Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Is MSFS 2020 worth the hassle of a move from FSX-SE?

It is noticeable that the most enthusiastic proponents of MSFS2020 seem to have way more capable hardware than I could aspire to.🙂

41 minutes ago, threebears said:

It is noticeable that the most enthusiastic proponents of MSFS2020 seem to have way more capable hardware than I could aspire to.🙂

Your GPU is borderline but overall your system should be OK for 1080p on medium/high settings at 30 fps. Which is still heads and shoulders better than FSX.

Asobo could of course have avoided all the issues about hardware requirements by limiting the graphics sliders to the current "high" level and relabelling high as "ultra"  and the game would have still been impressive and blown any previous sims out of the water -  but fortunately they did not.

Think of it this way. Even if the best you manage is "medium" - medium on MSFS will be vastly better than FSX maxed out and you have all those lovely even better options to look forward to if you pick up some better (new or 2nd hand) hardware somewhere later on.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, threebears said:

MSFS runs very well on my computer (see specs in the signature) with no setting  below HIGH.

The problem for you is two-fold : your aircraft of choice are not available and  for the PMDG 737 available before the end of the year, your card is a little weak. Moving from 4 GB of VRAM to the 6 GB of 1660TI will help  but a 8 GB graphic card would be even better.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, threebears said:

OK ... recorded a video of the default C152 joining base and landing at the Orbx version of Dundee Scotland.

This was recorded with the game at MEDIUM settings 30FPs and 1080p.

Your system will be easily capable of going quite a bit higher than medium at 1080p.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, threebears said:

Actually I get equally enjoyable performance out of P3D and MSFS with my hardware. 1080/8700k, neither overclocked, I set the overall setting to Ultra on day 1 and haven't touched it since. What FPS am I getting? Not a clue. Couldn't care less. By far the people complaining the most about their hardware in MSFS and what FPS they're getting are people with 10700k's overclocked to 8,000 GHz and RTX3090s, whining about getting 25 FPS going into LAX in a 787 at 4K with all the settings maxed. 

3 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Actually I get equally enjoyable performance out of P3D and MSFS with my hardware. 1080/8700k, neither overclocked, I set the overall setting to Ultra on day 1 and haven't touched it since. What FPS am I getting? Not a clue. Couldn't care less. By far the people complaining the most about their hardware in MSFS and what FPS they're getting are people with 10700k's overclocked to 8,000 GHz and RTX3090s, whining about getting 25 FPS going into LAX in a 787 at 4K with all the settings maxed. 

People don't realize that he processing power for 4K is many times what is needed for 2K  or 1440. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

7 hours ago, threebears said:

Exactly!  Flight simulation and indeed many other games require the, if not the best very capable hardware.  Nothing is new there.

Perhaps you might consider the latest XBOX Series X gaming consoles.  Cheap by PC gaming standards, they are sure to be competent because code will be written specifically for them.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

On 5/31/2021 at 12:03 PM, cobalt said:

With all respect (of course), I have to disagree. MSFS is superior for all kinds of flight, not just low-and-slow VFR. I have flown many hours in MSFS in heavies, and while there are certainly some challenges in getting used to the new sim, for me there is no going back to FSX, ever.  

Nothing in MSFS even compares to in depth heavy airliner experiences in FSX like Fly the Maddog not even the MSFS version Aerosoft CRJ.

I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't experienced the feel of Leonardo Software's Maddog to know any better, I feel its still thee best heavy airline simulation in flight simming history...PERIOD

Show me a MSFS heavy that even scratches the service of this level of quality and in depth functionality and I'll surely give it a go.

Until the Leonardo releases a MSFS version nothing tops this particular plane's experience in FSX/P3D on feel alone.

Until then its FSX for heavy long haul routes and MSFS for low level VFR for me... IMO

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

4 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Nothing in MSFS even compares to in depth heavy airliner experiences in FSX like Fly the Maddog not even the MSFS version Aerosoft CRJ.

I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't experienced the feel of Leonardo Software's Maddog to know any better.

Show me a MSFS heavy that even scratches the service of this level of quality and in depth functionality and I'll surely give it a go.

Until the Leonardo releases a MSFS version nothing tops this particular plane's experience in FSX/P3D on feel alone.

Fly the What? I'll take your word for it.  No interest here. My comment was based on 15 years of FSX with full  scenery and weather enhancements --- a great sim for its time --- vs. 9 months with MSFS 2020, which blows it all away immersion-wise.

3 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Fly the What? I'll take your word for it.  No interest here. My comment was based on 15 years of FSX with full  scenery and weather enhancements --- a great sim for its time --- vs. 9 months with MSFS 2020, which blows it all away immersion-wise.

My point exactly....15 years of FSX with full scenery and weather enhancements and you never experienced Leonardo's MD-82.

Which heavy aircraft are you enjoying in MSFS?

Maybe I'll pay one more attention.

• Like 1

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

On the other hand the past is a done deal.  Looking forward I preach keeping MSFS positive for the sake of OUR hobby.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

My point exactly....15 years of FSX with full scenery and weather enhancements and you never experienced Leonardo's MD-82.

Which heavy aircraft are you enjoying in MSFS?

Maybe I'll pay one more attention.

You do know that we are happy that you enjoy your favorite aircraft in FSX right? And surely NOT everyone feels that the aircraft you love, is the one they prefer even in FSX, or think is the best for that platform. And IF someone says they enjoy flying a heavy aircraft in MSFS, you will just argue with them about it? It's a no win situation to even bring up a heavy in MSFS. Not because we CAN enjoy flying one. But because at this moment, you don't care for any of them. Which you shouldn't if your favorite aircraft at the exact same level and performance is not available.

Your mind is made up already and NO one can change it. Very simple actually! So enjoy your sim and your favorite aircraft. And have FUN!

Why argue about sim(s). Fly all the ones you own for various reasons. Why do we care?

• Like 4

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

17 minutes ago, in2tech said:

You do know that we are happy that you enjoy your favorite aircraft in FSX right? And surely NOT everyone feels that the aircraft you love, is the one they prefer even in FSX, or think is the best for that platform. And IF someone says they enjoy flying a heavy aircraft in MSFS, you will just argue with them about it? It's a no win situation to even bring up a heavy in MSFS. Not because we CAN enjoy flying one. But because at this moment, you don't care for any of them. Which you shouldn't if your favorite aircraft at the exact same level and performance is not available.

Your mind is made up already and NO one can change it. Very simple actually! So enjoy your sim and your favorite aircraft. And have FUN!

Why argue about sim(s). Fly all the ones you own for various reasons. Why do we care?

Who's arguing?

Please quit reaching for conflict.

You've contradicted the whole point of this very discussion, let's not use bias and nitpick what we choose to categorize as a combative argument.

Thanks!

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

2 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

Until then its FSX for heavy long haul routes and MSFS for low level VFR for me... IMO

So your actually arguing to run both ?

That seems logical. The focus of MSFS so far has been much more on GA and corporate jets ( with one reasonable regional jet ) and it does those really well.

It is not as if you would delete DCS just because MSFS has a Corsair and a Spitfire either. If you feel FSX does some stuff better keep both.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

So your actually arguing to run both ?

That seems logical. The focus of MSFS so far has been much more on GA and corporate jets ( with one reasonable regional jet ) and it does those really well.

It is not as if you would delete DCS just because MSFS has a Corsair and a Spitfire either. If you feel FSX does some stuff better keep both.

Well said!🍻

That is exactly how I feel for now with MSFS, it shines more for me with GA and bizjets.

So depending on what I'm in the mood for I'll fire up FSX or MSFS.

It also helps relieve me from the emotional rollercoaster this new developing sim goes through with patches when you still have another sim to enjoy while MSFS goes through it's growing pains!

I have the best of both worlds with experiences like Fly the Maddog, Aerosoft 318/320/CRJ,Majestic Q400 etc etc in FSX and the GA low level scenery flying visuals of MSFS especially the Airbus H135 and these awesome freeware scenery addons.

For some reason this very logic seems difficult for some to grasp here on AVSIM.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram