Sign in to follow this  
Nicoli

FSX Activation Product Key

purchased FSX deluxe from amazon and, downloaded it to an external drive. I already have a copy of FSX on my desktop, I have had it there since 2009...Anyway, I plugged the external drive in to do some flying and was asked to activate it via the product key...Well the product key was wrong and wouldn't activate...Ok, i then unplugged the external drive and attempted to fly from FSX on my desktop, it too is now asking me to activate using a product key...I no longer have that product key...How can i get my desktop FSX started without using a product key.

What the heck happened?

Now i can no longer get into my sim on the desktop!

Welcome to the AVSIM forums! 😀   The only FSX deluxe being sold on Amazon are used discs from a reseller chanlee3002.  Who knows what condition they are in and if they had the proper activation keys (I don't think the activation servers are working anymore).  I think by inserting the external drive and trying to use it caused it to overwrite your original FSX install registry items.

Possibly the only solution is going to be purchasing FSX Steam Edition and deleting all other FSX installs.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

8 hours ago, Nicoli said:

How can i get my desktop FSX started without using a product key.

I built a new system last August and when MSFS arrived in disappointing fashion I too went to install FSX once again.  What I learned is that FSX activation has ceased.  For everyone. For every FSX version.  So I purchased FSX SE and am flying happily along.  All of my FSX addons work fine in FSX SE.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

FSX Activation servers no longer working, explains why i can't activate FSX deluxe on my external drive.

When trying to open FSX on my desktop and it asked me to activate it, i didn't know the files were overwritten.

Shame on Microsoft for not updating the public, that it's activation servers were no longer working for FSX products.

Meanwhile, Amazon and other online stores, are still selling FSX .

Guess I'll never be able to use the panel on Dino Cattaneo F-14D, FSX Acceleration is down as a result.

Thanks guys for the timely explanation of my FSX issue, it all makes sense now.

16 hours ago, fppilot said:

I built a new system last August and when MSFS arrived in disappointing fashion I too went to install FSX once again.  What I learned is that FSX activation has ceased.  For everyone. For every FSX version.  So I purchased FSX SE and am flying happily along.  All of my FSX addons work fine in FSX SE.

Where did you purchase FSX SE?

I's no longer available on amazon and, may never be available again.

MSFS really sucks graphics are great..(depending on your computer system)..However, their are no third party aircraft currently available.

FSX addon aircraft are not compatible so, they cannot be used on that sim. Shame on Microsoft for not allowing, all it's FSX aircraft to be used on the new sim.

747, A320 and a 737 are the only jets you can fly, I'm a heavy jet guy myself.

707,727,747, 767, 777, 787.

A330, A340, A350, A380

C-5 Galaxy, C-141, C-17

DC-8

Man i really don't want to see all those great aircraft go to waste, if i can't get FSX going again, I'm going to have to stop flying.

Can't call Microsoft to complain about the lack of addon aircraft and, the fact, all those great aircraft can't be used in their new sim.

7 hours ago, Nicoli said:

I's no longer available on amazon and, may never be available again.

FSX SE is FSX Steam Edition.  You get it at Steam.  (steam.com)  It is the FSX you know with some enhancements. You do need to register at Steam.  A Steam app is installed on your system.  And the Steam app verifies (in the background) you each time you start the simulator.  It is transparent.  Your previous addons such as aircraft, weather engines, scenery, avionics, all should work just fine.  Mine do.  I am still logging 70-75% of my flight hours in FSX SE.
https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=flight+simulator

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@Nicoli, you have been advised you can buy the Steam Edition of FSX. This is identical to FSX except it's been recompiled with the latest compilers so performance is improved. Here's the official site:-

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

Alternatively, maybe consider moving to a modern version of FSX with Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3D. Now available as a 64-bit program and compatible with some but not all of FSX scenery.

You are unlikely to get your FSX aircraft working with P3D but there are plenty of aircraft available at reasonable prices. More importantly, you'll have a modern simulator that is supported and you can get help here at AvSim.

I've locked your other post on a topic many years old. FSX cannot now be installed so time to make a decision.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

22 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Nicoli, you have been advised you can buy the Steam Edition of FSX. This is identical to FSX except it's been recompiled with the latest compilers so performance is improved. Here's the official site:-

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X_Steam_Edition/

Alternatively, maybe consider moving to a modern version of FSX with Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3D. Now available as a 64-bit program and compatible with some but not all of FSX scenery.

You are unlikely to get your FSX aircraft working with P3D but there are plenty of aircraft available at reasonable prices. More importantly, you'll have a modern simulator that is supported and you can get help here at AvSim.

I've locked your other post on a topic many years old. FSX cannot now be installed so time to make a decision.

Thanks for the quick reply!

1. P3D is way to expensive for my taste, nice sim and pleasing to the eye's.

2. I'm a heavy aircraft kind of guy, it can be really costly to fly in P3D.

Boeing Heavy's, Airbus Heavy's, Military Heavy's=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in payware cost per aircraft and version of same aircraft.

Lastly, the flight-sim store has aircraft carriers as payware, I'm interested in purchasing the USS Midway which i served on, are those carriers compatible with steam? 

Sounds like steam is a better choice for me, if i want to keep flying the friendly sky's.

Thanks again for the info.

@Nicoli, I don’t know what you mean by P3D being too expensive. It’s around the same price for the Academic Licence as FSX was. Around 60USD. That’s the version 99% of us use.

You don’t have to buy all these aircraft at once. Spread the cost out.

Buy the Steam edition by all means but you’re locking yourself into a 15 year-old sim that will never be updated and it’s not inconceivable those servers may be turned off at some point.

There are several sites offering the USS Midway carrier which is compatible with both Steam and P3D. Joining the Steam community is another level of complexity as they support many games. No such problem with P3D.

P3D v5 will give you better performance too and the visuals are miles better. Post your hardware specs so we can check if v5 is okay for you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

FSX cannot now be installed

Having just reactivated FSX, I find this to be an odd remark.

9 minutes ago, Reader said:

Having just reactivated FSX, I find this to be an odd remark.

@Nicoli reported he was unable to activate his installation but you would have known that if you read his posts further up.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

You wrote "FSX cannot now be installed".

It can and it can be activated online, I did this yesterday.

Unless of course the attempt is being made using un-licenced disks bought on Amazon.

Edited by Reader

On 5/26/2021 at 5:45 PM, Ray Proudfoot said:

@Nicoli, I don’t know what you mean by P3D being too expensive. It’s around the same price for the Academic Licence as FSX was. Around 60USD. That’s the version 99% of us use.

I am very surprised to hear you say that 99% of FSX users are using Prepar3D illegally.

From the Licence Options (my highlighting):
Academic License:  Subject to and conditioned on Licensee?s compliance with the terms and conditions of this EULA and payment of the applicable license fee, Licensor hereby grants Licensee a nontransferable, nonsublicenseable, nonexclusive license during the Term of this EULA to use the Software:  (1) on a single Machine, (2) by no more than one user at any one time, (3) in connection with Academic Education, (4) by students, instructors and staff associated with Licensee's Academic Education, (5) in the Academic Territory, and (6) for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment.

I guess I must be the 1% then.

For personal/consumer entertainment there is nothing in the gap between FSX and Flight Simulator 2020 unless you look at other developers products.

John

Edited by John Hinson

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

6 minutes ago, John Hinson said:

I am very surprised to hear you say that 99% of FSX users are using Prepar3D illegally.

No they’re not. They use it to better their skills. That’s all I have to say on this as you know discussion of P3D licensing is forbidden. Any further discussion will result in this topic being locked which would be very unfair on the OP.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather