Sign in to follow this  
samisahusky

VoxATC and AI traffic

Super new VoxATC user (as in departing on 1st flight with it). I have a ton of AI aircraft installed from AIG AIM, but it looks like VoxATC imports it’s own AI. Can I turn the AI from VOXATC off leaving only the AIG AIM traffic, and will VoxATC still communicate with AIG AIM traffic?

Steven Destazio (DVA12924)

"There's not reason to be alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of the fight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" - Elaine Dickinson

We all started learning a product/feature at some point in our tenure within the flight sim community. Please understand that and understand that people come here to learn how to solve problems, not be harassed because you feel you are better than everyone else. We are all equal. Show respect and you'll get respect. Please don't guess at a solution unless trial/error and remember we are here to help each other and learn/teach from each other. Check your ego at the door. We should be interacting as if we will be sitting next to each other on the flight deck, not grade school bullies.

38 minutes ago, samisahusky said:

it looks like VoxATC imports it’s own AI

Steven

VoxATC has no traffic data of its own. It reads your AIG plans (during indexing) to compile data for traffic spawning essentially of the same schedule / liveries included in those AIG (*.bgl) plans.

Vox's unique traffic engine then controls & communicates with that traffic alongside one's own aircraft.

Vox cannot communicate with or control traffic spawned by the sim's traffic engine (which one sets at zero for Vox traffic).

I can only recommend you "try" Vox's traffic spawn to compare (view on LNM for example to see parking / enroute features).

for now, cheers

john martin

I will give that a shot.

To clarify, I set traffic density in the sim to 0% and set traffic density in VoxATC to 75% (I have AIG running at 75% in sim and it’s been an ideal target so I’d like to keep that target. VoxATC will then read the traffic files and create its own to which communication would be possible. Correct? I did read in this forum that VoxATC will fill spots with static aircraft, but would the traffic files supersede that or does that have to be adjusted in a setting somewhere? Running at 75% traffic usually leaves me an open spot at destination while still having quiet a bit of traffic. But if static aircraft are left at the gates then that wouldn’t work. Thanks for the assistance!

"There's not reason to be alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of the fight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?" - Elaine Dickinson

We all started learning a product/feature at some point in our tenure within the flight sim community. Please understand that and understand that people come here to learn how to solve problems, not be harassed because you feel you are better than everyone else. We are all equal. Show respect and you'll get respect. Please don't guess at a solution unless trial/error and remember we are here to help each other and learn/teach from each other. Check your ego at the door. We should be interacting as if we will be sitting next to each other on the flight deck, not grade school bullies.

Steven

A few questions to answer as best I can "briefly"..... & about the current version.

• Vox will only spawn traffic per the atc_parking_codes in the afcad ..... but sometimes, if your AI inventory includes an arriving aircraft without a coded spot, it will park that aircraft at an empty coded spot.
  • Vox has a file VASettings.xml in AppData where you can set the maximum departing parked aircraft. There is then an option in AdvancedSettings to either force that maximum or allow Vox to spawn according to the schedules of the AIG bgl's in your case..... what I call a universal setting. These settings are fixed for the scenario. You can if you wish use the slider in Settings as an alternative to adjust the spawned, but only if you are not forcing the maximum.
  • You can reserve an afcad spot for your aircraft by assigning it a unique atc_parking_code (VOXP is what I use) if you also include that parking code in your aircraft.
  • When comparing your sim's engine, remember that default AIG plans are set to show all possible at 1% (per an activity level setting) hence what you see at 75% is all possible. (please read more informed notes on this at AIG)

for now, cheers

john martin

I’m slightly confused from that lol. But as a very new user, I’d expect to be confused. I guess the general info I need to know and I can play around with the rest is: what and where do I set traffic sliders to so that flight plans from AIG are seen and converted/read by VoxATC for AI spawning and communication. There’s the in-sim slider and there’s another slider in VoxATC settings so which one needs to be where to mimic the traffic I was seeing prior to using VATC? Thanks for explaining, and sorry for the confusion. Also, what is LNM you referred to in your first reply?

Edited by samisahusky

Steven

•  
50 minutes ago, samisahusky said:

so that flight plans from AIG are seen and converted/read by VoxATC for AI spawning and communication.

Your AIG plans & liveries are read by the Indexer, along with your airac & scenery etc. So, a new / revised plan requires a reindex(er).

•  
53 minutes ago, samisahusky said:

where do I set traffic sliders

With 100% slider in Settings, then try MaxParkedAircraft=150 a KSFO (more for KATL, less for KSAN) in VASettings.xml, then alternatively enabled (force), disabled (scheduled) in AdvancedSettings\Traffic to see what suits.

Remember, spawning is as good / comprehensive as your AI inventory & afcad's parking and that overnight there are many LCC's on the ramp (as you would similarly see in the sim).

Hope  to hear what you think in this & Vox in toto .... for me, the AI Engine is second to none.

I'll think of you during "happy hour" beginning soon.

for now, cheers

john martin

Just landed from my 1st complete flight with VATC. What I was seeing that prompted the question was AIG AI was present in the sim, along with VATC created AI. i can tell the difference because I have aircraft labels on in P3D and can see the difference in callsign (AIG will show Delta 123 whereas VATC shows DAL123). So it seems that the traffic was duplicated, but I did not see duplicated traffic, just a fix of AIG and VATC AI. So what I'm trying to do is allow VATC to create those AI, without overwhelming the airport with both. I'd only like VATC to generate the traffic so I haer the communications with them. I am just not sure what settings to make. When I arrived at destination (MROC) VATC told me to taxi to gate A13 (only heavy gate and I'm in a 777) but GSX showed that position already occupied. I went into P3D settings and turned the traffic slider there to 0 and every plane disappeared. So that is where I'm confused - turning traffin in P3D to 0 gives me 0, regardless of having the slider in VATC settings at 75%. If I can just figure this out, I'm loving the product so far!

?

Edited by vadriver

for now, cheers

john martin

10 hours ago, vadriver said:
  • You can reserve an afcad spot for your aircraft by assigning it a unique atc_parking_code (VOXP is what I use) if you also include that parking code in your aircraft.

This is a great tip - I learned something new today, thanks!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

6 hours ago, vadriver said:

?

I think I need to play around with the settings a bit more. Just did a quick test and having the traffic slider in the sim at 0% but then traffic slider in VACT settings at 75% gave me a few aircraft around the P3Dv5 default airport area and all were generated by VATC. I'll have to play around with the traffic slider and the other 2 settings you mentioned above (max parking in the xml and enabling the other option in advanced settings) at KATL to see what gives me the best result of full skies and airports, but still gates available to park at. The reason I have not assigned my aircraft a unique parking code is I kind of like the randomness of where I'm going to park lol. I fly all Delta jets, but a fleet of them from a Saab340 up to the bigger jets and having them park at a random open DAL, DALX spot it just easier and more fun for me. And then there is the FSLabs A320 which if i remember correctly rebuilds the aircraft.cfg entry each time it is started therefore any changes I make to the parking code there will not be saved.

I'm pretty sure I can figure this out and find the sweet spot. I was just more curious as to which program (sim or VATC) needed to have the traffic sliders set, but I think I figured that out. I remember reading it in the user guide, but was confused still on what exactly the VATC traffic slider did compared to the sim traffic slider. I have to think back to the old days when I used UTL and see VATC generated traffic that way. I am not sure when I'll be able to get in for another test of tweaked settings, but I hope sometime later today or this evening (pacific time USA)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vadriver said:

Steven

You may know this ....... AIC includes an "analyser" which compiles what your sim could spawn (other factors aside) from your AI inventory at an airport, showing 24/7 the aircraft / airlines on the ground & their arrival / departure details.

'Tis a big help for understanding what one sees in the sim.

for now, cheers

john martin