Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

ADVICE PLEASE

6 minutes ago, micstatic said:

I’ve learned over the years how to almost entirely eliminate them. Frame rate locking is a huge way to do it. Plenty of resources here to help you do the same 

In my case they are rare and I am quite happy with the performance I get. 30Hz is not an option for me.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

5 hours ago, GCBraun said:

Limiting yourself to a 30Hz/60Hz panel is not something I would recommend in 2021.

Sadly we can't all afford or aquire a 3090 so have to make compromises. I find VSync enabled and my UHD monitor set to 30Hz provides a near stutter-free experience. If the fps drops below 30 I have FSUIPC configured to delete Ai aircraft closest to me to raise the bar up to 30.

I'm guessing with MSFS you have a low number of Ai but in P3D with the AIG package they add a lot to the realism but need careful control.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Sadly we can't all afford or aquire a 3090 so have to make compromises. I find VSync enabled and my UHD monitor set to 30Hz provides a near stutter-free experience. If the fps drops below 30 I have FSUIPC configured to delete Ai aircraft closest to me to raise the bar up to 30.

I'm guessing with MSFS you have a low number of Ai but in P3D with the AIG package they add a lot to the realism but need careful control.

Not saying everyone should buy a 3090, but using a 30Hz panel for anything else besides Flight Sim is a real pain. I could set my monitor to 30Hz as well but, as mentioned, I get 60fps easily on MSFS and I believe when DX12 is integrated (and Vulcan on DCS, btw), things will improve a lot even for those with lower-powered GPUs.

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

4 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

Not saying everyone should buy a 3090, but using a 30Hz panel for anything else besides Flight Sim is a real pain.

Up to a couple of years ago I was in your camp of wanting fps as high as possible. Why stick to 30 when you can have 50 or more? Illogical eh? 😉

But the problem with 50fps when taxiing is there were lots of stutters and that destroys the realism. So going against my instincts I decided to give 30fps a go. The greatly increased smoothness convinced me that was the better option for me.

Clearly it’s a very personal thing and some like yourself find 30 unattractive. That’s fine. We’re all different. 👍

Regarding the 3090 it does appear overkill for P3D. To go from 12Gb to 24Gb with nothing in between seems daft from Nvidia. Something around 16Gb would appeal and presumably would be cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The performance improvement from my old 1080ti to 3090 was real, but not huge.  It’s most noticeable at huge airports at night with lots of dynamic lights. I was also able to go to 4ssaa full time. It’s also nice to not be watching the vram anymore. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

G-Sync/unlimited is the way to go in V5, especially for those who play other games where 4k/30hz TV's aren't really practical. There are plenty of airports where I can hit above 30 FPS, so it's nice to actually take advantage of your GPU/DX12 and be at 40 or 50 FPS in a critical phase of flight like approach and landing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chapstick said:

G-Sync/unlimited is the way to go in V5, especially for those who play other games where 4k/30hz TV's aren't really practical. There are plenty of airports where I can hit above 30 FPS, so it's nice to actually take advantage of your GPU/DX12 and be at 40 or 50 FPS in a critical phase of flight like approach and landing.

How do I enable gsync on my Samsung odyssey g5?it’s compatible but no option in ncp. Any ideas?

thanks 

mike

@mikeymike on most monitors I believe you first have to go into the monitor menu and turn on gsync.  Then it will appear in NCP

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Just now, micstatic said:

@mikeymike on most monitors I believe you first have to go into the monitor menu and turn on gsync.  Then it will appear in NCP

I did have a look and only option I’ve noticed is freesync.

Doni turn that on?

mike

8 hours ago, GCBraun said:

using a 30Hz panel for anything else besides Flight Sim is a real pain

Yes it is, however I use a little program named "Display Changer" to automatically start a program at the required display resolution and refresh rate.

And when the program is closed the display automatically reverts back to the prior resolution and refresh rate.

e.g. for P3D I run a DSR screen mode at 30Hz and when I close P3D the screen mode auto reverts back to 1080 @ 60 Hz

The process is completely transparent, just start P3D and it all happens automatically. I also have a few desktop icons preset with different screen modes and refresh rates to change things on the fly so to speak.

Cheers R

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Just a heads up I had issues with anitaliasing and shimmering  jaggies and had tried everything from 4xssaa etc and shimmering was quite bad.

i then updated to the latest win update may 2021 .

and now is much much better.

cheers

mike

• Like 1