Sign in to follow this  
aspen31

The Dreaded "Hung Device" - Again

Hello all

Ive been working through P3Dv5.1 trying different settings within the Sim - attempting to balance performance with visuals and FPS. Not long after installing V5.1 I started to receive the "Hung Device" window and that was according to LM related to Enhance Atmospherics being selected so my problem was fixed by simply turning it off. The Sim has been error free for a couple of months. Lately however when I select "disable VR" I consistently receive the same message- "Hung device" with the narrative about P3D closing etc. I am able to fly for as long as I wish, change aircraft and adjust settings as long as I don't try to disable VR. While operating, the sim runs smoothly with with good FPS - around 30. The type of aircraft doesn't seem to matter.

I use a capable liquid cooled Alienware computer with GTX 1080 and Oculus Rift. My sliders are selected in the 50% range and my frame rate is set to 30 but regulated my the Nvidia control panel. I use most Orbx products.  I've not had much luck posting a P3D question on the Oculus forum so I thought I would ask if anyone here has seen this Oculus / P3d issue and found a solution.

Thanks

Warren (aspen31)

Hi again all

Incidentally, nothing comes up in the P3D error log which might help me zero in on the problem.

Thanks

Warren

Try rolling back your GPU drivers, some of the latest drivers Nvidia have been tweaking the VR drivers they may have caused a problem for your setup.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Hi

I rolled back to a previous Nvidia driver which I knew to function correctly, which  was 461.92 - unfortunately the same "hung device" window when I tried to disable VR.

Thanks

Warren

I've had this come back occasionally and each time I'm (apparently) able to get rid of it by clearing the DirectX cache (not the P3D one, the system one - use the 'Disk Clean Up' tool to remove it). It's obviously a problem with multiple causes but this usually solves it for me. Though I did go through a phase of needing to clear the cache at every restart or else P3D would start crashing straight away. Don't have to do that now, but I do it occasionally anyway as a maintenance task.

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

I tried the the disc cleanup but no luck - same error at exactly the same time. To be clear my P3D does not crash. The only problem I have is in selecting "disable VR". Beyond that that the Sim is smooth, good frame rates and no failures. Ive also returned my settings within the Sim to default but no change.

I appreciate the help so far.

Thanks

Warren

I tried disabling all add-on scenery including Orbx and reducing all sliders to 0 or minimum and I get exactly the same error at the same time when I try to disable the VR - Oculus Rift. Pretty much out of ideas.

Hi all
Not sure but I may have fixed this issue. I found one of my add-on airports which has a separate land class folder accompanying it and I had the LC folder above the airport folder. I switched them and now no "hung device" error. Why disabling all the add-on air[ports did not fix this I'm not sure hence my hesitancy to conclude that this is fixed but I have flown for perhaps 45 minutes going in an out of VR without any issues. I'll do additional flights to confirm.
After whining all day about the problem and thinking about all sorts of additional work the solution may in fact have been quite simple. Exactly why this occurred is puzzling but it seems there is a lot to be said about the concept of "test and verify"
More to follow I'm sure.
Thanks everyone
Warren

• Like 3

Maybe just the dust filters full and the system get´s hot. 

Dan

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

I have learned that almost anything is possible but for now still working. More testing today.

Warren