Sign in to follow this  
petz_e

Class Bravo clearance in a VFR flight

Hi,

I'm reading through the VFR script that is pinned here in the forum.

However, I still have problems with arrivals in a class bravo airport, as for example KBOS. In the script it says you should file a vfr flightplan, which I do. Then I want to contact Approach to get my bravo clearance with the following call:

"Approach, [CallSign] is 30 miles [Bearing] at 5500 feet request permission to enter KBOS bravo airspace"

I still do not get what I should say as my 'bearing'. I tried South West, SW and so on. Nothing gets accepted. So I guess it's the bearing that does not get recognised. I'm using SayIt+, so it's not that the speech-to-text doesn't understand what I'm saying.

• Like 1

I just use N,S,E,W and have not had a problem.   In your example I would say:

Approach,  November Seven Whiskey Alpha, 30 miles South at five thousand five hundred.  Request permission to enter bravo airspace.

Since I am talking to Boston Approach,  I don't specify "KBOS Airspace" because I have found you'd have to spell it out to them:   Kilo Bravo Oscar Sierra

I'm far too lazy to do that so I leave it off.   This might be the source of your problem.

Good luck

Aficionado of MSFS, X-Plane12, Aces High, Wings Over Flanders Fields

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

41 minutes ago, snomhf said:

I just use N,S,E,W and have not had a problem.   In your example I would say:

Approach,  November Seven Whiskey Alpha, 30 miles South at five thousand five hundred.  Request permission to enter bravo airspace.

Since I am talking to Boston Approach,  I don't specify "KBOS Airspace" because I have found you'd have to spell it out to them:   Kilo Bravo Oscar Sierra

I'm far too lazy to do that so I leave it off.   This might be the source of your problem.

Good luck

Ok, thanks. I will try that out next time. And does approach issue vectors inside the bravo, or do they simply send you off to a left downwind approach, like they usually do?

This request just grants you permission to enter the airspace.  Getting vectors from the controller depends on whether you have flight following.  If you a flying under a vfr flight plan then you automatically have FF otherwise only if you requested it.   It could be you are wanting to just fly through the airspace to get somewhere else.  I made a video that illustrates this if you are interested:

https://youtu.be/Fn2oslDoRyw

• Like 1

Aficionado of MSFS, X-Plane12, Aces High, Wings Over Flanders Fields

i7-9700k@5.0GHz, Nvidia RTX 4070ti(12GB), Z390 AORUS MB, 64GB DDR4, 2TB SSD(560MB/s), Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, CH Pro Pedals, TrackIR5

On 5/19/2021 at 6:23 PM, snomhf said:

This request just grants you permission to enter the airspace.  Getting vectors from the controller depends on whether you have flight following.  If you a flying under a vfr flight plan then you automatically have FF otherwise only if you requested it.   It could be you are wanting to just fly through the airspace to get somewhere else.  I made a video that illustrates this if you are interested:

https://youtu.be/Fn2oslDoRyw

Thank you Mark. I'm already a subscriber to your channel but I didn't realise it was actually you who was replying. You have some great and informative videos. Congratulations.

• Like 1