Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Runway Covered - Juneau, AK Intl (PAJN)

Has anyone tried flying out of Juneau Internatioanl Aiport(PAJN). It seems that the runway is covered by land terrain. This was the airport used for landing competition at the AVSIM conference.

>Has anyone tried flying out of Juneau Internatioanl>Aiport(PAJN). It seems that the runway is covered by land>terrain. This was the airport used for landing competition at>the AVSIM conference.PAJN Runway 8.I am using FSGenesis FSX Mesh!

I have and it's fine. I don't use any outside mesh in Alaska, only the Cloud9 X class textures that come in the Canada package.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I am experiencing the same problem at Sitka as well. However I have detemined that this problem with the terrain mesh engulfing the runway is noticable when on the ground and starts taking over the runway when you are approaching the field at around 1.0nm @ 800'AGL. I am not using any addon scenery with FSX.For any Steven King fans it looks like a scene from The Langoliers.

I've seen many places with texture flashing on the runways. I'm surprised this didn't come up with beta testing.scott s..

I also have seen the problem with default scenery (no addons).When I start to lose the runway texture I simply slide any one of the 3 scenery sliders a small amount and then go back to flying. This seems to re-stabilize the airport ground textures and the runway texture reappears. There is a relationship between the three scenery sliders (Terrain Mesh Complexity, Mesh Resolution, Terrain Texture Resolution) and if one is set much higher then the other two, FSX will try and make a new automated adjustment.

>Has anyone tried flying out of Juneau Internatioanl>Aiport(PAJN). It seems that the runway is covered by land>terrain. This was the airport used for landing competition at>the AVSIM conference.Try a different mesh resolution slider position.

Also I might add, that in designing airports, I have found that in FSX, many times if your underlying poly is not at exactly the same elevation as your runway, you will have display anomalies.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Despite recommendations to adjust the scenery sliders to eliminate this phenomena from occuring I am having no luck. I will likely have to go out and purchase an add on mesh program to get rid of this problem.

Guest FxF3

It seems alright for me. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/165377.jpg"Despite recommendations to adjust the scenery sliders to eliminate this phenomena from occuring I am having no luck. I will likely have to go out and purchase an add on mesh program to get rid of this problem."Their is pleanty of free mesh around to download. If you don't want payware you can check around.

>>Has anyone tried flying out of Juneau >Internatioanl Aiport(PAJN). It seems that >the runway is covered by land terrain.>You would have received a much more precise answer from me if you had told us in your original post that you altered the FSX default PAJN airport scenery.Based on your picture1. Your Control Tower is gone2. Your 2 x 2 Box VASI is missing3. Taxiway signs are in the wrong place4. Ramp Aprons are missing and misplaced5. Taxiways have been changed from what the default FSX has.6. etcAdding Mesh scenery does none of this to FSX because these areas are part of the Airport Facility data that is compiled in the APXnnnnn.bgl.If you want your runway texture to return the way FSX entended thenRemove the 3rd party airport scenery which is probably a FS9 af2_PAJN AFCAD bgl that is in your FSX addon scenery folder or where ever you placed it. hope this helps

Jim,Thanks for your observations on the missing PAJN scenery. I did not realize that by installing the upgraded FSX version of Traffic 2005 from Just Flight would have changed any scenery flies producing the effects that I was seeing but apparently it did, and also caused the moving jetways to disappear at other airport as well. I have corrected problem by removing the Traffic 2005 AFCAD files. Thanks Again,Gideon

GideonThat picture looks a lot better.Some FS9 AFCAD's will work in FSX but it must be a very small GA type airport that does not have a lot of scenery by default. The larger the airport the more a FS9 AFCAD damages the FSX scenery.AFCAD style airports for FSX are slowly starting to show up in the Library but even some of them are not 100 percent compliant and cause problems for the FSX curved world.It is a shame that developers say update for FSX but in the end other areas of the simulator are effected.

>>Gideon>>That picture looks a lot better.>>Some FS9 AFCAD's will work in FSX but it must be a very small>GA type airport that does not have a lot of scenery by>default. The larger the airport the more a FS9 AFCAD damages>the FSX scenery.>>AFCAD style airports for FSX are slowly starting to show up in>the Library but even some of them are not 100 percent>compliant and cause problems for the FSX curved world.>"AFCAD-style" is the operative word here, because I have used AFCAD for a front-end GUI to make modifications, but then I have decompiled the resulting .bgl and tweaked it for use in FSX before running it through bglcomp.I have not noticed any adverse effects of doing this procedure. Certainly, if decompiling and "adjusting" is not done, then strange things can happen.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB