Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

EU bans 90+ airlines

Guest oyvindhansen

Is the Democratic Republic of Congo some sort of free haven for crappy airlines?-

The list is both short (considering the total number of operators in the business) and misleading (in that many if not most of the operators listed don't operate to Europe anyway).The number 90 is furthermore misleading in that multiple entries for some airlines are included when only part of their fleets are banned (like Buraq Air, which has 3 entries listing explicitly which aircraft are and are not banned per type and class of restriction).

It's because Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Liberia, and Swaziland obviously don't have acceptable regulatory procedures - if they have any. It's not surprising to see Liberia on the list, given its well known approach to maritime regulation and safety.

flag of convenience countries exist in aviation as they do in shipping.No safety or operational standards, no reporting or anything, no taxes to be paid (instead pay some token bribes to certain officials), makes those countries extremely convenient to register your company.You basically don't have to conform to any laws of the country you're actually operating in because your ship (or aircraft) and company don't fall under that country's laws.Zaire (or DRC as it's currently known) has effectively no government at all, just some tribal chiefs fighting each other almost constantly.Liberia is similar.Swaziland is a monarchy ruled by royal decree by some tribal chief or other.Eq. Guinea is probably no better off.In all such places you can get any piece of paper signed with an official looking stamp if you only bring enough money, drugs, or weapons.

>It's because Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea,>Liberia, and Swaziland obviously don't have acceptable>regulatory procedures - if they have any. It's not surprising>to see Liberia on the list, given its well known approach to>maritime regulation and safety.Thats like saying if something isnt "accepted" by the FDA in the US, it shouldn't be on the market as a drug. Ridiculous beuocracy that gets in the way of smaller companies from dirt poor countries trying to make a living and allowing wealthy nations to continue their stranglehold on this as well as other markets.

It's funny to see, that the beuocrats of the EU don't even know, how to spell Libya correctly! :-lol

>It's funny to see, that the beuocrats of the EU don't even>know, how to spell Libya correctly! :-lolWhat's even funnier, is that you don't realize they aren't talking about Libya. ;)

>Thats like saying if something isnt "accepted" by the FDA in>the US, it shouldn't be on the market as a drug. Ridiculous>beuocracy that gets in the way of smaller companies from dirt>poor countries trying to make a living and allowing wealthy>nations to continue their stranglehold on this as well as>other markets.Having lived and traveled the world over, I am quite happy to have both the FAA and the FDA standing as a sh**-shield at the gates of my homeland. The safety of a government's citizens should carry a tad more weight than the hurt wittle feelings of the poor wittle companies that can't manage to meet basic safety standards.I've been up-close to aircraft from some of these banned outfits...veritable accidents looking for a place to happen. No civilized country should have to assume the risk they pose to those around them.Bob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

shouldn't that be the choice of the passengers? and what about the air france runway excursion or southwest runway excursion? is that bad safety records? Or is it OK for "civilized" society to make mistakes but anyone else who cannot afford such inspections or who does not have political connections should be banned whenever some mistakes happen?

interesting how no Libya carriers are on there.

"shouldn't that be the choice of the passengers?"The problem isn't just the passengers--it's the people on the ground. They have no choice, other than hoping the government is keeping a watchful eye on their safety. Like Bob, I've flown in the third world and I've seen examples of the aircraft these types of restrictions protect us from. Not everything is about the big bad U.S. or E.U. trying to stomp on the little guy. Some of these restrictions save lives. -John

"interesting how no Libya carriers are on there."I saw Buraq air listed right towards the bottom of the list.

Is a drug that isnt FDA approved unsafe?