Sign in to follow this  
Gulfstream

Boeing is launching a realistic consumer flight sim cockpit

This could be interesting.

We are excited and proud of our new global collaboration with Boeing. Our Research and Development Team have been working on a flight cockpit in the background for some years and now combined with Boeing’s incredible experience in this space, we look forward to introducing exciting new products for the flight sim market.

https://www.adaptnetwork.com/gaming/boeing-next-level-racing-flight-sim-cockpit/

• Like 2

Came here to make a Boeing quality control joke.. I see that's already been taken care off. I have nothing left to offer

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Well, not Boeing themselves are "launching", from what I see. It's the usual licensing stuff. Boeing marketing has licensed quite a lot mediocre flight sim products in the past. The very first 787 addon for X-Plane was officially licensed by Boeing, too. And it was not good.

• Like 2

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

32 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

It's the usual licensing stuff.

There is a HUGE misconception among flight simmers what licensing by an aircraft manufacturer means.

It usually just means the authorization to use the company name, logo and real aircraft name - nothing else.

If you want to call your product "Boeing 787" you need Boeing licensing. If you want to call it "XYZ development group 787"...you don´t.

There is no "quality control", there is no "10.000 hours of checkflights by Boeing engineers and testpilots", there is no "endorsement of study-level system fidelity and aerodynamic properties". 🙄

Boeing or Airbus could not care less if a simmer is disappointed by a product that carries a licensing endorsement. The simmer is not likely to be in a position to ever make a real purchasing decision on a real airliner, so his opinion on Boeing or Airbus is inconsequential.

Edited by Janov
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Janov said:

There is a HUGE misconception among flight simmers what licensing by an aircraft manufacturer means.

It usually just means the authorization to use the company name, logo and real aircraft name - nothing else.

If you want to call your product "Boeing 787" you need Boeing licensing. If you want to call it "XYZ development group 787"...you don´t.

There is no "quality control", there is no "10.000 hours of checkflights by Boeing engineers and testpilots", there is no "endorsement of study-level system fidelity and aerodynamic properties". 🙄

Boeing or Airbus could not care less if a simmer is disappointed by a product that carries a licensing endorsement. The simmer is not likely to be in a position to ever make a real purchasing decision on a real airliner, so his opinion on Boeing or Airbus is inconsequential.

This is what I tried to say 😉

Edit: although I think the possible negative impact of a bad simulation's impact on a layperson's opinion on the real plane (as passenger and airline user) and the fear of possible mis-use of a sim aircraft for doing crazy or bad things (e.g. YouTube videos of simulated/played plane crashes) may at least be taken into consideration by some aircraft companies before selling the license to use their name. What was the bizjet company which refuses to license anything, was it Gulfstream?

Edited by MarioDonick
  • Like 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

1 hour ago, MarioDonick said:

This is what I tried to say 😉

Edit: although I think the possible negative impact of a bad simulation's impact on a layperson's opinion on the real plane (as passenger and airline user) and the fear of possible mis-use of a sim aircraft for doing crazy or bad things (e.g. YouTube videos of simulated/played plane crashes) may at least be taken into consideration by some aircraft companies before selling the license to use their name. What was the bizjet company which refuses to license anything, was it Gulfstream?

Yea, its more marketing and image control than quality control. I remember back in the days, some car manufaturers not wanting to appear in video games where the devellopers had a damage or crash simulation. 

7 hours ago, Chock said:

In a nod to ultra-realism where art will imitate life, a couple of them will fall through the floor of their user's basement in an uncontrolled pitch down, forcing Boeing to stop selling them for a year before they finally get around to creating a patch for it. Meanwhile, sales of that Airbus throttle and stick will continue.

Design and build will be outsourced to an offshore consortium of 75 international contractors and anyone caught trying to organise improved pay and conditions for their fellow workers will be sacked immediately. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Most of the bugs have now been ironed out of the latest version of Microsoft Flight Simulator...”

😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alternatively, you can write Boeing on the back of your computer chair, in biro or felt-tipped pen, and you're pretty much in the same ballpark as this thing will be.

Next up, exciting news about the forthcoming officially authorised Lockheed-Martin Teaspoon. 🤣

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

1 hour ago, Chock said:

you're pretty much in the same ballpark as this thing will be.

Yeah. Even just the teaser pic they released makes that clear. There's clearly no overhead console, and it's not very wide either. So there's no way they're replicating anything Boeing actually makes unless it's an F-18. 

Watch it turn out to be a chair with a built in VR headset, hydraulic actuators, and a cup holder.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just now, WestAir said:

Watch it turn out to be a chair with a built in VR headset, hydraulic actuators, and a cup holder.

Yup, it's another overpriced and oversized chair with a Boeing sticker on it. I'm sure it's very nice if you have the room and the spare cash, but if I was ever going to have anything of that nature, I'd build a moving platform working off transducers.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

To be fair the 787 cup holders are quite good, but the same can’t be said for the ridiculous sun shades.

A 300 million Dollar jet and I end up having to buy myself a set electrostatic slap on shades for 8 Quid off Amazon 

• Like 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.