Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Orbx NZ Mesh released!

Not using MSFS again until they fix the awful terrain morphing before one’s eyes. Certainly don’t want to invest in payware being laid on top of vanilla sim issues while they are constantly pushing patches and updates. Especially concerning base scenery/terrain mechanics where the payware devs will most likely also have to patch/update their product in continuity with Asobo’s. However it’s very early in the sim and I do appreciate such a huge 3rd party addon push at this stage but the vanilla sim is still on shaky grounds for me to want to spend money on payware layers.

Hopefully most issues in vanilla MSFS will be ironed out in another 6 months to a year.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

8 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Isn’t it funny how in the Asobo promo videos, we see no such morphing......

Actually I saw some quite noticeable morphing in the official trailers made after the USA World Update, particularly the Honolulu shot of the Xbox trailer, the mountains in the middle of the CRJ trailer, plus the last location of the France/Benelux trailer. I think it has more to do with them carefully choosing the shots that go into these trailers (most of them are very brief probably for that reason).

Anyway, I have to say I'm quite surprised there is a lot more response to the morphing issues compared to the last few times they were brought up on this forum. I would like to take the opportunity and point out the threads in the official forums documenting the morphing and other terrain LOD issues, that could really use some more votes and support.

Terrain morphing: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/mountains-coastlines-constantly-morphing-since-the-usa-uk-world-update/339453

Coastline glitch: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/coastline-glitch-water-creeping-up-coasts-cliffs/328532

Mountain seams: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/transparent-strips-in-the-mountains/360660

Landmark popping: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/poi-very-late-rendering-draw-pop-in-solution-for-asobo-to-fix-in-this-thread/368281

Blurring at higher altitudes: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/lod-problems-distances-revisited/307551

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Certainly don’t want to invest in payware being laid on top of vanilla sim issues while they are constantly pushing patches and updates.

I was thinking the same but having seen some of the pictures it does make a difference for me. 1 meter mesh would be very tempting. But then Microbo may well get round to doing this all themselves if the data is available and it's not like I'm flying around NZ every day.

Decisions, decisions...

• Like 4

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

10 hours ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

https://orbxdirect.com/product/nz-mesh-msfs

Thanks to scotchegg for bringing this interesting product to my attention yesterday. Despite the marginal improvements to the default mesh in its first iteration, this add-on promises to greatly reduce or eliminate the terrain morphing issues that appeared with the USA World Update, by compiling the lower levels of detail in a more consistent way. This could be huge.

If anyone decides to purchase it, first impressions would be greatly appreciated!

It's pretty good, IMHO - and being mesh only, not too expensive.

NZ-Mesh-04-1350.jpg?dl=1

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/207445-goosing-about-nz-mesh/

Adam.

• Like 8

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

It is interesting how often threads about third party improvements to MSFS lately seem to attract a bevy of "Asobo should all be sacked, I am deleting MSFS and having a ritual fire in my backyard burning all the install disks" style of posts 😄

Because I do fly in New Zealand a lot, this looks interesting, but I will wait for a few more review videos.   If I do buy this I will be treating it as a temporary investment which will likely be uninstalled once NZ eventually gets a World Update.

Real life NZ scenery is amazing ...

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I just bought it and I did a flight around the Queenstown area , (SS shots over at Orbx) . Some improvement yes , huge improvment no . But only $10 US , no brainer purchase .

• Like 1

NZ land surface = 0.18% of worlds land surface.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

1 hour ago, Nemo said:

NZ land surface = 0.18% of worlds land surface.

Yep ... so if your big interest is flying the High Altitude Airways IFR in an Airbus on autopilot at FL350 over the Atlantic you really should not bother with this mod.  In fact if you never or rarely fly New Zealand do not bother either.

If you spend a reasonable amount of time in New Zealand, it is cheap (most individual airports cost more) and probably worth picking up.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

48 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

Yep ... so if your big interest is flying the High Altitude Airways IFR in an Airbus on autopilot at FL350 over the Atlantic you really should not bother with this mod.  In fact if you never or rarely fly New Zealand do not bother either.

If you spend a reasonable amount of time in New Zealand, it is cheap (most individual airports cost more) and probably worth picking up.

I agree with you. It was only a short math just to be aware that world wide mesh would be 500 times more than NZ mesh. Of course, prize and size won't be linear.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

When I fly the last time in NZ I don´t think that I found:

Well this landscape needs urgent a better mesh right now 🤔

I will wait! 😉

Stephan from Germany

My System

Still debating with myself whether to get this...mostly fly VFR in NZ (I'm a kiwi)...so maybe I should...but maybe a forthcoming world update will include NZ...

What a strange time we live in. When MSFS came out everyone could literally not stop complimenting the scenery of the sim. Calling it the greatest thing ever. I'll never need scenery addons again!

Morphing aside, mind you, that's been there since day one you now have people throwing the baby out with the bath water over something that for all intent and purpose is generally very minor at most.

This is screenshot is default. I bet the price of the NZ Mesh if I posted "Just bought it and it looks amazing" no one would know it was just default and compliment how amazing it looks. Sure it's "only $10" but so is a nice meal. I prefer a nice meal over miniscule gains

ZjJwPED.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

@styckx Well, then fly in and out of Milford Sound with your lovely default mesh... and this is only one region known to many, so I bet if you are from NZ, you will be aware of many similar spots where default mesh is completely off, like in the sound. 

Same applies for me in Switzerland. The Alps mesh is just a joke, most peaks are barely recognizable.

Means: if you are happy with the default mesh: fine, but there is little to no reason why addon devs should not release addon meshes to correct bad default mesh for those who do care...

Edited by AnkH
  • Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS