Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Orbx NZ Mesh released!

https://orbxdirect.com/product/nz-mesh-msfs

NZ Mesh is the first product made with our new proprietary approach for custom terrain meshes for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Created from carefully blended high-resolution DEM data, NZ Mesh is a 100% self-contained product with no changes made to the default mesh or any other files. With virtually no noticeable performance impact, each LOD is consistent without any blurring and minimal LOD morphing when flying over the diverse terrain of New Zealand.

When installed, NZ Mesh takes up only 523MB of hard drive space and comes in at a 10m resolution. We are planning future updates to this product with LIDAR data of up to 1 m resolution to further enhance terrain detail in rural and urban areas.

Thanks to scotchegg for bringing this interesting product to my attention yesterday. Despite the marginal improvements to the default mesh in its first iteration, this add-on promises to greatly reduce or eliminate the terrain morphing issues that appeared with the USA World Update, by compiling the lower levels of detail in a more consistent way. This could be huge.

If anyone decides to purchase it, first impressions would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 10

Great!  

...each LOD is consistent without any blurring and minimal LOD morphing...

I will definitely be interested this.  If this helps the LOD/morphing issue, hopefully they can do it for the whole world if the cost isn't excessive!  :smile:

At £8.80 it's got to be worth a try.  I will buy it and try it when I get home from work.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

11 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

If this helps the LOD/morphing issue, hopefully they can do it for the whole world if the cost isn't excessive!

I admit I haven't been in the loop on this and don't even own MSFS yet (tested in the Alpha though), but maybe Asobo could fix the issue themselves so we don't have to buy mesh for the entire planet to get rid of a simulator issue. FSX/P3D all over again, sigh.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 15

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

13 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I admit I haven't been in the loop on this and don't even own MSFS yet (tested in the Alpha though), but maybe Asobo could fix the issue themselves so we don't have to buy mesh for the entire planet to get rid of a simulator issue. FSX/P3D all over again, sigh.

I agree, this is what should happen, but Asobo seem to have a reluctance to address the issue.

The scenery spikes and coastline disruption is significantly better with recent fixes, but the morphing / shape-shifting of hills, mountains, and cliffs can still be quite distracting.
I also get the silver threads running through mountains, which I notice can cause performance degradation when it shows. 
These generally disappear when I get closer so sounds like a LOD issue, and I run at 150 LOD with vector data at ultra.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

26 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

At £8.80 it's got to be worth a try.  I will buy it and try it when I get home from work.

Thanks a lot! If possible, can you also give it a try at a lower Terrain LOD setting? About 25-75. It's what I'm flying at and the morphing used to be almost unnoticeable back then.

13 minutes ago, threegreen said:

At launch (and I presume in the Alpha) the morphing was hardly a problem, but since the USA World Update in October it is now much worse than FSX/P3D, and to add to that, the sawtooth pattern has returned, the coastlines are broken, and there are seams in the mountains. I agree that we shouldn't have to buy add-ons to fix those issues, but so far Asobo have not commented a lot on the coastlines and mountains seams, while they seem to be completely oblivious to the morphing.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

With all due respect to Orbx for trying to innovate, I'm also getting terrible flashbacks to the FSX/P3D overheated addon ecosystem. I don't want to spend $10 per country to fix morphing terrain, especially in a simulator whose greatest selling point is that it's truly global, where nearly everywhere looks good. If there's a technical fix here, I want Asobo to implement it globally. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to paint myself into a shrinking box of areas covered by addon scenery.

James

• Like 13
  • Upvote 15

very likely this is the cause of why the terrain sdk is not yet released

Edited by arsenal82

Well I will wait for you guys to report, but from the screenshots, I think, would I really see any diffrence? the diffrence is there but its small. The morphing is not somthing that came to mind when a did a few flights around NZ when it was the only place we could fly.

Would you really know if you had it installed or not. Sure you can see here but in a flight? you would have to do the same flight with and without to really test it.

40.thumb.gif.69fa5227c75a65eeafb086bf066

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

any mesh in msfs is a BIG step backward

fly p3d and a 10 m mesh the difference is all there to be seen

even xplane have better mesh than msfs

• Like 1

10m for a payware product is a bit underwhelming I think (okay, first iteration and it‘s not that expensive, but still). Would be great to hear if the morphing is really hardly visible and if the coastlines look good, especially after the update to 1m. If that‘s the case, it‘ll be worth a consideration. 

Terrain issues are one of my biggest gripes with this sim, so I‘m glad that 3PDs are trying to do something about it. But at the same time I agree with previous posts that this should be MS/Adobo‘s job.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 3

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Interesting that Orbx have noted that the scenery morphing is an issue, even if Asobo don't seem too bothered about it (I have seen it in their own videos!). 

If Asobo do intend to do something about it, it would be useful if they at least made their intentions known, so that we don't waste our money.

• Like 3

I'm not so sure about purchasing something that Asobo themselves should fix and update (as they are with World Updates), who is to say NZ isn't on their list for inclusion in a soon upcoming WU? It's a risky move even at the low price, you keep paying for little updates like this and before you know it you've spent a lot!

So for me, paying for a product that essentially does very little and something that might come in time is pointless. I'm more interested in the 1m DEM/LIDAR data they claim to have upcoming, that might peek my interest.

The free Italy DEM is great, perhaps there's data available for NZ too.

Edited by MarcG
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I thought ASOBO/MS said in one of their Q&As a while back that they were working on a algorithm that was going to fix these issues globally?  Also, the issues of coastlines is on the fix list isn't it?

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

The difference is huge for me but maybe you prefer to fly over the NZ default mountains of MSFS. Anyway, there is no obligation.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/207429-nz-mesh-for-microsoft-flight-simulator/

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.