Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

How do you install FS9 planes into FSX?

Guest MaskedCarrot

I appologize if this has been a covered topic or listed something. I can't for the life of me find it anywhere.But how do you install aircraft made for FS9 into FSX?A few of my favorites I really miss flying, such as Project Fokker's 100, or the Vickers VC10 I can't seem to get them to come up in FSX.I can't get them to show up in the plane listing in the program to choose them.Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest draky

There is no guarantee that any aircraft designed for FS9 will be compatible with FSX however I have found many that seem to work by doing the following:-1) copy the entire aircraft folder (include all sub-folders) to FSX (SimObjects/Airplanes).2) copy all effects that may be associated with the aircaft from FS9's 'Effects' folder into FSX 'Effects' folder.3) copy all gauges that were associated with the aircraft from the FS9 'Gauges' folder into FSX 'Guages' folder.If you are unsure about items (2) and (3) you could consider copying all the effects and gauges from FS9 into FSX BUT make sure you do NOT overwrite any gauges that may exist in FSX. A safe bet would be to make copied of your entire FSX Effects and Gauges folders before you make the changes so you can go back to the original configuration if problems occur.You will not see the 'thumbnail' picture of the new a/c in the FSX aircraft selection window as these do not esist in your system with the older FS9 aircaft - no big deal as the aircarft should still display as a greyed out default and you should be able to select it and load it into FSX.When you do this you may be presented with windows asking if you want to load specific item associated with the 'new' a/c and also if they are to be trusted for future load-ups. Say yes to these and go see if it works.As I said originally no guarantees it will work especially the panels and gauges that may have been aliased or reside in other folders within FS9 - the great Fokkers are an example here as they do have separate sound and panel folder (if I remember well). You can also copy these folders into FSX 'Airplanes' folder and they should work ( i think!).We are all playing the waiting game for developers to catch up with addons so you are not alone - I also enjoy the Fokkers suite and hope they do develop a package for FSX comatibility some day soon.Good luck.... let us all know if it works :)

Guest MaskedCarrot

So what you are telling me is that to use FS9 aircraft on FSX I have to copy files from an FS9 install into FSX?That seems a bit lame. I thought that FSX was supposed to be backwards compatible to a point. Copying files from a previous version is rediculous.Thanks though for the info, I appreciate it.A question though, when you said copy the entire AIRCRAFT folder and it's contents into FSX. Do you mean put the AIRCRAFT folder in FSX and leave it as a seperate folder in FSX, or just copy the contents of the aircraft folder into the simobjects/airplane folder?The bummer though is I have to reinstall FS9 to get to this stuff. The whole issue would really stink for people who don't have FS9. They wouldn't be able to do this. Aces sure went about it the wrong way.

>The bummer though is I have to reinstall FS9 to get to this>stuff. The whole issue would really stink for people who don't>have FS9. They wouldn't be able to do this. Aces sure went>about it the wrong way.First of all, I don't why you were unable to find this using a Search, since it's been discussed at least every other day for the past several months... ;)If you have an FS9 model's original zipped file, or it is self-installing, then the simplest method is to create a new folder in FSX cleverly named Aircraft and run the installer.Afterwards, either select and move the new a/d's folder to the Sim ObjectsAirplanes folder, or......edit the fsx.cfg file to provide the Aircraft folder as a fallback folder:User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjectsAirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsRotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjectsGroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjectsBoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjectsAnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsMiscSimObjectPaths.6-Aircraft

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>So what you are telling me is that to use FS9 aircraft on FSX>I have to copy files from an FS9 install into FSX?>>That seems a bit lame. I thought that FSX was supposed to be>backwards compatible to a point. Copying files from a>previous version is rediculous.>>Thanks though for the info, I appreciate it.>>A question though, when you said copy the entire AIRCRAFT>folder and it's contents into FSX. Do you mean put the>AIRCRAFT folder in FSX and leave it as a seperate folder in>FSX, or just copy the contents of the aircraft folder into the>simobjects/airplane folder?>>The bummer though is I have to reinstall FS9 to get to this>stuff. The whole issue would really stink for people who don't>have FS9. They wouldn't be able to do this. Aces sure went>about it the wrong way.>>Maqny aircraft from FS9 might have problems in FSX due to the useof FS98 gauges, which no longer are supported in FSX.Here's what I suggest. Create a new "Aircraft" folder in FSX underthe SimObjects folder. Put any FS9 aircraft you import into thatfolder, keeping them seperate from the FSX aircraft. You will needto add a line in your fsx.CFG file to get this, or any other folder,recognized. Here's a sample:Under the "Main" section...User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjectsAirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsRotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjectsGroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjectsBoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjectsAnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsMiscSimObjectPaths.6=SimObjectsAircraft :)

Wide-5.jpg

Guest FxF3

Has anybody installed the triple 7 from FS9 into FSX its the only plane I have had trouble with the gauges will not show up for some reason. Any tips would be helpful if you have gotten it to work maybe I have missed a file or panel edit.Heres a guide that might help you with FS9 to FSX aircraft.http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fs9-to-fsx.htm

>Has anybody installed the triple 7 from FS9 into FSX its the>only plane I have had trouble with the gauges will not show up>for some reason. Any tips would be helpful if you have gotten>it to work maybe I have missed a file or panel edit.>>Heres a guide that might help you with FS9 to FSX aircraft.>>http://www.flightsimulatorguide.com/fs9-to-fsx.htmI've got a B777-300 from FS9 working well in FSX. It hasa VC and uses the "Boeing777-300.gau" gauge dated 6/12/2003.I have that guage in my main FSX gauge folder ( moved it thereafter determining that all was well ).I have three liveries installed: Air Canada, United and Aeroflot.I'm not sure if this was a FS9 default A/C or not as I tend to remove all the "Orbit" and "Paintx" textures when I downloadreal-world liveries.The model file is "B777_300.mdl", 838KB, 5/30/2003. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest MaskedCarrot

Thanks alot for the help guys.Unfortunately after doing that, I tried putting in a FS9 plane and it didn't show up in the plane listing.I don't think I did anything wrong, but it still has me scratching my head.

>Thanks alot for the help guys.>>Unfortunately after doing that, I tried putting in a FS9 plane>and it didn't show up in the plane listing.>>I don't think I did anything wrong, but it still has me>scratching my head.>You might try adding these two lines to your aircraft.cfg butI don't think their absence would cause an aircraft not toappear in the menu. Does your FS9 aircraft have all the requisite subfolders( model, panel, sound, texture ) and an .air file?Not sure what else might be amiss. You don't have any filtering selected in your FSX menu do you? Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest FxF3

Thanks Paul will retry that. I miss the 777.

Guest MaskedCarrot

>>Thanks alot for the help guys.>>>>Unfortunately after doing that, I tried putting in a FS9>plane>>and it didn't show up in the plane listing.>>>>I don't think I did anything wrong, but it still has me>>scratching my head.>>>You might try adding these two lines to your aircraft.cfg but>I don't think their absence would cause an aircraft not to>appear in the menu. >>Does your FS9 aircraft have all the requisite subfolders>( model, panel, sound, texture ) and an .air file?>>Not sure what else might be amiss. You don't have any>filtering >selected in your FSX menu do you? >You said to try to add these two lines, but you didn't mention what the lines were. :)

>>>Thanks alot for the help guys.>>>>>>Unfortunately after doing that, I tried putting in a FS9>>plane>>>and it didn't show up in the plane listing.>>>>>>I don't think I did anything wrong, but it still has me>>>scratching my head.>>>>>You might try adding these two lines to your aircraft.cfg>but-SNIP->>You said to try to add these two lines, but you didn't mention>what the lines were. :)>Sorry...I did a "copy" but forgot to do the "paste" part when Ityped that reply. here you go:ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation" Paul

Wide-5.jpg