Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwantmydc3

Wiping my HD, will i have problems with FSX reinstall?

Guest Redvan

I'm wiping my HD, will i have a problem with installing FSX again? With the registration and all...

Guest iwantmydc3

>I'm wiping my HD, will i have a problem with installing FSX>again? With the registration and all...If you have activated it twice within the past 180 days, yes, it will want you to call Microsoft to activate. (MS "Activations" usually reset after 180 days).Remember "registering" and "activating" are different. You DONT have to "register" (give your name address, etc) but you DO have to "activate."

Make sure you uninstall it from the "Add/Remove programs" first. This should prevent that annoying call to MS to activate later on.

Guest Redvan

i should uninstall before wiping my HD? That seems almost redundant...

Guest dpc

I just loaded a new drive and changed my cpu. No issue re-registering.

Guest Speed

I have had to call MS a couple of times now to reset the activation count (with XP as well as FSX)....its really no big deal.

Guest Buck Bolduc

I just built an AMD Quad system, reinstalled FSX.Had no problems activating on-line.I did notice after installing, the sliders were way over to the right side.FSX's site claims the install does an inventory of your machine and works out the best place for the sliders, at least to start out.

It may seem redundant but uninstalling should also remove registry entries which formatting your HD will not do. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled 4 times since I purchased FSX on its release with no problems. Craig

It may seem redundant but uninstalling should also remove registry entries which formatting your HD will not do.Huh? If the game is on the same hard drive as the OS, formatting not only removes the game but the registry information as well.Even if the game is on a secondary hard drive, the registry information is wiped during the format.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest iwantmydc3

Well to be sure, when I reformat, I always wipe the partition also-I think Microsofts format.com does a "quick format" unless you use the switch for a full one, I don't remember. Anyway when I redo my disk, I erase the primary partition, then create a new one, then format it for NTFS (I use Partition Magic, easier than FDISK). Once the disk is "blank" I reinstall XP Pro and go from there. (I keep telling myself I'm going to make an image to restore but never got around to it).