Sign in to follow this  
Masterius

Maximizing video quality using P3DV5

I'm trying to maximize the video quality when using P3DV5. I'm running Windows 10, and using a Samsung UN40H5003 40-Inch 1080p LED TV as the main display, and the GPU is a NVidia GeForce GTX 10. Benchmarking the entire system using Furmark and similar programs places my system in the top .01%, so I'm pretty sure it can handle things. I suspect that it's a matter of the display--as it's a LED TV rather than a gaming monitor--that's limiting the quality. 

Any suggestions as to how to maximize the video quality for P3DV5? I don't really use this particular system for anything except my flight sim.

@Masterius, a 40” 1920*1080 is not going to make P3D look good. What graphics card do you have? If it’s a 1080Ti then you can run in 4K and that will improve sharpness a lot.

Your TV is seven years old and middle range. I had a Sony 32” FullHD TV and that was okay with flight sim but not great. Monitors will always give you higher image quality but are limited to around 32” and are more expensive.

4K TVs that support chroma 4:4:4 give very good quality but aren’t cheap.

The thing to look for with any display is whether it can run at 30Hz. That’s great for flight sims.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What graphics card do you have? If it’s a 1080Ti then you can run in 4K and that will improve sharpness a lot.

It's a GeForce GTX 1080.

9 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The thing to look for with any display is whether it can run at 30Hz. That’s great for flight sims.

It should be running at 60Hz.

17 minutes ago, Masterius said:

It's a GeForce GTX 1080.

It should be running at 60Hz.

The 1080 is borderline for 4K. But 2560*1440 should be okay. This BenQ is a possibility but it only supports 60Hz.

https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/designer/pd3200q.html

Unless you can maintain 60fps at heavy airports you'll get stuttering as the CPU and GPU are working flat out. Changing to 30 reduces the workload and gives a very smooth performance.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

The 1080 is borderline for 4K. But 2560*1440 should be okay.

That resolution doesn't appear as a selection, so at first I thought I'd be out of luck. But after a few minutes of fumbling about in NVIDIA Control Panel, I stumbled over an option that permits me to customize my own resolution. I set the parameters at 2560*1440, and...

Wow! 😁

Huge, ginormous difference!  Thanks so much!

@Masterius, you're not really seeing that resolution since the TV is not capable of displaying it. It’s probably some kind of trick by Nvidia.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather