Sign in to follow this  
Sphynnx

Asobo default airports vs Payware

Is it recommended to remove the Asobo default airport when I have a payware, the same one ?

For example ORBX LOWI.

Thank you

Edited by Sphynnx

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Good question. Only airport I have that specifically stated to delete the default was FSDreamteam's KORD. I read that Flightbeam installers automatically delete any conflicting airports.

Don't know about Orbx but I would think they'd mention deleting the default airport if it is needed.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I usually do since there was an issue with LOWI (Orbx) if the default airport was left.just after initial launch of MSFS. I did hear that any payware in the community folder should over ride any default airport, but i cannot say for certain if this is true or not.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I often see in forums people complaining about 2 towers, trees on runways etc and it's always fixed by removing the default airport.

It's also the first thing the makers ask users to do to see if it fixes the issue so I'd always recommend removing them.

Brendon

Brendon Isaac

I never read to delete default airports in MSFS (or any sim) when you install a payware scenery, it automatically will take precedence over the default one. I have a number of payware airports (including KORD) and would not even know where to remove the default one.

Just now, Jean-Claude said:

I never read to delete default airports in MSFS (or any sim) when you install a payware scenery, it automatically will take precedence over the default one. I have a number of payware airports (including KORD) and would not even know where to remove the default one.

You only have to remove the high quality one's which Asobo has improved which you can find in content manager. The standard ones are fine.

Cheers

• Like 2

Brendon Isaac

10 hours ago, AntillesFlyer said:

You only have to remove the high quality one's which Asobo has improved which you can find in content manager. The standard ones are fine.

What @AntillesFlyer said is correct, based on the experimentation I did a while back.   Any third-party airport can provide exclusion zones, which will override the default data for the area they cover.  However, exclusion zones in add-ons can't fully override the content of other add-ons.

Where this gets confusing is with the stock "enhanced" airports.  Even though these come with the sim, they appear to it just like any other add-on airport.  This is why they show up in the package manager as separate content.   You can further verify this by looking in your OneStore directory and noting that there is a directory for each enhanced airport, with its own package info just like you'd see in your community directory, which isn't the case for the basic default scenery.

This means that if you want to add something that modifies one of the enhanced airports, rather than a default enhanced one, you'll need to disable it, as you do with LOWI, or you'll get conflicting information and objects.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Where this gets confusing is with the stock "enhanced" airports.  Even though these come with the sim, they appear to it just like any other add-on airport.  This is why they show up in the package manager as separate content.   You can further verify this by looking in your OneStore directory and noting that there is a directory for each enhanced airport, with its own package info just like you'd see in your community directory, which isn't the case for the basic default scenery.

Thank you for the detailed explanation, and thank you to the OP for his question leading to it, I am sure that many learnt something new... 

However "deleting" is not the proper word as mentioned earlier since it would lead to a re-download each time we launch MSFS, you say "disable it" may I please ask you to clarify how to do this please?

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jean-Claude said:

However "deleting" is not the proper word as mentioned earlier since it would lead to a re-download each time we launch MSFS, you say "disable it" may I please ask you to clarify how to do this please?

Of course.  🙂

And, you know, I'm almost positive that at some point the Content Manager allowed you to toggle installed content on and off with a checkbox.   But either I'm misremembering or at some point it was taken away because I don't see it there any more, which makes this slightly more awkward.

At this point, what you'd need to do is go into the content manager from your profile, search for the ICAO of the airport you want to remove, click it so that a check mark appears on the left side of its box, and then at the bottom of the screen hit the Delete button.

The sim will then uninstall it, but the airport won't then disappear from the content manager.  It will just show up as being uninstalled.   You can reinstall it at any point by reselecting it in the content manager and clicking Install.

If you buy LEMD then you have to uninstall the Asobo airport or you will get all sorts of problems. I assume you only need to do this for airports which have been enhanced by Asobo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

the Content Manager allowed you to toggle installed content on and off with a checkbox

This is correct. However, for all other "enhanced" airports not part of the Content folder, i.e. in the OneStore folder, it is not possible to either de-activate or delete them, should we delete them, this will be automatically detected upon the next launch of MSFS and we will have no choice but re-download them. Now regarding specifically KORD from FSDT, there is no instruction to remove the "enhanced" version in MSFS, this is done automatically by the FSDT scenery. Additionally, should one uninstall the FSDT scenery, the stock MSFS airport will not be re-instated (as per this post). This is what triggered my attention when reading this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

26 minutes ago, Jean-Claude said:

However, for all other "enhanced" airports not part of the Content folder, i.e. in the OneStore folder, it is not possible to either de-activate or delete them, should we delete them, this will be automatically detected upon the next launch of MSFS and we will have no choice but re-download them.

You sure about that?  I just launched the sim and deleted KJFK then restarted it, and it still shows up as uninstalled.  Also, pretty sure KORD isn't one of the hand-crafted airports, so it shouldn't cause this sort of problem, AFAIK.

Of course, it's always possible I'm wrong.  It's been known to happen.  More than I'd like.  😄

1 hour ago, kaosfere said:

You sure about that?

Positive. To double check that I deleted KORD in the OneStore folder and upon launching MSFS, the update screen came up with the download of KORD which I could not avoid.

15 minutes ago, Jean-Claude said:

To double check that I deleted KORD in the OneStore folder

Ah, I suspect that's where you're going wrong.   Don't delete it from OneStore.   Instead, go into the Content Manager and delete it there as I described above:

Flight-Simulator-1lin-Ct382v.png

If you do that, then when you restart it won't be reinstalled.

I did say one thing wrong above, KORD is one of the hand-crafted airports.  When I checked the list I didn't read down to the Deluxe/Premium editions.  :}    But I did just try this process with KORD on my system and it worked as expected.

Edited by kaosfere

Thanks, I too made that mistake. I had checked the list in Content and did not see KORD (other than my FSDT version)...I have 206 installed add-ons of all kinds and missed it when reviewing the list. I then went to the OneStore folder where I could see it and deleted it. It is somewhat difficult to identify between enhanced and hand-crafted airports and this is where my mistake came from, the hand-crafted are in the Content, the others are in OneStore. In any case FSDT had covered that and it does seem to be necessary to delete KORD to use their product as per their post. But this was a useful exercise to review this point. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Jean-Claude