Sign in to follow this  
Guest erbj

AI aircraft - black textures?

Hi all,I have tried in vain searching for this before posting but haven't found any solid answers so here's hoping ....Ai Aircraft when viewed from a distance (and not a very far distance either, even in the same airport field of view) appear black. I did find a post on the FS Developers forum in which a beta tester reported this problem (it's to do with the LOD as far as I recall) The final version of FSX exhibits this too and I'm suprised their isn't much discussion about it?!It affects all Ai - from FS9 imported and the uptodate World of AI , please help!Many thanksdaelightP.s. - > please keep this post flame free, I know people are having various issues with thier FSX but after going through all the tweaks @ http://www.fox-fam.com/wordpress/?page_id=41 (granted you need alot of patients) I have no problems what so ever - this is the only show stopper for me at least ....

HiFSX requires that all parts of an aircraft be textured. If not then they display as black. Up until FS9 we could create aircraft and for the last LOD use GMax colours (such as grey) for the fuselage. In FS9 they would display as grey, but not in FSX. The same is true for any part which was not textured via a .bmp file - shows as black in FSX.The only way that can be corrected is for each author involved to go back to their FS9 aircraft and re-texture the aircraft for the parts or LODs involved. There may not be many takers.Hope this helps you understand why the black displays.CheersMike

Guest erbj

Hi there,I think there might be an easier way around this problem. When I disable shaders by adding these two lines under my card in "display.cfg"--------------------Shader20Plus=0UseShaders=0-------------------------all AI aircaft turn white instead of black when viewed from a distance. However, completely disabling shaders has negative effects too, like removing the blending between grass runways and the terrain around them.Using an intermediate setting like--------------------Shader20Plus=13UseShaders=1--------------------results in black AI In the subfolders under the"ShadersHLSL" folder there are several files containing the word "fallback" in it

This exact topic was brought up about a month ago, and at the time, I said I thought it was related to LOD's not having a texture in the AI aircraft model.Someone else said it was inherent to the FSX display engine.It would seem that both are correct. As was said, it appears that FSX will display black if no texture is present.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest erbj

Rhett wrote above "I said I thought it was related to LOD's not having a texture in the AI aircraft model." and "As was said, it appears that FSX will display black if no texture is present."Quite correct Rhett but what I found was, that with shaders off, FSX displays the untextured AI aircraft in the distance as white instead of black. Running with shaders off is not an affordable compromise as there are too many negative effects, especially if you use default AC. However, this has given me an idea that there might be a possibility to make corrections in the shader coding to get white AI instead of black while still using shaders. So my hope still is that someone who knows what he