Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

I abandoned VR eventually :)

13 hours ago, flibberflops said:

Its the same story with MSFS2020. I don't think the software vr performance will change much from this point forward and you can't even buy yourself out of it because even a top CPU/GPU combo doesn't cut the mustard.

For me at least, with a 2080 Super and i7 at 5Ghz, performance in VR now is much better than when the VR beta started. I even turned a few VR graphics settings up the other day and it handled it fine. Asobo are definitely making improvements there. I'm excited to see what a 3090 can do when they become more available and drop in price.

I totally respect people's different experiences, but I can't imagine going back to monitors now. I've always found comfort in the Reverb G2 to be excellent and I often do 2 hour flights with any issues.

With that said, I mainly fly smaller GA where having the situational awareness that VR gives you really helps. (Plus there's fewer gauges, knobs and dials to see).  If I was flying airliners I probably wouldn't get as much out of VR vs a 4k monitor.

On 5/17/2021 at 3:19 PM, MrFuzzy said:

At least I can learn from mistakes

If you really learned from them, you would have kept it and trained your brain to adapt.

When I first got my headset I would, depending on the game, also feel sick to my stomach within minutes. (War Thunder was unplayable for  me because of this)

So I tried different stuff that did work got used to the feeling and now the motion sickness is gone even in games that I couldn't stand at first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nickhod said:

I'm excited to see what a 3090 can do

You van run open XR at 100% and also in sim render scale at 100% in most scenarios. This helps immensely with clarity. I do not struggle to see anything. 

• Like 2

I'm also at 100 and 100. Clarity is excellent with re-projection off, and still very good with it on in WMR dev tools. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Farlis said:

If you really learned from them, you would have kept it and trained your brain to adapt.

When I first got my headset I would, depending on the game, also feel sick to my stomach within minutes. (War Thunder was unplayable for  me because of this)

So I tried different stuff that did work got used to the feeling and now the motion sickness is gone even in games that I couldn't stand at first.

No, honestly as I wrote in the opening post it was 99% for the discomfort of having that thing on my face.

I didn't have motion sickness with FS2020, Assetto Corsa and Automobilista 2 and I bought the HMD for these games.

HL Alyx was just an attempt to try something different with the controllers and all, but didn't work out for me either.

i9 10850K @ 5 GHz / 32 GB 3200 MHz CL16 / RTX 3090 / Acer Predator X34P G-Sync

The rear 100gram weight made a very big comfort improvement for me. It removed the weight off my forehead and cheeks, and the side bands can be loosened completely. Unfortunately what it does add is swing weight if you need to rotate your head rapidly

Edited by dogmanbird

I'm flying the Bell 47G with only a GTX 1080 and Odyssey+, OpenXR and Sim rendering at 90, 90, reprojection on and refresh rate dialed down to 60 (for some reason this seems OK on the OLED screen whereas it noticibly flickered on a previous LCD HMD).  So not the top end system, or headset, but in that helicopter the experience is incredible.  Instruments could be a bit sharper, but there's not many of them.  Being able to look downwards at what is below is just an incredible experience.  That said, it's a beast to control and though I'm pretty VR hardened it can get a bit nauseating (all part of the experience).  But trying to keep tabs on the instruments in an airliner with this setup would be another experience altogether and I would not recommend VR for this because of the lack of clarity.  For now though I'm just having too much fun in the Bell.

1 hour ago, Grindathotte said:

But trying to keep tabs on the instruments in an airliner with this setup would be another experience altogether and I would not recommend VR for this because of the lack of clarity.  For now though I'm just having too much fun in the Bell.

I admit an airliner might be a bit of a handful (even after you factor out that most of an the trip is sitting on your hands) but I'm about to try Voiceattack to lesson the load back into fun again.

I also suspect that some people forget that the right mouse button zooms you right down to where you're looking, just like X-Plane vr does.

Anyways... Here is Elise.

Edited by HiFlyer

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.0GHz / 32.0GB G.SKILL Trident Z Series Dual-Channel Ram / MSI Gaming Z Trio GeForce® RTX 3080 Triple Fan 12GB / Sound Blaster Z / Oculus Rift VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 2x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 1x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1000GB / 5 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity each / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5 Motherboard

6 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

No, honestly as I wrote in the opening post it was 99% for the discomfort of having that thing on my face.

That one I can totally understand.

I sweat like a pig under those things and after two hours of wearing it my hair looks it hasn't been washed for 3 days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Farlis said:

That one I can totally understand.

I sweat like a pig under those things and after two hours of wearing it my hair looks it hasn't been washed for 3 days.

Folks also be aware of HMD hygiene. Constantly sweating in your headset and not properly storing nor sanitizing can lead to some pretty nasty sinus/eye infections and skin fungus growth also.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I bought a Reverb G2. I never even got it to light up. Just a total black screen. I tried just about everything.

HP help phone and chat was no help at all.

I bought on ebay (30 day return policy and seller which was HP itself pays return shipping).

The HP sellers' messaging on eBay made me take many photographs of all the parts. Took days to do that. Promised to send me a replacement USB a to USB c adapter which I never received.

It took the whole month of work to get zilich help from HP, but after the 30 days passed, eBay stepped in and refunded all my money after I sent it back.

HP customer service stinks. You can't just send something back like you can on Amazon. They make you jump through hoops for days on end.

I guess I'll try Oculus next (because Amazon does not sell HP Reverb except at way over list prices).

Amazon will cheerfully take anything back right away with no hassle, and they pay all fees and postage etc.

Ryzen5 5600X, RTX3070, 600 Watt Gold, Dell S3222DGM 32" curved 1440p VA, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB M.2. NVMe...Warthog HOTAS, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels (multi, switch, radio), StreamDeck, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I went VR for cockpit based Sims back in 2016, I could never go back to pancake.

I appreciate it's not for everyone, different people have different needs and issues, but personally I've found VR to be an absolute game changer and i simply cannot play any aforementioned cockpit based Sim without it.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 10 64bit, Gigabyte Auros Pro Mobo, i9-9900k CPU, Gigabyte 2070Super GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

^ same for me

I'm convinced that science hasn't yet been able to explain everything to do with human sight, and some folk cannot see or tolerate what others can, regardless of what we know about rods, cones etc. 

Those who can make VR work for them visually, and don't suffer side effects like nausea, are very lucky I reckon. It must cut a huge chunk out of the potential sales market  

I tried again last night in a few landing challenges.....I will wait the next sim update and see what that brings. I had fun, I just wish the FOV was much wider..... (G2) Peripheral vision would help immensely. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2021 at 1:34 AM, blueshark747 said:

Crazy we are witnessing so many turned off Reverb G2 owners lately across several forums and Reddit.

I could never go back to 2D pancake simming (even if its an 8K monitor) after experiencing the in presence feeling of FOV and stereoscopic 3D in VR.

When MS/Asobo gives us some better color/brightness/VR Pointer options in a VR update and I'm all set.

I find the negativity around the Reverb G2 to be a bit odd.  I have been using VR for years without any problems with fit, weight, sharpness or playability.  I race a lot in VR with Assetto Corsa and iRacing.  The Reverb G2 gives smooth 90 fps racing with superb sound and settings at max. the Reverb G2 isn't far off 2K monitor sharpness.  I tried Assetto Corsa Competizione, but the game developers haven't optimised the game for VR so I don't play it - hardly the fault of the G2.  I don't understand the comment about VR not being as sharp as a monitor in MSFS2020.  It like running it on a 1080p monitor and complaining it isn't as sharp as 4K.  VR, especially the Reverb G2, puts you in the aircraft - something a flat monitor is never going to give you.  Of course this doesn't make the monitor poor in any respect because the two technologies give different benefits.

If I'm going to fly a VFR cross country or circuits i'll put the G2 on for the immersion.  If I want to fly with charts and external software, ill fly on the monitor.  I have a choice.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home