Sign in to follow this  
mikealpha

MSFS doesn't launch anymore after update

Mine now simply crashes to desk top after inputing a flight.

i do not have enough computer savvy to fix this.

I am getting beyond p!ssed at this sim.

I am having the exact same issue. I logged out of the store and back in. That didn't help. Ran ccleaner on the registry. That did not help. I am not comfortable editing the registry myself. Frustrating as hell. What next, any suggestions appreciated!

Dove in and deleted the registry entries as suggested earlier in the thread. That did indeed solve the issue. 

When a game came on discs and was installed locally on a machine things were much simpler. I get the advantages of on line but we've all seen how servers crash, services inexplicably stop working, and so on. We no longer own software, just rent it 😰

As I replied in another thread already - it is a "Windoof"-problem with the Microsoft Store and Gaming Service and way more people than MSFS lovers are victims. MS knows about ist, since years.

You will find a lot of tips and hints in the net to solve this - they may or may not work for you. One of these is to delete the entries for gaming service in the registry. But it is getting way further - the prescribed loop comes from double entries for various keys in the registry. At least you can spend hours in trying to solve this and you have to be sure about what you are doing.

I had this problem 3 times and I was tired to do all again and again, one time I had to install Windows complete new.

My recommandation - Backup !  Not only for this, a backup is always recommended.

With the last Su4 update I had the same problem again. I restored my last System backup (C:) and within 15 minutes the problem was solved. No longer hassle.

I make a backup from the System drive every month, from MSFS after every update.

20 Euros for the Pro Backup software and 50 for an external drive - I never regreted this "investment".

It will not solve your problem now - but for the next time for sure ....

Best regards

59 minutes ago, stratone said:

I had this problem 3 times and I was tired to do all again and again, one time I had to install Windows complete new.

Indeed that is what the MS customer service rep got me to do when I had the same issue. She took control of my PC and did it remotely. 

It was apparently caused when I decided to initiate the instal of another program whilst waiting for MSFS to fire up. So my advice is when starting MSFS leave the PC well alone until it's finished loading.

• Like 1

I had the same problem, and I solved it by reinstalling windows, but I did the kind that leaves your apps and files in place.  I actually like to do that every month or two anyway, it's always nice to have a clean fresh Windows install frequently.

HOWEVER...  If you don't know how to do this right, you could end up blowing away everything on your system, so if you want to do this, and don't know what you're doing, please reach out to me and I will either walk you through it, or even remote into your computer and show you how myself.  2nd however...  While I've done it many times without problems, if you ask for my help and I provide it, I will not be liable for any issues that might happen.  I'm just some random Internet nerd offering assistance.  It does work, but there are always risks with such a thing, especially if your Windows install is years and years old.

18 minutes ago, KevyKevTPA said:

I had the same problem, and I solved it by reinstalling windows, but I did the kind that leaves your apps and files in place.  I actually like to do that every month or two anyway, it's always nice to have a clean fresh Windows install frequently.

HOWEVER...  If you don't know how to do this right, you could end up blowing away everything on your system, so if you want to do this, and don't know what you're doing, please reach out to me and I will either walk you through it, or even remote into your computer and show you how myself.  2nd however...  While I've done it many times without problems, if you ask for my help and I provide it, I will not be liable for any issues that might happen.  I'm just some random Internet nerd offering assistance.  It does work, but there are always risks with such a thing, especially if your Windows install is years and years old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldqFdcGL1X0

similar  to  this  done  it  this  way  with no issues

Edited by pete_auau
  • Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Just tried to launch MSFS and bingo..same issue as this thread... no rhyme or reason to it.... tried new password and deleting the registry entries... no joy there... am i seriously going to have to reinstall windows for this???

Surely there is an easier fix? When i double click the desktop icon, it sends me now direct to the ms store page... cant launch the game at all..!

Anyone else with any good news on this front?

Cheers

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

1 hour ago, vonduck said:

Just tried to launch MSFS and bingo..same issue as this thread... no rhyme or reason to it.... tried new password and deleting the registry entries... no joy there... am i seriously going to have to reinstall windows for this???

Surely there is an easier fix? When i double click the desktop icon, it sends me now direct to the ms store page... cant launch the game at all..!

Anyone else with any good news on this front?

Cheers

You can try a Windows Restore to an earlier backup.

8 hours ago, jarmstro said:

You can try a Windows Restore to an earlier backup.

Fortunately, i did a reset on the windows app and low and behold it worked! Phew! The game started after a few attempts!

So frustrating, but next time i think this will be the go..

Thanks for the reply mate

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug 

6 hours ago, vonduck said:

Fortunately, i did a reset on the windows app and low and behold it worked! Phew! The game started after a few attempts!

So frustrating, but next time i think this will be the go..

Thanks for the reply mate

That's good to hear! For future reference which app did you reset? Gaming Services?

50 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

That's good to hear! For future reference which app did you reset? Gaming Services?

Yes indeed, thats the one! Im tucking that away in the memory banks for the inevitable next time!

Doug 

FIXED

Same problem here, had to edit registry per Microsoft forums:

My solution to make GamingServices update without an error (after I tried everything else). The problem is really that Windows supposes that the newer version of GamingServices is already installed (I could see it in Event Viewer). Don't ask why...

So:

Open Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services

Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

Restart Computer

Go to your Windows Store -> 3-dot-menu -> Downloads and Updates -> Check updates

Gaming Services should install now without issue.

Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

1 hour ago, RobertRent said:

FIXED

Same problem here, had to edit registry per Microsoft forums:

My solution to make GamingServices update without an error (after I tried everything else). The problem is really that Windows supposes that the newer version of GamingServices is already installed (I could see it in Event Viewer). Don't ask why...

So:

Open Registry Editor

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SYSTEM -> CurrentControlSet -> Services

Remove the GamingServices and GamingServices.Net

Restart Computer

Go to your Windows Store -> 3-dot-menu -> Downloads and Updates -> Check updates

Gaming Services should install now without issue.

Double check by rebooting and going back to Windows Store and trying to Get Updates again - you should be Up to date.

I have version 25317003.0 is that the latest? I haven't been having that specific issue but really random error messages on launch like cant sign in to xbox live...keep clicking retry and it goes away and launches... then the last message was cant validate purchase...clicked ok and it went away and launched! I did notice once in though that the marketplace was greyed out so couldn't access that... its becoming a tad tedious as of just a few days ago when all was fine!

Doug 

On 5/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, Bobsk8 said:

Well if you screw your registry up in the process, I am sure that someone from Zendesk will help you fix it. 😁 

not a chance!!🤣