Sign in to follow this  
Guest PPSFA

Installing FSX

Guest newdesinr1

This is my first time using this particular Forum, & I haven't had time to read every thread, so f'give me if someone/many ones have asked same question befo'. Anyway, it's this: I have the dluxe ed of X, & I hafta make room on my main C Drive for it now. Box sez it takes 15 G, right? So, I wanta move an old copy of FS2000 & also Combat Sim 3 to my "F" (external) drive for the time being. Now, here's the problem, & my query: When I go to do this, Windows sez something like, "Warning! Moving or deleting this program may cause other programs to malfunction or not work at all." Something like that. So, does this mean that I can NEVER get rid of those programs? I need the space badly. What's the deal here?

I'll answer your question, then ask a few more :)Doing that may not work so well, because the program shortcuts (on your desktop) won't work anymore, but you can change them....I'd also recommend not moving the two games but uninstalling them and/or reinstalling them to the different drive/partitionHow big is your hard drive?What are your system specs?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest iwantmydc3

> This is my first time using this particular Forum, & I>haven't had time to read every thread, so f'give me if>someone/many ones have asked same question befo'. Anyway, it's>this: I have the dluxe ed of X, & I hafta make room on my main>C Drive for it now. Box sez it takes 15 G, right? So, I wanta>move an old copy of FS2000 & also Combat Sim 3 to my "F">(external) drive for the time being. > Now, here's the problem, & my query: When I go to do this,>Windows sez something like, "Warning! Moving or deleting this>program may cause other programs to malfunction or not work at>all." Something like that. So, does this mean that I can NEVER>get rid of those programs? I need the space badly. What's the>deal here?Hi:You should NEVER change WIndows programs by deleting or moving them with file management-you need to uninstall the programs, and then reinstall them to the new location. Setup scripts make entries in your Windows Registry, and put files and pointers to files all over your hard drive: if you manually move, say the whole folder structure to drive D: or whatnot, both the Windows Registry and any .cfg files, .dll files, etc associated with the program won't 'know where to look' and you will get all sorts of error messages, and sometimes, OS crashes.So use the programs uninstall routine (sometimes there's an icon to it in the program group), or look in the "add-remove programs" applet in Control Panel-it will usually have an "uninstall" for the programs. If not you will need to get a third party uninstaller. The main thing is DONT manually move or delete programs!

Guest newdesinr1

>I'll answer your question, then ask a few more :)>>Doing that may not work so well, because the program shortcuts>(on your desktop) won't work anymore, but you can change>them....I'd also recommend not moving the two games but>uninstalling them and/or reinstalling them to the different>drive/partition>>How big is your hard drive?>>What are your system speHi, and thanx f'r the advice. By the standards of some of the stuff (including yourz) that I see on these msg bds, I've got a Neandertal's stone axe! To wit:Dell Dimension 4550P-4 2.40 GHZ768 MB DDR SDRAM-Single Core & non-HTNVIDIA FX5200 128 MB VidcardWestern Dig WDC75CAAO 55.8 GB Main HDSeagate 160 GB Extern. HD USB2.0Note: ONLY 9.07 GB Free on the Western Dig--My "C" Drive--So ya see why I need more space for FSX. Guess I've become a bit of a hoarder over the years. I can delete mere files at any time, but I hate to part with any whole apps or programs, once I've installed them. Guess mebbe it was a good thing I bought "X"-now I'm forced to look and see which progs I REALLY, REALLY need, & which are just there for reasons of inertia,if y'know what I mean!-- newdesinr1

Guest newdesinr1

Hi. See my answer to RYANBATCUND for details of my (apparently, now) "low end" system. And thanx f'r the "headsup" about NOT using filemgt. methods to free up space on my "C" drive. Now I'm gonna hafta see what stuff I really need, & uninstall the rest, then see if I want to reinstall any of it-if I even still have the orig. disks!-to go on the extern. "F" drive.--newdesinr1

Guest PPSFA

I hate to rain on your parade, but with that system, you wont be happy with FSX at all, you need a serious upgrade. Save yourself the headache and stay with your current FS.