Sign in to follow this  

I need to get a 2nd monitor for work purposes and so I am going to get a new one for my flying pc and move my current monitor to my work laptop   I was looking at a Gsync monitor as I have stutters and understand it can help with that.   I have an I5 cpu overclocked to 4.2 with a 1060Ti card.  Performance is ok at 1080 FPS wise - but it has decreased stutter wise as more updates came out (it used to be much smoother)   I am getting a new monitor either way but I am wondering if its worth spending too much on Gsync if its not really going to help with stutters.   Any advice would be appreciated...thanks

Will it help...probably, depending on the cause of the stutters. Will it eliminate them completely, absolutely not. I have been running an Asus PG279Q for a couple of years and it's great, and really helps reduce the stutters caused by varying fps.

What it doesn't fix is stutters not related to variable frame pacing. Ex.: in MSFS there is some issue where my system can be running well below max. resource use (30-40% cpu with 70-80% primary core use, and 70% or less GPU use, and less than 50% mem usage), yet fps drops below my fixed fps setting and I get stutters. It's really something to behold when the GPU is coasting and fps drops dramatically and sometimes recovers, and sometimes doesn't.

I was used the the old P3D days that when fps dropped, the bottleneck was evident, because you'd see either cpu or gpu getting crushed...not so with MSFS...almost like it just decides to throttle itself down and ignore available resources.

I played a 1st person shooter game for a while, and Gsync was brilliant for that.

I love my Gsync monitor, and I'd hate to not have it, but if I had to replace it, it would be REALLY hard to burn the $$$$$ it costs for Gsync. Plus I think Gsync is dying tech that won't be around much longer...at least not as a proprietary hardware function - it's just WAY too expensive for what it does.

• Like 3

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

What @somiller said is spot on.  My g-sync monitor works like a charm for almost every game I have, except MSFS.  There is some kind of frame pacing issue and the CPU/GPU usage is all over the place.  It's a hot mess IMO and I'm back to running X11 without fail, nice and smooth as a you know what.

• Like 1

One of the biggest things to know about G-Sync monitors is to NOT get one that is just G-sync compatible as the variable refresh rates on those cheaper models don't go low enough for use in P3d or MSFS. Use Nvidia's list to check as you want a variable refresh rate that goes all the down to 1.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

• Like 4

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

5 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

One of the biggest things to know about G-Sync monitors is to NOT get one that is just G-sync compatible as the variable refresh rates on those cheaper models don't go low enough for use in P3d or MSFS. Use Nvidia's list to check as you want a variable refresh rate that goes all the down to 1.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

This. Absolute truth.

I can relate to this. I have a freesync monitor that is G-Sync compatible, but the lowest refresh rate it goes to is 48.  This means I must get to 48 and over in order for freesync to kick in.  When it does , it works great.  Now freesync ver 2.0 has LFC  (Low frame rate compensation) . The refresh rate still doesnt go lower but kicks in this mode and effectively doubles the frame.  Just be sure is has enough room to do that. In other words , its highest refresh rate should be at least 120hz.  But as DaveYVR said, play it safe and get a G-Sync monitor so you dont have to worry about it. 

• Like 1

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

On that list my Z35P monitor have a range betwen 1-120.... I dont know if that is true.

Maybe I have something wrong here...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Thanks for the info - I am going with a true full G Sync monitor and hope for the best.   I figure it cant get any worse and as I have to do this anyways give it shot.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, marcg11 said:

Thanks for the info - I am going with a true full G Sync monitor and hope for the best.   I figure it cant get any worse and as I have to do this anyways give it shot.

I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed. It really is refreshing to see NO tearing and no stuttering caused by variable frame pacing as Gsync instantly varies fps to match.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

On 5/13/2021 at 7:03 PM, somiller said:

I'm fairly certain you won't be disappointed. It really is refreshing to see NO tearing and no stuttering caused by variable frame pacing as Gsync instantly varies fps to match.

Well thanks to Amazon I am about 3 days late - I was supposed to get it on Friday last week - but Amazon has no idea where it ended up (never said delivered to me).   I am now waiting for a replacement shipment supposed to be here tomorrow...we will see....That's what I get for moving my stuff around figuring it would be here.....

Quick update - had the monitor about a week now and what a difference!  Just about smooth everywhere now - I can go up to 1440 with the same hardware and not have to upscale.    Best upgrade I have done in a long time.......MSFS is absolutely gorgeous now.....Most of the time I am never quite satisfied with my upgrades as I thought I would be but this time this one was spot on......

I can confirm this. When I went to P3Dv5 I also invested in a new 34" G-synch monitor and the microstutters  i saw before are gone.

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

From what I am seeing all the monitors that go from 1-120hz are close to $1000 or more. Do you really have to spend that kind of money to stop microstuttering?

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

I switched to a gsync monitor I already had in use elsewhere and I think it's really helped. I notice most reduced or no screen tearing when looking around. I'm getting it without the vsync lag.  I might be wrong, but my personal experience is I wouldn't want to run it without.

Edited by manageablebits