Sign in to follow this  
Brad27

A rant from the heart

7 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

Is there anything special to modifying the cfg instead of turning it off in UI?

Thanks.

I believe in the UI, when you select EA, HDR is not able to be turned off, so you have to do it via the .cfg in order for it to work; that may have changed though.

Simon

Simon

In the last 2 months I have only flown in MSFS to testfly the Prosim 737 NG. 
As Prosim runs outside MSFS/P3D l do not suffer from AC issues that other  users report.

The groundscenery in MSFS looks like an updated version from what I have in P3D. In P3D I use pr scenery + custom AG + POIs so I can make a good comparison.

Tevens with High Res Textures enabled and LOD set to Max the ground scenery in MSFS is sharper in the far distance. As I use a larger zoom value I can clearly see a difference.

Autogen : in P3D you mainly see seperate houses where in MSFS you see larger connected houseblocks like in reality.

Orbx is incorporating houseblocks in their True Earth products but this is mainly for larger cities. All these seperate houses : like all the virtualiteit people in the Fs world are rich and have their own villa.

So imho there is a lot to do regarding the AG. The base is the same as with Fs2000.

Regarding EA : we see that it has potential, but it still has a long way to go. The clouds in MSFS look better than the clouds in P3D looking at them from within my home cockpit.

P3D is more stable than MSFS for most and it has a much more enhanced Simconnect/SDK. That is very good for complex airliners.

Communication : LM never shows anything that is coming while Asobo/MS shares info on a regular base. As we live in a multimedia world imho LM could communicate better than they are doing now. The 2 so called support persons at the LM forum ... pffffff....

LM will loose more and more customers if they : 1 do not communicate a little more often , and 2 do not improve ground and sky. And if those customers switch to MSFS many third party developers will follow and there will be even less new addons for P3D....

Regards, Gerard

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

All I am going to say is: I wish Microsoft / Asobo would stop screwing it up with 3rd party developers:

• Give me a freaking workable SDK, open your platform what's the point in keeping it closed?

• Stop ghosting the people that keep the hobby alive while you guys call it quits 10 years ago.. what's the point in having an NDA with all of us if you are only speaking with a selective prime group of developers? do you guys think your platform only need airliners and scenery? read above all the frustrations from users.. the platform is lacking lots of stuff, you don't need to build everything, we all have the solutions already, stop re-inventing the wheel..

• Why closing now the 3rd party MSFS developing forum? so now we have less ways and means to talk to you? DO YOU REALLY WANT TO WORK WITH US? Actions speak louder than words.

• Why on earth your latest open Beta program had only 300 people? you guys said there were over 400 developers working with you.. does it makes sense we all missed the chance to test your latest closed beta? how does that helps 3rd party developers, Microsoft and Asobo to improve the quality of your platform? how does that reflects in your open statement view that you want to work with 3rd party developers?

So yea that's my rant.. I am sick of all of these..

Now P3D:

• To people thinking LM will go and speak public about P3D, plans, etc. you can all forget it.. it is not going to happen it is not the policy of LM and I don't see it happening. So if this is a decision factor for you then stop hoping and then move along to MSFS live with the issues expressed on this thread.

• EA: It is sh**t yes.. does LM knows? you can be sure they do as I remind them about it pretty much every week, in fact every Monday when I have the chance I tell them.. Are they listening to me? perhaps.. time will tell. I am under NDA so I can't say anything else.

• AG: Yes.. it is very outdated.. will this change? I think it will, but it will take a very long time..

• Is P3D dead? NO

• When it will be dead? Seriously you asking yourself that?? who knows.. You could be dead tomorrow, next year, 20 years from now... Software development doesn't last forever, neither carbon base life forms..Enjoy your life and what you have now..

• You sure P3D is not dead? YES, it is a split market (for serious simulator enthusiasts, no gamers) where P3D still holding 30 to 40% of it.. will it remain like this? increase or decrease? I don't know.. some people just go to MSFS, others drop it.. time will tell it will depend on 2 factors: A) LM developing team and B)MSFS developing team.. can A) step up? and can B) stop mocking around with devs?

• What the future holds? More frustrations for everyone for sure.. so yea.. this is not over.. sadly. You can all thank political games at top corporation levels, which as usual only bring struggles for power, injustice, and lack of improvements for quality of life for the common people.

On the plus side, at least I have my first vaccine shot.. 

Thanks,

Simbol

Edited by simbol
  • Like 21
  • Upvote 9

Maybe this Topic should be closed.....as this is only leading to frustrations...and not helping anyone....

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I’ve seen nothing posted in the last 12 hours to shutdown discussion. Most people are sensible and know what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

• Like 18
  • Upvote 8

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I see no reason to close the topic. Brad highlighted some very important points (and Raul added a few more!), and I would like to read the thoughts and opinions of the rest of the flight simulation community regarding this.

Frankly, I am on the fence at the moment. Actually, correct that. I am between two fences in a virtual no man's land. Part of the reason for this is my own fault. I had been messing about with high quality airliners following magenta lines for so long (and not even using half of the available systems and features) that I forgot what it was like to hand fly a simple GA plane to all of those lovely little grass strips and small airfields that are everywhere in the UK.

Having said that, I am currently taking a break from flight simulation. I am burned out, and I need a rest. I need time to rejuvenate my enthusiasm, but when (if) I do return, I will not be flying those airliners again. In fact, I have uninstalled all of them (PMDG 737/747/777, and the QW 787). I used to fly the Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang to a lot of those smaller airfields (because I can get it in and out of strips barely 2000 feet long, and also because it lands/taxis very smoothly compared to some other GA planes). When the time is right, I may just update the Mustang to the P3Dv4 version (for a nominal fee), and fly to those little strips once again.....

You may be thinking that the new Microsoft Flight Simulator would be perfect for me with its enhanced photorealistic graphics and suitability for VFR flights. You may be right, but the lack of features, forced updates, and reports of problems/issues/bugs have held me back. A part of me really does want to start from scratch with something completely new, but another part of me knows full well that I would not enjoy a "half baked" solution. Not that this matters at the moment. I do not have any desire for flight simulation as I type these words, so whether I would like it or not is currently a moot point.

So, I will sit in that no man's land for some time, and occasionally have a peek over both fences to see what is happening. Until then, I will enjoy driving lots of fancy cars in Assetto Corsa :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I’ve seen nothing posted in the last 12 hours to shutdown discussion. Most people are sensible and know what’s acceptable and what isn’t.

Fair enough.......

Regards

Marcus

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

4 hours ago, simbol said:

On the plus side, at least I have my first vaccine shot..

Got my first vaccin shot last weeks Monday 💉 

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Long quoted post mostly removed.
  • Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I guess mentioning MSFS in this forum is actually OK as long as we're dogpiling on it. 

facepalm.gif

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 hours ago, simbol said:
  • You sure P3D is not dead? YES, it is a split market (for serious simulator enthusiasts, no gamers) where P3D still holding 30 to 40% of it.. will it remain like this? increase or decrease? I don't know.. some people just go to MSFS, others drop it.. time will tell it will depend on 2 factors: A) LM developing team and B)MSFS developing team.. can A) step up? and can B) stop mocking around with devs?

Simbol, genuine question and I'm curious to hear your answer: how are you defining these highlighted terms for purposes of defining the market?

I think we all accept that there are clear-cut cases on either end of this spectrum (you know, 30-year Avsim veteran with a home cockpit on one side, Gamepass "let's give this a try" gamer who's never touched a flightsim before and uses MSFS for 5 minutes on the other). But I'm not sure how you can easily categorize the remaining mass of people using MSFS, P3D and other flightsims in varying proportions at various times. Is it how much time they spend? How much money? Whether they have peripherals? Whether they use mods? What aircraft they fly?

Curious what you think the most salient criteria are. It seems to me that how you assign the market share depends hugely on where you're drawing the lines, so I'd be very interested to hear how you're drawing them.

James

Edited by honanhal

1 minute ago, honanhal said:

Simbol, genuine question and I'm curious to hear your answer: how are you defining these highlighted terms for purposes of defining the market?

I think we all accept that there are clear-cut cases on either end of this spectrum (you know, 30-year Avsim veteran with a home cockpit on one side, Gamepass "let's give this a try" gamer who's never touched a flightsim before on the other and uses MSFS for 5 minutes on the other). But I'm not sure how you can easily categorize the remaining mass of people using MSFS, P3D and other flightsims in varying proportions at various times. Is it how much time they spend? How much money? Whether they have peripherals? Whether they use mods? What aircraft they fly?

Curious what you think the most salient criteria are. It seems to me that how you assign the market share depends hugely on where you're drawing the lines, so I'd be very interested to hear how you're drawing them.

James

Hi honan,

Indeed it is hard, and it is one of the things I was very disappointed with the recent surveys since it didn't help much to expose these specific figures further.

It is clear MSFS had brought new "USERS" lots.. but how many remain active? how many are casual? how many used it for a while and left? how many of the active user base are happy with defaults and therefore do not invest in DLC? etc.

So I have 2 ways to draw the lines (Call it 2 different classification which are 2 groups NON-EXCLUSIVE to each other), one is number "actively expending DLC content users" in other words people that buys add-ons because they like expanding their platforms on a regular basis. And another is the number of people that were part of the FSX / P3D ecosystem and have either moved away from P3D, remained, went to MSFS and came back.

As a developer, to me the size of the market is not the number of people using platform A, B or C. It is the number of people willing to expend money to improve their platform as that is where the ROI (Return of Investment to develop a add-on) is located.

Hopes that makes sense.

Regards,
Simbol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, simbol said:

As a developer, to me the size of the market is not the number of people using platform A, B or C. It is the number of people willing to expend money to improve their platform as that is where the ROI (Return of Investment to develop a add-on) is located.

That makes perfect sense, but I'm not understanding how you're measuring (or estimating that). What I mean is, of course that's the real number you're interested in as a developer. But is there a way to get that number directly? I would have thought not -- which is why you use these other proxy measures to try to estimate it. No?

James

6 minutes ago, honanhal said:

That makes perfect sense, but I'm not understanding how you're measuring (or estimating that). What I mean is, of course that's the real number you're interested in as a developer. But is there a way to get that number directly? I would have thought not -- which is why you use these other proxy measures to try to estimate it. No?

James

As Developers we have better insight because number of sales, number active users of our add-ons, etc. Be aware I don't work only for FSReborn.. I have many partners which I work with to develop DLC, and also I have very good friends selling DLC for multiple platforms.

So, I have some stats that are very valuable to help me to determine the information. Which for obvious reasons are confidential and I cannot disclose..

All the best,

S.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simbol said:

As Developers we have better insight because number of sales, number active users of our add-ons, etc. Be aware I don't work only for FSReborn.. I have many partners which I work with to develop DLC, and also I have very good friends selling DLC for multiple platforms.

So, I have some stats that are very valuable to help me to determine the information. Which for obvious reasons are confidential and I cannot disclose..

Fair enough! As an outsider looking in, I'm still left wondering what the real user figures look like. P3D developers whose products adapt well to MSFS (e.g. scenery) have overwhelmingly shifted their efforts to MSFS, so it stands to reason that they're drawing a different set of conclusions. Maybe they have different data, or maybe it's a question of interpreting the same data differently.

Anyway, thanks for sharing how you approach it. It's always interesting to me.

James

• Like 2