Sign in to follow this  
ThrottleUp

First impressions! (Low-spec PC users read this)

5 hours ago, filou said:

If you want to enjoy a comfortable experience you will need a more powerful PC.There is no secret .Just fly simple with MSFS settings proposed and adapted and put aside all unnecessary old fsx mechanisms.

This is exactly a solution for majority of problem. I have to CTD, stutters and so on because I invested in new PC before getting MSFS. Old time simmer should have known better!

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Thanks for the commentary, it's good to see some positivity about the sim (and a rational assessment of its faults) around here.  I'm glad you're mostly enjoying it.  🙂  One comment:

7 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I miss the FSX ability to switch airplanes at any time.

You can do this if you have dev mode enabled;  go to the dev menu and pick (IIRC) Window -> Aircraft Selector.

• Like 2

One important note abut Dev mode is that your flight hours aren't logged...just something you should know if you're a completionist 🙂 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DylanM said:

One important note abut Dev mode is that your flight hours aren't logged...just something you should know if you're a completionist 🙂 

Then again, most people lost their flight logs anyway in that patch a while back. Back to the OP however, be sure to check out the many videos on youtube teaching you how to make scenery really easily in dev mode. This is another really good aspect of MSFS which often gets overlooked by people. all you need is a copy of Blender (free), and Paint.net (also free) and you can knock up your own scenery in no time at all.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, filou said:

Put MSFS "Bloom" off

okay If you want a terrible looking sun and airport lights.....

• Like 2

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

This is exactly a solution for majority of problem. I have to CTD, stutters and so on because I invested in new PC before getting MSFS. Old time simmer should have known better!

60hz monitor V-Sync 30 fps in MSFS settings also gives me very good result.

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

25 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

okay If you want a terrible looking sun and airport lights.....

Okay not too much "Bla bla bla" 

Show me your airport lights shot with your Bloom On and i will show you mine with blooom Off.

Default airport and plane of your choice.

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

1 hour ago, filou said:

60hz monitor V-Sync 30 fps in MSFS settings also gives me very good result.

I'm using G-sync monitor !

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

5 hours ago, Chock said:

Might be a bit premature for you to be throwing add-ons at it, but an exception to this would be that if you want the visuals up high so you can check things out, take a look at the payware add-on Top Rudder 103 Solo, which is inexpensive (10 quid) and very good fun for exploring. The fact that it has next to no avionics means it has a very light system overhead, leaving you room to up the visuals a bit and the fact that it has no turn and slip indicator makes it an interesting thing to fly too, so it is good as a testbed for fine-tuning your controllers. Well worth a look if low-level VFR is your bag.

That is an excellent idea. Low level VFR is exactly what Im after. I just checked out that plane and ended up on the real world manufacturers site, what an amazing thing! Definitely added to wishlist, exactly what I need to bumble around  - like you said it has a light system load. Have you seen the vid of it doing a turn over a spot 😲

6 hours ago, filou said:

Put MSFS "Bloom" off

I did this already but I didnt check what the visuals looked like with it on so will have a look to compare.

5 hours ago, killthespam said:

Follow this please:

Open task manager

Right click on MSFS 1.15.10.0 and select "go to details"

Find "FlightSimulator.exe"

Right click again and choose from the menu "Set Affinity".

Please, let us know if you have any issues.

I had forgotten how to do that, thanks for the reminder. Will try this with MSFS too.

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I enjoy not having to screw around with settings like I had to do with  FSX and P3D. I just fly, and it looks good to me. 

I got MSFS with that train of thought but it didnt last. For some of us the urge to start tweaking is too great to resist 😁

4 hours ago, styckx said:

Remember there used be threads 10's of pages and longer of people arguing about how to calculate the correct AF numbers.. People were literally almost virtual fist fighting over a line in a CFG file.

Thank god those days are gone

Oh heres a blast from the past! This was to tweak the fsx.cfg Just look at all that. I hasten to add that this was THE advice to follow if you wanted the blurries gone in FSX. It really worked!😀

https://www.simforums.com/FORUMS/nvi-w7810-driver-setup-fsx-fsxse-and-p3d-update_topic59954.html

3 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Early days for me but so far no CTD, stutter yes!  I have got a new rig planned but I will be on this old crate for a while so will have to stick to low and slow. 

3 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Thanks for the commentary, it's good to see some positivity about the sim (and a rational assessment of its faults) around here.  I'm glad you're mostly enjoying it.  🙂  One comment:

You can do this if you have dev mode enabled;  go to the dev menu and pick (IIRC) Window -> Aircraft Selector.

Thank you, just wanted to post that for users who are new and those on weak systems. We cannot enjoy it full bore but what we do have is miles ahead of anything FSX gives. Wow nice intel there about dev mode aircraft swap thanks very much! 😀

2 hours ago, DylanM said:

Thanks for this interesting info. Fortunately Im not!

8 hours ago, filou said:

Okay not too much "Bla bla bla" 

Show me your airport lights shot with your Bloom On and i will show you mine with blooom Off.

Default airport and plane of your choice.

https://ibb.co/0h4Qswp

btw,Perfectly okay if you prefer bloom off....I just prefer it on.

Edited by Isaiah53six
  • Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

22 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Hello friends 😃

So I just hammered the credit card and got the Premium Deluxe on Steam. 

Were you waiting on purpose to purchase it? Like for another PC build, till parts got so expensive and sell out? Just wondering? Maybe for it to get some updates, etc...

How you like it so far just in general? We all know it needs work and has issues for some people and not for others!

Edited by in2tech

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

15 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Funny but true for some people. I have a LOW to MEDIUM system and I am fine. Of course I know my limits too 🙂 Shame on you for buying a Mega Powerful PC. You should know better as you said 🙂

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

23 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Conclusion: even on a weak machine this title is playable however you need to drastically disable/reduce/turn off some elements. Yes that means elements that make MSFS outstanding like the volumetric clouds, live weather etc.

I have an even weaker system than you have, with only 4 gigs of vidoe ram and 8 gigs of system ram, and I have never done a flight without live weather.  I posted a screennshot of my settings a few months ago. I have vsync on and fps capped at between 25 and 20.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Isaiah53six said:

https://ibb.co/0h4Qswp

btw,Perfectly okay if you prefer bloom off....I just prefer it on.

"okay If you want a terrible looking sun and airport lights....."

Next time don't assert what you don't know. There is a difference between  "I prefer" and "It is terrible looking".

sO08uFC.jpg

SwBAZfP.jpg

7SZvKia.jpg

Ge20qab.jpg

10 hours ago, in2tech said:

Were you waiting on purpose to purchase it? Like for another PC build, till parts got so expensive and sell out? Just wondering? Maybe for it to get some updates, etc...

How you like it so far just in general? We all know it needs work and has issues for some people and not for others!

This was unusual for me. I usually wait 12 to 17 months after a title releases to get it. But all the pics and videos I saw of the amazing scenery made me want to get it sooner. Another part of the delay was the worry about my old system. It struggled to run FSX + Orbx (single figure FPS in some regions) but I am frankly shocked at how well it can run MSFS (within reason). 

I really like it so far - but only for light GA flying. Im not feeling it for flying long range in fast jets. Its a very visual title and being at FL410 in a jet..well...you could be in any flight sim. Where this title shines is low and slow bush flying. Last night I was flying low level in the Carbon Cub over Idaho and almost got emotional seeing the terrain graphics 😨 what MS and Asobo have done is incredible 😃. For those of us who dream to fly IRL but cannot this is a wonderful thing. 

I use MSFS for bush flying and X-Plane 11 for airliner (B737-800) flights. They compliment each other well this way!

10 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

I have an even weaker system than you have, with only 4 gigs of vidoe ram and 8 gigs of system ram, and I have never done a flight without live weather.  I posted a screennshot of my settings a few months ago. I have vsync on and fps capped at between 25 and 20.

Wow thats really impressive. You can do that with volumetric clouds also? As soon as I enable the vol clouds my FPS goes into the red ☹️ I found a compromise by having a thin layer of low-rez vol clouds - it looks like FSX clouds but its better than constant clear skies. I must try that vsync trick and FPS cap. The dev mode readout is really impressive I find it so useful.

You got any plans to upgrade? Im putting together a plan for a new system, I want to run this game with some settings full bore. Will be a 11th gen Intel or Ryzen 5800X system with 32GB RAM and RTX 3060 12GB. Will have to be a prebuilt as its near impossible to get a card atm with the silicon shortage. 

Edited by ThrottleUp