Sign in to follow this  
DScoott2

gns 500 installation problems

On my system, two rxp log files get written to that Documents folder, every time I start up an airplane with an RXP gauge in the panel.

If the gauge show up, but no log files are written, try to go to Windows User Account Control and drag the slider all the way down to : Never notify, and test again.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I don't think the actual gauge is showing up. Just an image of it with a blank screen. I did an experiment and tried all the options in the configurator, and they all look the same, and the default units are the only ones where the Nav/GPS switch will select GPS.

3 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

Just an image of it with a blank screen.

Humour me... does it say GNS530XP in the top right corner?

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

14 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I did an experiment and tried all the options in the configurator

What options are you talking about?

The Default GPS option in the a2a is a GPS400..

Bert

34 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I don't think the actual gauge is showing up. Just an image of it with a blank screen.

Even if the Garmin Trainer is refusing to run (as we are suspecting), the popup gauge should change its lighting when you turn the Avionics switch on and off in the C182.

Also, when you mouse over the knobs, a turn arrow should appear which will allow you to turn the knobs with the mouse wheel..

If you are seeing any of this, trust me, the RXP gauge is indeed running.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I tried all the units in the configurator to see if any of them looked different than what I get when I select the GNS530xp. They all look the same. And no GNS530xp or anything else shows up on the screen. Also the Nav/GPS switch only works when the default 400 is selected. That's why I think the 530 isn't there at all, result: no log files.

8 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I tried all the units in the configurator to see if any of them looked different than what I get when I select the GNS530xp. They all look the same. And no GNS530xp or anything else shows up on the screen. Also the Nav/GPS switch only works when the default 400 is selected. That's why I think the 530 isn't there at all, result: no log files.

Not sure we are communicating... if you are getting tired of this, just let me know 😉

Have a look at my previous screenshot...

The GNS530XP is not on the screen but on the frame..

• Like 1

Bert

2 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

Neither of these things are happening. No change in popup window, no turn arrow.

Can you post a screenshot?

Bert

11 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I tried all the units in the configurator to see if any of them looked different than what I get when I select the GNS530xp. They all look the same.

Sorry, but I do not follow..

Bert

17 minutes ago, DScoott2 said:

I took one, but I cant figure out how to post it here.

Upload it to Imgur.com and get the share link which you post here.

I've also sent you a PM message with my contact information so we can take this offline.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Hi,

Thank you @Bert Pieke for assisting and thank you @DScoott2 for holding on!

First things first: please don't disable UAC. This is not needed for RXP products (nor is required running anything as-admin) and this would open your system to potential risks, let alone this will make existing programs and apps failing probably because they won't be able to locate and use some of their own files properly.

Now back to the issue:

1) we need the log files. Either there is none and the product is never running, or there is one or more and the content will give clues about the issue.

C:\Users\Default\Documents is not YOUR documents and won't help at all.

Instead, look again Bert's screenshot (thank you Bert for this one) and look at the left pane where you see the column of folder names and where "This PC" is highlighted. 2 lines below there is the "Documents" folder and this one is yours. Just select it and your documents will show on the right pane:

aYf9FeY.jpg

When you do, please let us know whether there is any file starting with "rxp" and ending with ".log" and if there is any, just double click each of them to display their content in the Windows application notepad (by default). From then on, you can select all the text, copy (CTRL+C) then paste it into your message in this discussion (CTRL+V).

• Like 1

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

As it turns out, the a2a 182 in FSX-SE is still configuring the older rxpgns gauge and not the newer rxpgns2 gauge... so we copied the rxpgns2.dll entry in the gauges folder and named the copy: rxpgns.dll 😉

Live and learn..

Still no Reality XP entry in the addons drop down though.. over to @RXPto troubleshoot.

Dale will post his log files which have also been located (after we changed the Windows File Explorer to display file extensions..) 😀

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

Thank you Bert for all your assistance with this. It is also an invaluable feedback thread about user experience that I'll keep in mind for the future with regard to how to make the process easier for our customers. The file extension is a good example of how even with all best intentions it is making it hard sometimes for our customers to understand what it is we're talking about our for us to understand what it is they are reporting.

The drop down is solely dependent on the XML file. It requires both the XML file being properly formatted from an XML point of view (there could be user error in copy/pasting the entries), but it must also point to the valid path where the module file is located ( typically for FSX-SE which is 32 bits: C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\32\rxpGNS2_menu.dll )

Something which might have happened: the first time FSX-SE loads a gauge or a module, it prompts the user whether to accept running it. If you click "no", I don't believe there is a UI to re-enable it afterward. However you can do so manually:

1- Open the following file with notepad or any text editor:

C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\fsx.cfg

2- Locate the [Trusted] section

3- Delete each lines referencing a RXP file, for example I can find the file in my system is having the following entry (NB: ? = a random letter):

[Trusted]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Reality XP\GNS Simulation\FltSim\32\rxpGNS2_menu.dll.?????????????????????=1

Some of these entries might end with =1 and others with =2. I don't remember whether '2' is authorized and '1' is disabled though. It is easier to just delete the line(s) and save the file.

4- The next time the simulator runs it will prompt you again for authorization.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)