Sign in to follow this  
MD83

Vista? Don't Want It, Don't Need It, Don't Care!

Guest FALC

>After reading this I think I'll wait a good long while until>other people have dealt with Vista before buying it. (If>ever.)>>This is deranged.>http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt"Wait a good long while" ? You betcha ! How about 10 years ?If anyone ever reads this, (and most wont, theyll blindly run out andbuy Vista because it supposedly the latest and greatest) they wouldnteven consider Beta Testing Vista (which is exactally what they'll be doing). I remember when XP was first released, what a piece of crud that was. I know of many people having to uninstall XP and reinstallmany of their programs because XP totally screwed them up. Finallyafter the usual multitude of "patches" XP became a useable OS.I didnt buy XP until MS finally stopped supporting 98. Ill wait untilMS doesnt support XP any more. Even then I have my doubts, unlessa plethura of changes are forth comming. Im not a gamer, the onlygame Ive got is FSX and even that is teetering on the brink ofhitting the bit bucket. I keep trying to convince myself to hangon until this so called patch comes out and if any 3rd party aircraftand panels are released that will change FSX from a game to a semidescent low end simulator. As someone else pointed out, why would I want to watch TV on a 21" computer monitor when I can walk intothe next room and watch it on a 53" big screen? Computer runningmy entertainment systems, maybe my house? I guess Im from the oldschool. I believe sometimes you just have to get up of your azzuse your brain and do things for your self. Cell phone on theinternet, gimme a break.So do I need Vista ? Not on your life. Will I have Vista ? Ditto(probably). I'll wait for Windows Kazamungia. Due to be releasedin 2015.

Noone needs Vista. Noone needs FSX as well. If people are content with older versions, then so be it. Bottom line: Technology progresses and we can all complain about it and discuss the pros and contras of Vista ad nauseum, but it will become the standard OS that the majority of people around the globe are going to use within the next 2-5 years.Historically, every new release of Windows (in fact of any OS) runs "slower" than the previous version but that is due to the increasing complexity of the OS. I don't recall that Windows 3.1 (for example) had a built-in browser, media center, DX9, picture browser, memory manager, USB support, CD/DVD writing support, smartphones, plug-and-play, email client, AGP/PCIe support, Firewire, indexing service or web server, memory cards, just to name a few standard that are expected out of a modern operating system. Just the amount of drivers that are needed to support all this out-of-the-box is more than mindbloggling.Personally, I need Vista professionally and like to stay on top of things. The second WinXP got installed, my Win2k got sockdrawered. The same will happen with WinXP when Vista hits the streets.Pat

Guest FxF3

Like most I will go kicking and screaming into the Vista age. It seems like XP only came out yesterday.:-( As soon as you get use to one OS they bring another one out.

Guest Traffic

Well said.I will say it again with you; NO ONE NEEDS Vista. But everyone will eventually want it.Not because you love Bill or MSFT or necessarily Vista itself. You will because software designed for Vista will start populating the shelves and the internet and they will be faster, more effective and more fun than what you currently use.Support for XP will be slowly withdrawn. Patches become slower in coming out and less effective, and then one day you read online somewhere that support for XP will be done in two weeks.Then you find yourself rushing out to buy Vista only there is a lot to learn on the new OS. You start asking questions that have been asked and answered a billion times. Everyone around you it seems is a Vista expert.No, Nobody NEEDS Vista. But you see my point when I say you will eventually have it, be it next month, next year or whenever. So why not start now/soon prepping yourself and your software for it? Trust me when I say this; Vista is not as bad as what some people make it out to be and, not unlike all previous OSes, it will continue to improve with time.

Guest kdundon

No one needs FSX or FS9 either but they bought it when it was available. I have had Vista Ultimate on my computer now since it was released to MSDN customers and would not go back to XP now. I had the betas and yes there were issues with drivers. So far there are only a couple of programs I use for Flight Simming that I don't have on because they don't work in Vista. The developers are waiting for Vista to remedy that. I could care less if you think it is slower and just a beta test for MS. I know what it does and when the developers get the 64bit programs working for Flight Sim I am updating to Vista 64bit. On my system (AMD Dual Core 4200, EVGA 7900GS w/256, 4g ram) it is fast and very very stable. It is quite different from the Betas and Release candidates. I am guessing you are basing your comments on them and not the final product. Stay with XP if you want. No one is going to force you to upgrade. But all your negatives towards Vista I personally do not see on my system. Ken

>if you want. No one is going to force you to upgrade. But all>your negatives towards Vista I personally do not see on my>system. Ken"AMD Dual Core 4200, EVGA 7900GS w/256, 4g ram"Your PC is well above average, and will therefore run Vista smoothly. Try an average PC with Vista and you'll change your mind ;)

Guest kdundon

"Try an average PC with Vista and you'll change your mind"Why, I upgraded the computer in September for FSX and Vista. I was looking ahead and don't plan on looking back. My only comment is that I am not seeing a degradation in performance but just the opposite. That was what I was saying. I was typing from actual experience with XP and Vista. Ken

Like some others said, I being a FS junkie will only go to Vista when I have to, and that is when the DX10 update for FSX is out + 6 months.The only way I would go Vista sooner than that, would be if people say "DX10+FSX = awesome!". Otherwise I will let the bugs in the DX10 update get worked out first...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

After reading all of the posts, I think I will stay with my good old trusty Win3.1 and FS3, although I am thinking of installing FS4 that I've had for a while now, along with that wonderful new AdLib sound card. The only complaint I have is that my 5.25 floppy is about to bite the dust and I may have to upgrade to the flashy new 3.5 floppy, which I am sure is not going to be as reliable. Thank God for my huge 30 Megabyte RLL HD, where I can store all my important FS files!I sure miss my Commodore64, and wish Sublogic would have never sold out to MS!Pete S. ;-)

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

It's actually FUNNY when someone says....."Use a regular PC and you'll see that it doen't work well" (paraphrase).If I have the money and the inclination to upgrade my PC and enjoy the benefits of FSX and VISTA...why would I listen to such an illogical idea?FSX is running super smooth on my system (yes, it's expensive; so what?). I now look forward to VISTA and DX 10. And if I have to buy a new Video card for DX10, then I will.Sorry for the attitude, but if you can't play in the game (simulation in this case) then play something else.

>After reading all of the posts, I think I will stay with my>good old trusty Win3.1 and FS3, although I am thinking of>installing FS4 that I've had for a while now, along with that>wonderful new AdLib sound card. The only complaint I have is>that my 5.25 floppy is about to bite the dust and I may have>to upgrade to the flashy new 3.5 floppy, which I am sure is>not going to be as reliable. Thank God for my huge 30 Megabyte>RLL HD, where I can store all my important FS files!>>I sure miss my Commodore64, and wish Sublogic would have never>sold out to MS!LOLThis may sound sad, but one of my recent comp builds was a deliberate retro build, an old P200, 16mb ram, found suitable old bits on Ebay including the first Voodoo1 card i used to own, installed DOS6 and dual booted it to Win95, all shared with a KVM switch with another comp to use its LCD monitor. It was amazing how quickly all those DOS commands came flooding back, with no GUI, you had to type everything in to get things to work in those days, of course I soon learned how to make batch files :)Works fine and is a good reminder of how far we have come.Going to try some of those early sims again soon for nostalgia purposes, even have my old Thrustmaster gameport controllers to try once more.One of these days I'll grab a suitable Amiga 500 from Ebay as well, this was my first comp of any kind and the first time I played the FS series with FS2.

Guest Kev_Is_Soaked

Why would you dual boot a Dos/Win95 machine when there is no need for it? Win95 ran on top of Dos, therefore you could easily install just Win95 and just have it not autostart the GUI. You get the best of both, just type: WIN to start Windows at anytime.....

I don't have any plans to get it. Heck, the XP SP2I'm using now hasn't been on here that long. I ran 98se until it got to the point the new hardware had it soconfused it was useless. I haven't even broke in XPyet... Not to mention I'm cheap, and would never upgradeto a new OS unless there was some super duper reason I just *had* to. IE: switching would give me 20 extra fpson the sim with no hardware upgrades.. Right....Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath. Even if I totally upgrade my box, I may not rushout to switch. I normally run OS's for a very long time.Well, as long as they are half decent anyway...XP sp2 is fairly decent as far as overall stability, etc, and I'm in no rush to change it out. I always build myown boxes, so the chances of getting a cut rate vistaversion with a new system are almost nil for me..If I want it, I'll have to cough up the $$$..MK