Sign in to follow this  
Brad27

A rant from the heart

If I could boil things down into a nutshell, it would go back to this sage old wisdom: "The key to happiness is to focus on wanting what you have, not on having what you want."

From my perspective as a pilot who first taught real-world USAF student pilots in a full-motion simulator nearly 40 years ago, we have a *lot* now with P3D in its current form.  I'd have loved to have the kinds of tools that I have in my man cave now back when I was teaching students in the T-38.  Most of the buzz (and the angst) with brand X is that people are fixated not on what they have (which is really deeply flawed), but on what they hope they might have in the future.  The flight dynamics are still boofered nine months in..."it's coming."  The weather engine doesn't really set current weather nor does it allow you to set one of the most basic wx parameters--visibility..."it's coming."  There are no high-fidelity complex aircraft..."they're coming."  I don't want any more weekly changes to keep breaking my sim.  "They're coming, too."

With P3D v4 or v5, even without the artistic but intermittent appeal of EA in v5, I can still do the important weather stuff from a pilot's perspective--set winds, ceilings, and visibility fairly accurately so that a CAT II ILS approach to mins, or a low-vis circling approach, etc can be done in a way that approximates the real challenges weather presents.  I have a virtual hangar full of acft that let me fly and manage an aircraft's systems and navigation as I would in real life.  And, despite an undeniable slowdown in new scenery coming to market, I still have hundreds (325+ at last count) of add-on airports available to me that, despite not all being cutting-edge pretty, still well-approximate the approach, departure, takeoff, and landing environment pretty well.  And it's stable...you aren't forced to install sim updates that break things, and you can go back and re-install a previous working version if something doesn't work out the way you want/need.  That stability is not a trivial thing--it's the very desirable flip-side to roughshod and careless "progress."

I think development for P3D will continue, albeit I grant you, at a significantly slower pace due to the dilution effect from having developers trying to cash-in on the Brand X market.  Whether that market proves sustainable past the honeymoon phase from millions of gamers taking a look-see is unknown.  I don't have a crystal ball...and neither do the Brand X fans loudly proclaiming to know what the future holds.  But then again I don't need a crystal ball to enjoy what works well and which I already have, and I do that daily without so much as an anxious glance elsewhere.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 3

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

V4.5 was the best P3D version in years.

Then came V5.0....  Better performance ! But several issues for many users. And an EA preview mode. Now several HF + V5.1 HF 1 further EA has not improved much. 
It gives me the FSX DX10 preview mode feeling.

Imho V5.2 has to be released only then when the most important issues have been solved and EA has been improved a lot. Sure it is taking longer than ‘normal’ with an update but it might be that they are redesigning parts from scratch. Something we will not know.

If LM can make EA work as intended, if they can fix the most important issues and if they will improve the oldfashined AG, then P3D might have a bright future.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, nirgal76 said:

you're right. Stop calling it MSFS2020, in reality, it is MS Flight 2 😛 

I call it Microsoft flight simulator or msfs because that’s what the developers call it 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

11 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

As far as the waiting game is concerned, I have been waiting nearly a decade for Space Shuttle Mission Simulator 2, and I suspect that it will be another decade before the cancellation is finally announced.

It seem the cancellation is already made see

https://www.gamepressure.com/games/space-shuttle-mission-simulator-2/za25b1

I remember when they said it was expected to be released at Christmas hinting that it was almost finished. So why could they not finish it?

11 hours ago, micstatic said:

I call it Microsoft flight simulator or msfs because that’s what the developers call it 

The producers, not the developers

i9-10850k - Asus Tuf Z490+ - 32 Go DDR4 - RTX 3070 8Go MSI Trio X

Does he know something we don’t ?

Première 25 mai 2021 ....

Edited by GSalden
  • Like 2

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

40 minutes ago, GSalden said:

Does he know something we don’t ?

Première 25 mai 2021 ....

Hes been dropping hints on the facebook group for months that 5.2 is about to release, whether he has inside knowledge or not remains to be seen but eventually his persistence will be proven correct!

some people crave attention, else why would anyone need premiered YT instructions on how to update apart from absolute newbies! clickbait I think 

Edited by kand
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, w6kd said:

If I could boil things down into a nutshell, it would go back to this sage old wisdom: "The key to happiness is to focus on wanting what you have, not on having what you want."

From my perspective as a pilot who first taught real-world USAF student pilots in a full-motion simulator nearly 40 years ago, we have a *lot* now with P3D in its current form.  I'd have loved to have the kinds of tools that I have in my man cave now back when I was teaching students in the T-38.  Most of the buzz (and the angst) with brand X is that people are fixated not on what they have (which is really deeply flawed), but on what they hope they might have in the future.  The flight dynamics are still boofered nine months in..."it's coming."  The weather engine doesn't really set current weather nor does it allow you to set one of the most basic wx parameters--visibility..."it's coming."  There are no high-fidelity complex aircraft..."they're coming."  I don't want any more weekly changes to keep breaking my sim.  "They're coming, too."

With P3D v4 or v5, even without the artistic but intermittent appeal of EA in v5, I can still do the important weather stuff from a pilot's perspective--set winds, ceilings, and visibility fairly accurately so that a CAT II ILS approach to mins, or a low-vis circling approach, etc can be done in a way that approximates the real challenges weather presents.  I have a virtual hangar full of acft that let me fly and manage an aircraft's systems and navigation as I would in real life.  And, despite an undeniable slowdown in new scenery coming to market, I still have hundreds (325+ at last count) of add-on airports available to me that, despite not all being cutting-edge pretty, still well-approximate the approach, departure, takeoff, and landing environment pretty well.  And it's stable...you aren't forced to install sim updates that break things, and you can go back and re-install a previous working version if something doesn't work out the way you want/need.  That stability is not a trivial thing--it's the very desirable flip-side to roughshod and careless "progress."

I think development for P3D will continue, albeit I grant you, at a significantly slower pace due to the dilution effect from having developers trying to cash-in on the Brand X market.  Whether that market proves sustainable past the honeymoon phase from millions of gamers taking a look-see is unknown.  I don't have a crystal ball...and neither do the Brand X fans loudly proclaiming to know what the future holds.  But then again I don't need a crystal ball to enjoy what works well and which I already have, and I do that daily without so much as an anxious glance elsewhere.

w6kd - In a nutshell I can only concur. I have the same background as yourself but with the RAAF. It would have been an amazing teaching tool to have had to get students sorted out with procedural stuff and for simple practice and now it is! It is basically this system that is now integrated into real aircraft electronics so you can run the same scenario in the sim then go and plug into a real aircraft and then do it again for real! Not sure what half these simmers are whingeing about or what they expect - I guess if you have done enough real world flying then you can actually appreciate how impressive this is sitting on a desk top PC!

Edited by coastaldriver
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, simbol said:

I would ignore..

S.

You’re probably right 😬

But I hope that he is right .... 🤠

1 minute ago, GSalden said:

You’re probably right 😬

But I hope that he is right .... 🤠

Have I released my updated version of AILRP witch will include some new landing lights? :wink:

3 minutes ago, simbol said:

Have I released my updated version of AILRP witch will include some new landing lights? :wink:

Please, let me be happy with my phantasy 😫

Btw : your lights , can’t fly without them 👍

Edited by GSalden

3 hours ago, nirgal76 said:

The producers, not the developers

actually both.  all the major developers are also calling it msfs.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, simbol said:

Hi Simbol,

When are you planning on releasing an updated version of AILRP? 🙂  

On a completely unrelated note I'm really hoping 5.2 brings some much needed improvements and bug fixes...the longer it takes the firm the hold MSFS cements...

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs