Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

All this performance talk...

I am probably the oldest guy on these forums at 61, pretending to be a pc pilot, yes this is something that I don't let folks in my social circle know about me as they golf and travel the world.  However, I know that many here are power users, with high end machines and thousands of system tweaks.  I always enjoy reading their trial and tribulations as it is entertaining. 

I personally would love a single in game menu toggle switch labeled 'highest and best performance for your system'.  Instead I came across This video that I think best represents what it is like for me to read or watch some of the power users of this sim.  At my level I honestly don't know if this is satire or not, but does not really matter either way, just thought it was fun.

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

"I am probably the oldest guy on these forums at 61,...."       Wait. What? 

You're not even close until until you reach the septuagenarian numbers. 

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

70 here!

• Like 1

Rick Abshier

5900X | RTX3080 | 32 GB@3600 | India Pale Ale

2 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

pretending to be a pc pilot

Got news for you, it ain't pretend anymore when you got a PC and the sim. You really are a PC pilot 😅😅😅

lockquote widget

72 here - you're just a youngin...

On a semi-serious note "power user" can be difficult to define.  Some become knowledgeable through concentrated effort as a hobbyist.  Others are knowledgeable due to careers that required a more hands-on background in computer-optimizing - that was certainly the case for me, though it didn't take long to begin falling behind as I entered semi-retirement.

Even then, I don't have all of the latest hardware to really make this sim shine (and if I were to get it, it would be obsolete in a short period of time).  My main goal is to have it run as smoothly and dependably as possible - I don't need resolutions that are several times the ability of my eyeballs to resolve...

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

umm  I'm 84 Mike!  🙂 

Vic

• Like 5

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

A mere 63 here.  Got very good with FSX and scenery design up to 2014 and let it all go and gave up simming until MSFS came along.  Built a new PC to run MSFS (5600x cpu, rtx3070 gpu and a terabyte m.2 drive).  Getting back into it now and trying to fill in the gaps that have occurred over the last 6 or 7 years.

Great to have a sim like this and have had most of them since FS2 in the early 1990s and entering another great learning curve 

• Like 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

70 here!

The same...... I may grow old but I'll never grow up

• Like 3

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Early 70s here but I am less worried about old age than I am about the onset of puberty ... For the first time in my life, I am starting to break out in pimples.  Back to PC Pilots ... we all are ... we just vary in real life and PC experience.  Most of us are not real world pilots but that does not decrease our enjoyment of this hobby.

Tony 

• Like 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

wow, thank you all for your comments, I feel humbled.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

3 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

wow, thank you all for your comments, I feel humbled.

Mike,

With a history of 1416 posts I am surprised that you were unaware that you are a babe in arms LOL.  It would however, be interesting to find out who the oldest Pilot here is, and how many passengers he/she kills on a regular basis in crashes.  I mention this only because our reflexes and responses definitely slow down as we get older.

As an example, I know of an Air Vice Marshall (very senior RAAF officer) who occasionally flew a Mirage IIIc aircraft at the age of 58.  He was not allowed to fly solo and the instructors who had to fly with him were all terrified.  He did not kill anyone but I believe he came very close on many occasions as he was flying about 50 NM behind what the aircraft was actually doing.  True story.

Tony

• Like 2

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

60's here as well.  Started real time flying in middle age but had to quit again after a few years due to failing my medical (diabetes) shortly after.   

Like Cianpars. I did a lot of third party work for various sims in the early 2000's. and in my case thought about getting back into it in FS2020, but the toxic and demanding entitled nature of the MSFS community made me think again about going to all the effort of learning blender, just to get abused by a 14 year old.

The video is interesting. Most of it is describing how to identify the auto-gen objects in the game and upgrade their appearance from a library of similar real time objects recorded driving around the real world with a dash cam. Instead of actual 3D photogrammetry they have a library of 3D objects they use to improve the autogen.  I think it is deliberately over technical in an attempt to be impressive but it backfired as they made a lot of the younger respondents feel dumb who immediately jumped in to criticise the technique.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

Only in the flight sim community could i feel like a baby at 50... 😄

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

umm  I'm 84 Mike!  🙂 

Vic

Seriously? Good for you! 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom