Sign in to follow this  

Anyone tried FSX Space Shuttle from Capt Sim?

I'm interested by their advertising, they seem to be saying they will gauge sales of this one before expanding on FSX's much higher altitude capabilities over FS9.I owned and loved the early DOS Shuttle sim, and the SALS one that had some real input from NASA.

Waste of your time.. You can only glide it to the surface and that's it. None of the actual shuttle systems are there either. Some flashing screens with pre programmed movies for the illusion. The VC/cabin/model are of the usual top notch quality but there is just nothing to do with it.. you are going to sit there, drop down to earth and then do nothing. Repeat.

Guest PPSFA

Its fun for an hour then once you have mastered the landings, its boring. There is no launch, no missions, and to stay in orbit is a real pain, it can be done but its not modeled in. Two thumbs down here.

"There is no launch" :-hmmm Then how in the heck do you get into space???

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest PPSFA

it defaults to 400,000 ft, then you leave it in 'slew' mode so the autopilot controls the descent trajectory down to around 10-30k then you manually land it....as I said before, after you master this, about 30 minutes here, its as insteresting as watching paint dry.

Now, Now...think back to your college days, getting into space is quite easy with or without the Space Shuttle :-lol It's coming back down to earth that was the problem!!!! :-lol

If its modeled right, then even just gliding the shuttle down to a successful landing would be of interest to me, especially a night landing.I bought the original SALS Shuttle landing sim as well as Virgin's Shuttle sim back in the old DOS days of 1992 and some people really do enjoy that kind of thing :) I know I did.Anyway, the point of my post was, what Captain Sim have available just now is just a primer to gauge interest before considering something more substantial, unfortunately if posts here are representative? then it wont go any further, but thats fair enough, democracy in action and all that :)I have downloaded the Orbiter stuff, but so far haven't really sat down with it to give it a good testing, I will soon, but I really would like to see a dedicated Shuttle simulation, even though I can understand why many might find that boring.Check it out though, all on 2 x 360k floppy disks :) but what a manual it had as well as a nice big poster showing all the controls.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle:_the_...r_(Virgin_game) Above link wont work, copy and paste to browser the complete line inc Virgin game and brackets.

I flew the NASA XB-70 to 241,000 ft. ASL and landed it in one peice.Now that was a challange. :-halo

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Guest VAA_008

For the record, and this is no criticism to anybody, the space shuttle and satellites are not in space, they orbit the earth in the second last layer of the atmosphere called the Thermosphere.Space merges with the last layer called the Exosphere and the space shuttle does not go beyond the Thermosphere (approx. 100 Km above sea level), or not that I know off.1- Troposphere2- Stratosphere3- Mesosphere4- Thermosphere5- ExosphereThat's it for today kids and enjoy flying the shuttle anyways !

>For the record, and this is no criticism to anybody, the>space shuttle and satellites are not in space, they orbit the>earth in the second last layer of the atmosphere called the>Thermosphere.>Space merges with the last layer called the Exosphere and the>space shuttle does not go beyond the Thermosphere (approx. 100>Km above sea level), or not that I know off.>>1- Troposphere>2- Stratosphere>3- Mesosphere>4- Thermosphere>5- Exosphere>>That's it for today kids and enjoy flying the shuttle anyways>!I don't think I agree with you here! The International Space Station has a perigee (Closest point to the Earth in Orbit) of 352.8km (190.5nm). Since the shuttle docks with it, it would have to go at least that high!! The lower boundary of the exosphere actually begins at 500km to 1000km and an upper boundary of 10000km. Space though as you say is said to begin at 100km. Or is what's known as the K

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Actually he IS correct. The ISS orbits in the Thermosphere as does the Space Shuttle. However, there are artificial sattelites that orbit in the Thermosphere, Exosphere and in "space" (as many comm sattelites orbit in geosyncronous orbit perigees of 25,000nm or 46300km from earth)

Guest Toni Rauch

"The ISS orbits in the Thermosphere as does the Space Shuttle. However, there are artificial sattelites that orbit in the Thermosphere, Exosphere and in "space" (as many comm sattelites orbit in geosyncronous orbit perigees of 25,000nm or 46300km from earth)"Sounds fascinating Mike!Please translate into English......... ;-)Toni.