Sign in to follow this  
jchpa32

$25 to change the registration numbers on a livery

For some reason, most developers and repainters do not use the proper size US registration on their paints. It has driven me to distraction for years, as it detracts from the realism for me. I search and search, but can never seem to find a repaint for my various airplanes with a good scheme AND properly sized reg.

So I am willing to pay a painter $25 if they will fix the registration on an existing scheme for me. That is all I want, the registration to be the right size. If you will contact me, we can discuss which airplane and what reg. I would like, and of course payment details. 

Thank you.

JCH

Cai, I went there and they seem to only do a couple aircraft.

JCH

16 hours ago, jchpa32 said:

For some reason, most developers and repainters do not use the proper size US registration on their paints. It has driven me to distraction for years, as it detracts from the realism for me. I search and search, but can never seem to find a repaint for my various airplanes with a good scheme AND properly sized reg.

So I am willing to pay a painter $25 if they will fix the registration on an existing scheme for me. That is all I want, the registration to be the right size. If you will contact me, we can discuss which airplane and what reg. I would like, and of course payment details. 

Thank you.

JCH

You might provide more about what you are looking for.  Which simulator?  Which aircraft (model/developer)?  

• Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Frank, the one I would like most is the Carenado 172N, as it has the old school panel and scheme. I don't even need a custom reg, I would just like it to have the proper sizing. The orange and gold scheme that comes with the package. Do you have that simulation? Sorry, FSX.

JCH

Edited by jchpa32

This one?  Are the registration numbers too big?

n259dl.jpg

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

No, they are too small. Again, I know it seems nitpicky, but it drives me nuts. Have a look at a number of RW photos and you'll see what I mean. They should be much larger. If it is too hard to make them bigger, could they be covered up and the old, '80's small reg numbers be put on the tail, like a lot of Cessna's had? I could send photos of what I mean. (Can't put images here).

JCH

There is a very good reason why the reg is what it is. The texture mapping on this model does not allow it.

Have painted a few with this model and that was the reason I stopped making them as an "accurate" paint job was almost impossible.

A2A's model was much better, even the Flight1 model allowed you to put a reg in the "correct" position.

Not being a painter, I wouldn't have guessed that-but I have read many complaints about Carenado/Alabeo paint kits being very difficult to use. So how hard would it be to get rid of the existing reg and put the small style reg on the vertical stab? Would that would be easier with the paint kit? (The FAA still allows those small reg numbers if the plane has not been repainted, and I have seen some still around, believe it or not.)

JCH

And again the texture mapping will not allow it. The nose section and tailfin are only one sided meaning any text is mirrored on the "other" side. The only positive is that any striping will be aligned.

As i said in my previous post, the texture mapping is not good (actually pretty dismal) and quite a few repaints I was planning to make just could not be made. The A2A and the Flight1 C172's offer far more possibilities than the Carenado offering. As for Carenado "paintkits" the answer is simple , they don't make them, you have to use the BMP's supplied in the "no livery / white" version normally added as an extra. This also complicates the painting as different techniques have to be used.

Also with this model any text or logos that are placed on the doors or tailfin will be mirrored making those liveries less than accurate.

You haven't mentioned the registration of the C172 you are looking for (or the paintscheme). I did upload some Carenado 172 paints here in the library but haven't touched the "paintkit" since then.

Ok, thank you for the information. I guess I can't have what I can't have.

JCH

You still haven't mentioned which registration / paintscheme you were looking for. I never said it was impossible, just that creating an accurate paint would not be easy. As I wrote earlier I haven't even looked at the Carenado C172N for some time but I could make a livery showing the area that can be used (regarding the size of the registration).

Or look at it in a positive manner and realise that you saved yourself $25 !!

That would be fine! I would like the blue Carenado 172N scheme. If the N number can't be made large enough, is there a way to remove the break in the stripes, and put some 2" reg numbers just forward of the horizontal stabilizer leading edge, in black? I understand they can' be on the tail because of the way Carenado did the texture. (The FAA still allows these leftover registrations from the '80's if the aircraft hasn't been repainted).

JCH

Looking at the Blue livery (N399CK), it does seem that it could be slightly larger. Will get back to you later.

Very good, looking forward to hearing from you!

JCH