Sign in to follow this  
Immunol

Reinstall - What am I doing wrong?

I have to reinstall due to the MSFS 2020 app being obliterated when I tried to reset it (wouldn't open using the desktop icon). So, I made sure Windows 10 is updated and the apps in the store were updated.  In my library, I clicked "install", checked that I had plenty of space on my SSD, and within 3 seconds of installation it gives me an error. No specifics, just "error". Tried several more times, then rebooted the computer and tried again. No joy.

I couldn't do a standard uninstall of the program before I tried reinstalling because I could find nothing to uninstall - nothing in apps and nothing in the Control Panel Programs.

What am I missing here?  Thanks!

Just had the same thing. MSFS wouldn't launch. My PC is now wrecked after I tried everything and fouled it up.  I think it's something to to do with a Game Services update.

1 hour ago, Immunol said:

I have to reinstall due to the MSFS 2020 app being obliterated when I tried to reset it (wouldn't open using the desktop icon). So, I made sure Windows 10 is updated and the apps in the store were updated.  In my library, I clicked "install", checked that I had plenty of space on my SSD, and within 3 seconds of installation it gives me an error. No specifics, just "error". Tried several more times, then rebooted the computer and tried again. No joy.

I couldn't do a standard uninstall of the program before I tried reinstalling because I could find nothing to uninstall - nothing in apps and nothing in the Control Panel Programs.

Click on the start menu, find the FS icon, right click and select uninstall. Also to avoid the reinstallation, go to your windows store (if windows version), find the sim and try to install it from the store. If you installed to a custom folder (for instance the d drive) just point the installer to that folder when it asks where to install and it will just find all your files and update the bad ones thats preventing it from starting.

Good luck

16 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Click on the start menu, find the FS icon, right click and select uninstall. Also to avoid the reinstallation, go to your windows store (if windows version), find the sim and try to install it from the store. If you installed to a custom folder (for instance the d drive) just point the installer to that folder when it asks where to install and it will just find all your files and update the bad ones thats preventing it from starting.

Good luck

Thanks devgrp, I located the FS icon in the Start menu and clicked "uninstall". It didn't seem to do anything. Also, I tried to install from the store and that's what gave the "error" message. 

34 minutes ago, Immunol said:

Thanks devgrp, I located the FS icon in the Start menu and clicked "uninstall". It didn't seem to do anything. Also, I tried to install from the store and that's what gave the "error" message. 

Try installing from the xbox app. I think thats what I had to do when it didnt work from the store. You can also log out and back in to the xbox app

2 hours ago, Immunol said:

28 minutes ago, Immunol said:

I had a similar issue a few weeks back...error on installing

Ultimately...for me, MSFS would not install because it still saw the MSFS app (that I could not uninstall fully) on the seperate M2 drive.

I had to wipe the drive clean, format it, and then MSFS would install. Fortunately, I have a drive specifically for MSFS, so I did not lose anything.

Jarmstro - You were right about this being a "gaming services" issue. As soon as the MS tech directed me to use PowerShell to update (or replace?) the gaming services app I was able to install MSFS 2020. I was online with a tech for the better part of two hours total. Hope you can get your computer to work!

Never did figure out why the app wouldn't launch using the desktop icon, which was my original issue, but I have a functional app now so I'm happy about that! Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Much appreciated!

1 hour ago, Immunol said:

Jarmstro - You were right about this being a "gaming services" issue. As soon as the MS tech directed me to use PowerShell to update (or replace?) the gaming services app I was able to install MSFS 2020. I was online with a tech for the better part of two hours total. Hope you can get your computer to work!

Never did figure out why the app wouldn't launch using the desktop icon, which was my original issue, but I have a functional app now so I'm happy about that! Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Much appreciated!

Glad you got it sorted. I restored Windows from a previous restore point, formatted my sim drive, reinstalled MSFS together with everything else and after much aggravation am back up and running.