Sign in to follow this  
BK

Vertical speed beyond limit (?)

Final Approach
Last 500ft

Not Stable:
☛ Vertical Speed beyond Limit:
 -339.01 fpm ( Limit: -400 fpm)

This is what I get. However, -339 fpm is smaller then -400fpm, then how come the conclusion is "not stable"?

Thank you

4 hours ago, BK said:

Final Approach
Last 500ft

Not Stable:
☛ Vertical Speed beyond Limit:
 -339.01 fpm ( Limit: -400 fpm)

This is what I get. However, -339 fpm is smaller then -400fpm, then how come the conclusion is "not stable"?

Thank you

Please send me your lastapproach file.

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

On 5/24/2021 at 12:05 AM, marcom said:

Hi.

Sent via email.

There is a  window for stable, -400 to -1100 or so, if you wave up and down for the glide path, it's also not stable.

If you fly something slow that require less than -400 vs, you can change the settings in the options.

7 hours ago, C2615 said:

There is a  window for stable, -400 to -1100 or so, if you wave up and down for the glide path, it's also not stable.

If you fly something slow that require less than -400 vs, you can change the settings in the options.

Exactly.

As I had replied to Benny, he had a deviation "towards shallow-ness" of his approach, where he pitched up and the descent rate became too shallow (said ~350 fpm). These ballooning effects can quickly lead to unstable approaches (glidepath deviations) but in this case, he quickly reacted and no other deviations were detected.

As such, I would say albeit an increased risk but it still resulted in a safe approach and landing - so good recovery / piloting! 🙂

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

On 5/24/2021 at 12:05 AM, marcom said:

Hi.

Thank you for the info. We are learning...And this tool helps a lot.

• Like 1

Doesn't look like anyone has been on this thread in years, but I'm new to Flight Monitor (I think it is great BTW).  My problem is that I think the Vertical Speed Limit gets measured all the way to touchdown and triggers a penalty if you get higher than -100fpm just prior to landing?  The graph shows I was higher than -400fpm the entire approach, until just before touchdown and then assigns a penalty for being -382fpm (so I guess I as at -18fpm during roundout and flare)?  This is in a C172 (like I said, I'm a beginner) - not sure if the settings are right for this light A/C or if I'm just not understanding something.  I've been struggling with this penalty for a while, so FWIW, the above experience was on an ILS landing in APR mode.  I didn't even go AP off until after crossing the threshold.  Any idea what I might not be understanding?

On 2/3/2024 at 2:03 AM, SoonerST said:

Doesn't look like anyone has been on this thread in years, but I'm new to Flight Monitor (I think it is great BTW).  My problem is that I think the Vertical Speed Limit gets measured all the way to touchdown and triggers a penalty if you get higher than -100fpm just prior to landing?  The graph shows I was higher than -400fpm the entire approach, until just before touchdown and then assigns a penalty for being -382fpm (so I guess I as at -18fpm during roundout and flare)?  This is in a C172 (like I said, I'm a beginner) - not sure if the settings are right for this light A/C or if I'm just not understanding something.  I've been struggling with this penalty for a while, so FWIW, the above experience was on an ILS landing in APR mode.  I didn't even go AP off until after crossing the threshold.  Any idea what I might not be understanding?

Hi,

aviaFlightMonitor is parameterized and optimized for transport category aicraft. Flying smaller GA type aircraft will of course yield in "penalties" since you fly a completely different profile.

If you want to use aviaFlightMonitor for smaller aircraft, you do in fact have the option to set different limits through the settings dialog.

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png