Sign in to follow this  
DScoott2

gns 500 installation problems

I have purchased the Garmin 530 and have also downloaded the trainer lite software. The problem is that I cannot locate or open the menu that allows me to choose an aircraft and install it in the trainer lite program. The aircraft I am trying to install it to has a configurator included with the 530 listed as an option, but it doesn't install it either. The unit shows up on the panel, but is completely non functional. Any suggestions would be appreciated. it's mildly frustrating sitting on a $50.00 gps unit that I can't install or use.

Thanx

Dale Scott

Hi,

Would you mind telling what simulator are you using to get started?

Can you also cross-check the RXP GNS User's Manual Troubleshooting chapter where this specific issue is also addressed?

Let us know about this.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Just another user, and I can understand your frustration..

Tell us which simulator, and which airplane, and most likely, one of us can talk you through the steps to make it work!

Bert

I am using FSX se, The aircraft is the A2A 182 Skylane.  The RXP GNSv2 came with the Trainer Lite software. The manual says Trainer Lite has an installation function that is supposed to open automatically, but it is nowhere to be found. I'm wondering if I might have an older version of this software that was made before the installer was included, and if so, where I can find a newer version? Or maybe there is another installation utility available? I dunno. I'm just grasping at straws here.

1 hour ago, DScoott2 said:

The manual says Trainer Lite has an installation function that is supposed to open automatically,

Would you mind telling us the page you're reading this from?

The manual also says in the Troubleshooting Chapter: "Missing Add-On Menu". Did you read it?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

2 hours ago, DScoott2 said:

I am using FSX se, The aircraft is the A2A 182 Skylane.

OK.. one step at a time..

You installed the RXP GNS530 gauge package, correct?

As part of the install, you also installed the Garmin GNS Trainer (in its default location), correct?

For the a2a 182, you selected the RXP GNS530 in the a2a config app, correct?

When you start up the airplane, you see the GNS530 in the panel, correct?

Now what happens?  Does the screen on the GNS stay dark?

When you click on the screen, do you get a popup window?

Does the popup window GNS gauge say GNS 530XP in the top right corner?

Can you please post the contents of the rxp log files (in your Documents folder)?

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Yes to all of the above. The screen remains dark. The popup window is dark and blank as well. Nothing happens when I click on either one.

I installed the trainer lite app, but when I run it there is no addons menu. I tried to follow the instructions in the trouble shooting section. I downloaded and installed sim connect as per instructions. No result. There were instructions to modify the config file, but Windows could not find the file location provided. I also cannot locate the log files you requested,

I am convinced that my problem is lying with the Trainer Lite software. Is the one downloaded with the 530 the only version of it available, and if there is a newer version where can I find it?

52 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I installed the trainer lite app, but when I run it there is no addons menu

You don't run the trainer, it has nothing to do with the expected add-ons menu in the FSX-SE menu bar.

The menu item is managed by a DLL, which loads only if set in the XML file mentioned in the User's Manual. It is supposed to be automatically configured during installation but some of our customers systems are sometimes preventing this from happening and in this case the recourse is to simply and manually edit the XML file, like explained in the User's Manual. This will make sure you have the RXP add-ons menu to launch the Panel Assistant for any aircraft. This specific aircraft though already provides a pre-configured panel and you'd use this aircraft tool instead to get started.

As for the log files, the path is documented in the RXP GNS User's Manual. Can you please let us know in which folder you were looking for the log files?

Edited by RXP

Can you please tell me what section of the users manual the xml file and instructions for editing is located?

4 hours ago, DScoott2 said:

Yes to all of the above. The screen remains dark. The popup window is dark and blank as well. Nothing happens when I click on either one.

What does blank as well, mean?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

It means both the gps and popup screens are black and unresponsive. What section of the manual are the xml file and instructions for editing in please? 

As for the log files, the manual says they are located in a "my Documents" folder. There is no such folder on my computer, and a file search of my entire hard drive failed to find any rxp log files.

I found the section on the xml file, but windows cannot locate it so I can't edit it.

@DScoott2

Just to make sure you're understand what we're talking about and to give you proper directoins, do you actually know what is your account folder and how to use Windows File Explorer to navigate the files on your computer, instead of using any "search" feature in your computer?

Besides you my not have a "My Document" folder exactly named word for word like this in your user account folder, but is there any such folder with at least the word "document" in your user account folder?

As for the XML file this is the same as above: don't search, navigate to instead:

- open a File Explorer window (WIN+E)

- select "This PC" on the left pane

- double click the drive identified as "C:" on the right pane

- navigate to the folder indicated in the User's Manual one folder at a time from left to right (C:/first/second/third/almost_there/last_one)

C:\Users\[name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml

I have tried that. Got as far as \name\ and got stuck. there is no \ AppData\  or anything beyond that to navigate to.