Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Solo - Any advice?

I've been grinding forward with my effort towards Sport Pilot, and my CFI says I will be soloing soon. Part of me wants to cry out "no way", but I suppose I am doing what I have to do now to get the job done and get the aircraft from the ground, to the sky, and back to the ground again.Does anyone have any suggestions regarding my solo? What are the traps we tend to miss when our CFI isn't with us to coach us along? My CFI strikes me as the kind of person who will just hop out in a week or two and say "your ready". The past six weeks have been a blur. I guess everyone has to go through a mid-life crisis, but mine has to be learning to fly? :)Thanks for any input...-John

Guest DreamFleet

Never heard back from that e-mail I sent you in response to your e-mail to me. ;-)BTW, not just your instructor, many instructors will do it that way. Yes, some will tell you in advance, but others will just do it at the end of a regular lesson.One of the things you need to do is fly when you are not flying. Go over things in your mind, imagine a flight from takeoff to landing. Review the procedures. I do this all the time, even after 30 years. It's a simple aircraft, you won't have to worry about forgetting the gear, or applying full RPM. Just go over the procedures, speeds, etc. in your mind.I think your only fear is probably landing, as takeoff and flying the pattern (that's all a solo usually is) you should have mastered by now.I was flying last week, and faced a 70

Thanks Lou...I asked my CFI when the time comes, to take me to an out of the way airport with no tower and no traffic (and preferably, no audience) :)-John

John,I agree with others that you will never forget this day. Try to stay calm - I tried but my legs were still shaking when my instructor, after we landed, abruptly exited the aircraft and asked me to do two to&goes alone. My legs were shaking so badly that you could hear them tap on the rudder pedals. But ultimately I did what was expected of me and got tremendous confidence boost. The day was July 28, 1981. Best of luck.Michael J.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/pmdg_744F.jpghttp://sales.hifisim.com/pub-download/asv6-banner-beta.jpg

Keep an eye out for other aircraft. When I did mine, all of a sudden there was a DC9 on final about 15 miles from the airport going perpendicular to me and several miles away. That was neat. good luck and report back.JimCYWG

John,If you're flying with ATC now, stick with it. Trust me on this one. It's 10X easier. I don't like to say that they'll be flying the plane for you, but being able to talk to them and follow their instructions will free your mind up to actually fly the plane and most of that 'tunnel vision' might go away.Just use the checlist and fly the numbers.Once you lift off the ground for the first time you'll have so much fun, and most of those fears will go right away, believe me.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

>If you're flying with ATC now, stick with it. Trust me on>this one. It's 10X easier. I don't like to say that they'll>be flying the plane for you, but being able to talk to them>and follow their instructions will free your mind up to>actually fly the plane and most of that 'tunnel vision' might>go away.>I began at a Class B airport, soloed while taking lessons at an un-controlled field, and completed the license back at the Class B, due to the school going under.Personally, I prefered soloing at the un-controlled, but glad I kept up with ATC at the Class B, as I prefer keeping in touch with ATC, instead of being somewhat afraid of talking to them, as many are.As to the solo, I just envisioned the instructor sitting in the right seat, and doing "nothing", as he had done for so many previous hours. :D P.S.---- don't skip the checklist proceedure of pushing the mixture back in......before attempted starting! That's exactly what I did...

One thought... The aircraft will feel lighter without the added weight of your instructor. I elected to go around my first solo landing...the aircraft was a little more floaty than I was used to. It was probably unnecessary

Guest DreamFleet

John,Solo from your home airport, not some "out of the way" airport. That's essential, unless you plan never to fly from your current home airport again.Remember, it could be worse, you could be me, at age 15 (1973), soloing out of KTEB in a Cherokee 140, with a tower, a Lear 25 departing ahead of me, jets going into KEWR just above me, my family watching, along with a friend video taping the whole thing on an old Sony black and white video recorder.You're flying a state-of-the-art LSA, with less weight / horse power than typical training aircraft (Cessna 172 / Piper Warrior), and it has, with little doubt, better flying characteristics too. You also probably have tons of hours flying in FS. The latter is something I never had when I learned to fly 30 years ago.If you love flying, have confidence, and are truly comfortable with doing it, you will do just fine.And you will. :-)If your instructor has done his job, no more advice is necessary from any of us, and if he allows you to solo from another, "out of the way" airport, find another instructor- no kidding!Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

John, just as the others have stated...this is one thing you will never forget and the feeling of accomplishment is something hard to describe:-)Relax, you've been doing this quite well or your instructer would not consider letting you solo.He will likely climb out, ask you for three takoffs and three full stop landings if the runways are short, then meet him at the FBO.First time around my knees actually knocked together until the turn to base. Second was more relaxed. Third time was pure pleasure.After that, you are well on your way to getting that "license to learn" that we all enjoy:-)Just do what you already know how to do:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

What I remember most was that I had intense excitement mixed with intense fear. I just talked myself through the pattern and by the second circuit I was fine (make sure the mike is off if you are talking to yourself out loud like I was).The second thing I remember has already been mentioned - the plane was much lighter and tended to float at the point where I would normally flair.The third thing I learned from a later bungled landing - do what a previous writer said - if you are uncomfortable with your set up in any way, go around.The most important thing of course is to wear a shirt you don't mind losing the back half of.Cheers!PD

Oh yes, put my shirt tail in a frame....a reminder of a very important day... :-lol

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Peter Sidoli

JohnRemember whatever! you are guaranteed to return to terra firma in one fashion or other so dont worry that you might get stuck up there :-)Once the wheels leave the ground you think " what the heck its me and the plane" and you will get on with it.The only thing I can remember is going downwind doing my downwind checks.When it came to harnesses I can remember looking at the co-pilot side and seeing an empty seat and coiled harness.Strangely by 200 feet on final I had already mentally landed and was rejoicing at having done my first solo :-)Have funPeter