Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

It's been a long time.

I packed up my PC last night and going to ship it back to the manufacturer, for them to hopefully fix it. I got out my 8 year old Dell with an i5  3.1 Gz  with a  Geforce 1060 6MB vram and P3D Version 3.5 . Fired up the PC, hooked all my controls up to it, and launched P3D. Took forever to boot up P3D, guess it was rusty or something. Finally got it running, and I realized that I had totally forgotten all my control button settings for my 4 controllers. Finally got the  A2A Comanche ready to fly and am flying across Florida now.  Took me a few hours to shake out the cobwebs, and get everything working. 

The upside, P3D is as stable as ever , launched it, everything works, no problems, no crashes, no lockups.  The downside, after flying MSFS, for many months, P3D looks like word not allowed. I have ultimate terrain, airport enhancements, and a bunch of add ons that I have forgotten what they are, and it is like flying a 20 year old simulator. I believe that once you fly MSFS, you will find it impossible to revert back to your former sim, without feeling disappointed. It is nice to be able to use the Flight 1 GTN 750 again. Anyway, at least I will have something to fly while waiting for the return of my PC 

• Like 12
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

yep MSFS is the future, it just needs time to mature.

• Like 2

Thomas Derbyshire

This is how I feel as well when I boot up the older sims, yes it's great having all the extra's that I have bought over the years, all the extra aircraft etc. But graphically I'm flying with a heavy heart in these sims, and need the immersion that MSFS brings, the problem is whilst I'm willing for Asobo to fix all the bugs and fully release the potential of MSFS, which can't come soon enough, I'm wishing my life away.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

This is good stuff.  I haven't seen any threads here mentioning P3D and comparing it to MSFS.  Great to know.  Thank you.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

This is a good example of why we should all have a back up plan.

MSFS is a beautiful sim, but it's a monthly work in progress and whatever could go wrong will go wrong. I settled on X-Plane 11 as my primary sim and MSFS as a nice VFR option.

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I packed up my PC last night and going to ship it back to the manufacturer, for them to hopefully fix it.

what problem did you have with it?

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

13 minutes ago, Brandon01110 said:

what problem did you have with it?

It started Yesterday afternoon. Launch MSFS 2020, and within a minute a AMD Driver timeout, which crashed MSFS. Happened everytime. Swapped out GPU, same thing. Got tech support on the line, he remote connected to PC, tried everything for about 1 1/2 hours, and finally said, I better ship it back to them, something major wrong with it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

well, i hope you get it back soon and it works as expected.

• Like 1

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Well there is P3D and then there is Xplane. Xplane has better aerial imagery processing, but also has its own graphical issues, but not as bad as P3D really.
I consider Xplane to be somewhat of a modern simulator, kind of halfway between the others and MSFS, but in the end MSFS will beat them all in visuals and excitement.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Tastes great, less filling.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Worth having a backup plan in case the servers or your Internet goes down. Mine is p3d, downright ugly compared to fs though....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I packed up my PC last night and going to ship it back to the manufacturer, for them to hopefully fix it. I got out my 8 year old Dell with an i5  3.1 Gz  with a  Geforce 1060 6MB vram and P3D Version 3.5 . Fired up the PC, hooked all my controls up to it, and launched P3D. Took forever to boot up P3D, guess it was rusty or something. Finally got it running, and I realized that I had totally forgotten all my control button settings for my 4 controllers. Finally got the  A2A Comanche ready to fly and am flying across Florida now.  Took me a few hours to shake out the cobwebs, and get everything working. 

The upside, P3D is as stable as ever , launched it, everything works, no problems, no crashes, no lockups.  The downside, after flying MSFS, for many months, P3D looks like word not allowed. I have ultimate terrain, airport enhancements, and a bunch of add ons that I have forgotten what they are, and it is like flying a 20 year old simulator. I believe that once you fly MSFS, you will find it impossible to revert back to your former sim, without feeling disappointed. It is nice to be able to use the Flight 1 GTN 750 again. Anyway, at least I will have something to fly while waiting for the return of my PC 

The problem with XPlane and P3D are that they sat there for 10 years without advancing the genre of flight simulators.  It's like they had very little incentive to move the ball forward.  Yeah, they moved the ball forward by like 1 inch a year, for a total movement of 10 inches in 10 years.  Microsoft/Asobo come in and they move the ball forward by 10 miles, compared to the 10 inches of movement by XPlane and P3D.

Now XPlane and P3D risk becoming obsolete as more complex airliners are released for MSFS. The CRJ is the first commercial complex airliner to be released for MSFS. I suspect in 1 year's time, the FBW A320 will start to approach study level.  Then PMDG will release their first study level airliner for MSFS most likely within 1 year (maybe sooner than 1 year, as per PMDG's last comments on MSFS's SDK).

I have said it again and again.  MSFS was like when IPhone was released in 2007.  XPlane and P3D were the Blackberry and Nokia back in 2007.  Yeah, Blackberry and Nokia would survive a few more years after the IPhone release, but the writing was on the wall for Blackberry and Nokia.  If XPlane and P3D don't up their game and make drastic improvements over the next 2 years, my guess is XPlane and P3D will eventually become obsolete just like Blackberry and Nokia.

• Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

It started Yesterday afternoon. Launch MSFS 2020, and within a minute a AMD Driver timeout, which crashed MSFS. Happened everytime. Swapped out GPU, same thing. Got tech support on the line, he remote connected to PC, tried everything for about 1 1/2 hours, and finally said, I better ship it back to them, something major wrong with it. 

Get rid of that amd gpu. Even p3d and fsx had problems with amd gpus

54 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The problem with XPlane and P3D are that they sat there for 10 years without advancing the genre of flight simulators.  It's like they had very little incentive to move the ball forward.  Yeah, they moved the ball forward by like 1 inch a year, for a total movement of 10 inches in 10 years.  Microsoft/Asobo come in and they move the ball forward by 10 miles, compared to the 10 inches of movement by XPlane and P3D.

Now XPlane and P3D risk becoming obsolete as more complex airliners are released for MSFS. The CRJ is the first commercial complex airliner to be released for MSFS. I suspect in 1 year's time, the FBW A320 will start to approach study level.  Then PMDG will release their first study level airliner for MSFS most likely within 1 year (maybe sooner than 1 year, as per PMDG's last comments on MSFS's SDK).

I have said it again and again.  MSFS was like when IPhone was released in 2007.  XPlane and P3D were the Blackberry and Nokia back in 2007.  Yeah, Blackberry and Nokia would survive a few more years after the IPhone release, but the writing was on the wall for Blackberry and Nokia.  If XPlane and P3D don't up their game and make drastic improvements over the next 2 years, my guess is XPlane and P3D will eventually become obsolete just like Blackberry and Nokia.

I totally agree, and MSFS has definitely taken the lead. 

• Like 1