Sign in to follow this  
Lord Farringdon

Can I install FSX in a partitioned hardrive

I do apologise if this question has been asked before but I haven't been able to find any posts which address my specific problem. I upgraded from FS9 and duly installed FSX on my C: drive. Activation went well but I became a litte concerned at how "space hungry" FSX was on my drive which is 160 GB and partitioned as 80 GB on C: and 80GB on D:.(setup this way by my erstwhile computer guy who said this was a good thing to do?). The D: partition has very little on it while the C: partition has the operating system and everything under the sun. I cursed myself for not selecting the D: partition during FSX installation and so decided to un-install and re-install. During the re-install I realised that there is in fact no option to select another drive or partion to load FSX on so FSX is now back on my C: partition (unactivated).:( I have read a number of contradictory posts in this and other forums regarding the number of activations Microsoft allows (or not)on FSX, so rather than put it to the test and be left with a dead piece of software I thought I'd ask the experts before I go uninstalling, re-installing or activating again. So, my core question is: Is there any way to install FSX as a single installation on the D: partition of my drive rather than on the C: partition? RegardsTerry"Why is it always eight/eighths when I want to go simming?"

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

Yes, you can install FSX on any drive/partition you want. It has been a while since I installed it (to E:FSX) and I can't remember exactly, but at one point during the installation there is an option to change the destination folder.Fred

Hi.I have installed it on my D drive as well, while running OS, page file, and FS9 on my C drive. Must say it works much better, even if my D drive is FAT32 (system init file also here).To do it, just stop at the first page of the installation, FSX will ask you for a direct install or more options - select more options, then click on top on selected drive, click on brose, and type D in the adress line (hope you will get my english)FSX will install on D, but the fsx.cfg file will still remain on C drive (C>Document and setting>user name>application data>microsoft>fsx).Kind regardsPatrick JorandGeneva Switzerland

When the install starts you have to select "custom" to get the option to move the install point to the location of your choice.scott s..

Thanks guys for the prompt responses. I have now succesfully loaded FSX on to my partitioned drive and it now has room to breathe! Your assistance much appreciated:)Terry

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.