Sign in to follow this  
siggy

McMurdo Station

Guest B757200

Anyone fly into McMurdo from the southern tip of S/A in FSX?I experience uncontrollable flight at around 900 miles out, which has occurred on the last 4 attempts into McMurdo. The plane just falls out of the sky for no reason I can explain from FL310 at about M .71 after traveling for several hours. I am starting to run low on B737-800's.Comments? Ideas?Tim

I have not done that flight. The closest I have flown to there is around Ushuaia and the Beagle Channel/Almirante Zar at the southern tip of Arg/Chile. McMurdo isn't anywhere near 90 deg South latitude, so it shouldn't be the old earlier version of FS issue where you couldn't fly exactly to a pole.Aliens? Bermuda Triangle gone south?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I flew into McMurdo from the South Pole, and while there were some odd navigational aspects to the flight it otherwise went quite well. It looks like ACES haven't quite solved the problem of where to locate the origin of their spherical coordinate system.The first pic shows the GPS close to the South Pole, and the second one shows McMurdo from about 10 miles out.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Well the poles look like the sahara due to the lovely desert environment that's all over the sim.There is one trailer there for the airport control tower and that's it. Nothing to see i am afraidAs for navigation, use direct gps.

Did you happen to fly over the south magnetic pole ?I don't know exactly what your "S/A" means, it could be:- South Africa- South America- South AustraliaTherefore it's hard to know your route.Cheers,Siggy

Siggy Schwarz

Guest B757200

I departed from and flew a GPS course Carlos Ibanez de Campo International and like I said, when I am about 900 miles out, I just fall out of the sky. Lots of gas, no weather, everything fine, except for the flat spin, uncontrollable rolling and impact with the terrain.Tim

Can you post your flight plan? Maybe someone else can try it out and see what happens on their sim.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

First question - do you have Pitot Heat turned on?That can cause an aircraft to fall out of the sky on autopilot anywhere in the worldSecond question - which aircraft are you flying ?Third question - have you made similar length flights successfully anywhere else in the FSX world?Fourth question - which of the three airports at McMurdo is your desination?Fifth question - have you flown the real world flight of NZCH - McMurdo successfully?The South Pole airport in FSX is about 740 nm from McMurdo, so you are probably not getting an effect from crossing the pole.I assume from your description you are flying a path created by the FS Flight Planner for a Direct GPS course between the two airports, and that you are flying with the GPS/NAV switch in the GPS position.If any of that is incorrect, please let us know.The magnetic South Pole is approx - 64.53