Sign in to follow this  
Guest vonVeezelsnider

FSX Patch?

Guest moonrunner

Thanks for the update Phil. I for one really appreciate it.I am a little apprehensive about the 'magic screenies'. ;) You graphic designers get a little carried away at times. Are we talking 'Zanzarah'here? :D Just kidding!Gary

Thanks for the update Phil,I look forward to hearing more about the details in SP1. I understand the hush hush leading up to a product launch, just never really understood why a patch requires the same level of secrecy. This isn't a patch to offer new features, but provides a better ability to enjoy the existing ones on current platforms. Regardless, sure curious to know what the teams "identified tasks" have been (we all understand you can only address so much in a time contraint), and what optimizations have helped with performance (and what that resulted in). Look forward to hearing more from you and sounds like we're still a month (or so) away for the actual release. (My words not yours ..)Down the road when you guys get knee deep in the DX10 one, sure be nice to see the frame counter up in the corner (and system specs) when you go through those "magic screenies" with us.Again, thanks for dropping us a line. Never in my years of business have I seen keeping a customer informed - turn out be a bad thing or hurt sales.Best Regards'Garett

<>Mainly because until we've implemented everything and ran it through some test passes, we won't know for sure which modifications will be in the final patch release (we may determine that a fix that helps out 30% of users winds up making life worse for the other 70% or something :-> )

Guest Sammie22

Makes sense. I am on a beta team for a racing sim, and know that process well. And reading your blog, it's nice to see some improvements to multiplayer, which in my experience suffers from a lot of connectivity issues (people not seeing other people, loss of connections, etc). Any chance of a dedicated server being released? It would be nice to run out of one of my servers in a data center.Thanks,Sammie

Well now I'm smarter (well at least more knowledgable) than I was an hour ago... Thanks Tim.I'm just sure all sides will be happy to get this SP1 out (and installed), more so the sooner the better. I have no doubt there's plenty of other stuff to be working on. Thanks for the info, and I think this would be a great weekend to do some more of those test passes... ;)BTW - Off topic, but if you got any pull tell the team to make sure they add damage modeling in that new Train Sim. Not to the train, but the AI stuff that gets smoked for being on the tracks ... he he ;)Best Regards'Garett

Guest JSPuonti

Personally I REALLY hope one of those identified issues is the shaky multiplayer lobby / connection thing. I've tasted FSX's shared cockpit a couple of times and it's a sweet, sweet experience in the right company, but unfortunately it's hard to get it going when the lobby and connection system works against you, not for you:1) The list of servers updates itself all the time, never "getting it over with". It makes the list appear chaotic, when stuff is constantly shifting this way and that. This would be so much better with manual "Refresh list" and "Refresh selected server" buttons.2) Staying connected to the lobby is an excercise in futility. It's alright as long as you don't do anything except watch the list update itself, but when you try to connect to a server it becomes a gamble. More often than not, the attempt ends in an error message saying something like "You've lost your connection because the host has ended the session" which, of course, is absolutely not true and the server is still very much there. And as if that wasn't enough, when this happens, there is also a very high chance of further mishap - more often than not you not only get thrown back into the server list, BUT might in fact end up getting disconnected from the master server altogether. "Your connection has been lost because you've connected from another computer" or some such nonsense.3) Although less likely than in the lobby, the above disconnection issues still pop up every now and then while you're actually connected to the server. Ending a flight, which should take you to the briefing room, sometimes brings up the "Your connection has been lost..." error and you have to log back into the lobby and try and try and try to get back onto the server - just because you wanted to change planes or join someone else's plane or do anything else in the briefing room.The multiplayer experience itself is much improved over FS9, but unfortunately it's a rare treat due to a shoddy lobby and connection system :(

>I'm just sure all sides will be happy to get this SP1 out (and>installed), more so the sooner the better. >No no. Let them take their time and get it right. They can now do the things they couldn't do 6 months ago.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks Phil,Good to see see that FSX is still in the picture.I'd rather wait a month extra for a SP1 that adresses all issues than getting a half finished one quicker because you guys feel pushed.I still enjoy Fs9 and also bit by bit I am trying to expand my FSX horizon.We will get there eventually.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest vonVeezelsnider

Hey Phil:Is there any chance you guys are looking at improving the texture filtering performance, or doing something to make them filter better, as I see this as the Weakest point of FSX.Chris

Guest psykie

Hello PhilThanks, for responding! I know for myself (probably others) that hearing news once in a while really helps. Even if there is little to report. THANKS!Matthew

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

>Frustration, what else? Coming to the patch what will it>address? Those gigabyte of files which clogs up everything on>its way? or better support for multi core? Both of these look>major rework. My guess is, they'll iron out the mem leak issue>and tone it down to fs9 level.>>8gb of bmp files fighting for your monitor space with one CPU>as the sole arbitrar just does not fly anymore!I'm sorry, but this is the kind of simplistic bombast that drives me nuts. You don't use all the scenery (or even most of it) when you're flying. So 8gb of scenery is not fighting for monitor space. And better support for multi core is MAJOR work. Thread synchronization can be a nightmare. Do you expect them to do this work and test it in 3 months?Like Phil said, they're not "toning it down", they're addressing performance and content issues and we'll most likely get a better sim for it.

I agree with you JackDanielsDrinker. Some people are never satisfied, and most don't have a clue about development or any of the processes that take place during the cycle. If no patch was being worked on, folks would rant about how they're being ignored. A patch is being worked on, very soon after release, and many are still ranting that it won't go far enough, even before they have the first clue as to what it addresses. There is just no winning in some cases with some people.The way I see it, no matter what the issues are with the product, Phil and others on the dev team have been upfront and honest with what they feel can and can't do, and they have shared what they feel they can reasonably share. They recognize some issues in FSX and have said that they will do what they can do to fix or work around them, within the confines of business and technical realities. Some people just choose to ignore these realities or substitute their own instead. Same goes for Vista and DX10. Aces has always made it clear that the update for Vista will come some time this year. They have been clear that hardware didn't exist and Vista wasn't RTM until recently and that it will take time to code, test, and deliver the DX10 update. Still the crazy rants and conspiracy theories continue.

>We are working thru the set of tasks we identified for SP1,>are getting closer to closure and a final test pass, and>should have more to say as far as details in the next couple>of weeks. >In the UK a couple is two. Not four as of today?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>No no. Let them take their time and get it right. They can>now do the things they couldn't do 6 months ago.>>>RhettWait, I'm confused? Why COULDN'T they do it 6 months ago before it was released? Because they were on a timetable and customer satisfaction be d@mned? Probably not a good idea to insinuate that. There are too many things to fix in a service pack imo, yet alone give any semblance of a performance increase. I would be very happy to get the round earth problem fixed for devs so we can start getting some addon airports and scenery for a change. The addons for fsx are slim to none out there right now mostly due to that problem alone. Let's get it fixed Aces so people can finally see the power of this sim.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

?? I am designing two airports for FSX (KSTL and MNMG), and I don't have any problem doing it, either. The both look GREAT and are just about finished.Round earth is rarely mentioned at FSDeveloper. It's mainly a problem for old sceneries imported into FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB