX wants our full attention and does not like sharing:)..............Robert

Hello Robert:Thanks for the reply.I have been lucky enough that I see no frame rate reduction by locating FSNAV on a secondary monitor in FS9 (really a third monitor off of a secondary video card). In fact, the only undocked window that has had a noticable effect is the GPS even on the second output of my primary card, but not to an extent that it can not be left there. I certainly see what you mean realtive to FSX though. Any undocked window relocated has a significant effect on my system. Being that FSNAV is not available yet, I don't know how it would react.My only question concerning FSCommander is: Can flight plans be exported to other programs in the same way that FSNAV can, like FS4 (in this case FSX), Squawkbox, Radio Contact, Squawkbox/FSINN etc.?Thanks again:RTH

Be aware that if you go the FS Commander route it will cost you the price of the program + the price of a registered version of FSUIPC as it is required to run the program and interface to FSX. Craig