Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Is MSFS 2020 worth the hassle of a move from FSX-SE?

30 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Who's arguing?

Please quit reaching for conflict.

You've contradicted the whole point of this very discussion, let's not use bias and nitpick what we choose to categorize as a combative argument.

Thanks!

You asked which heavy aircraft we were flying? I thought you meant they were inferior for ANYONE to fly they way the choose?

If not, I'll actually apologize for interrupting incorrectly? Never mind, see where I went wrong in replying to you, wrong person!

Once again, I apologize for replying to you in that way! I have no problem saying when I was wrong.

And I was big time WRONG here! Sorry about that!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

3 minutes ago, in2tech said:

You asked which heavy aircraft we were flying? I thought you meant they were inferior for ANYONE to fly they way the choose?

If not, I'll actually apologize for interrupting incorrectly? Never mind, see where I went wrong in replying to you, wrong person!

Once again, I apologize for replying to you in that way! I have no problem saying when I was wrong.

And I was big time WRONG here! Sorry about that!

All good 🍻

• Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

3 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

My point exactly....15 years of FSX with full scenery and weather enhancements and you never experienced Leonardo's MD-82.

Which heavy aircraft are you enjoying in MSFS?

Maybe I'll pay one more attention.

Let me be clear. I am happy that you are happy with Leonardo's MD-82 and Madd-dog whatever, or anything else you are enjoying in FSX, but I am not interested. MSFS has so much more to enjoy as far as I am concerned. Since you asked, I fly the Airbus and the 787, both of which are far better in MSFS than in FSX; in fact, no comparison. FSX is now a museum piece.

On 6/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, blueshark747 said:

It's WAY EARLY for this discussion, and of course cockpit simulation, which is really what you are referring to, and the type of immersion that comes from that aspect of 'flight simming'.  It's the rest of the show that's sorely lacking and always will in FSX, and very like P3D as well, including that huge aspect of 'immersion'.  You're correct to refer to 10's of years when you talk about FSX/P3D/XP, and we have a grand total now of around 9 months post MSFS release.  Put another way, as a 'cockpit simulator' MSFS is miles ahead of where FSX/P3D are on the other aspects of 'flight simulation'.  

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 hour ago, Noel said:

It's WAY EARLY for this discussion, and of course cockpit simulation, which is really what you are referring to, and the type of immersion that comes from that aspect of 'flight simming'.  It's the rest of the show that's sorely lacking and always will in FSX, and very like P3D as well, including that huge aspect of 'immersion'.  You're correct to refer to 10's of years when you talk about FSX/P3D/XP, and we have a grand total now of around 9 months post MSFS release.  Put another way, as a 'cockpit simulator' MSFS is miles ahead of where FSX/P3D are on the other aspects of 'flight simulation'.  

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

49 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Firstly, I never contested the idea of flying heavies in MSFS, I never have even once.  I use PMDG NGXu and 777 in P3D 4.5, at least I used to until several months ago, w/ a brief foray back into P3D when the infamous 'fps drops' began appearing in MSFS, and those have largely diminished since one update I believe, and I've yet to fire up P3D since.   To cope w/ the fake world during that foray, after getting out of nice 3rd party airports, I flew only from dusk to dawn when the world outside hardly matters, and certainly is compatible w/ 'cockpit simulation'.  This being said, I did exactly no heavy aircraft in P3D without using FSCaptain, which helped add some meaning to flying heavies in P3D.  For me, the immersion that comes from flying thru a vastly more real world, especially in terms of not only scenery matching real-world scenery very closely, but also lighting is huge and atmospherics as well.  Because of these things I find flying my old favs in P3D, even despite having FSCaptain to help ease the boredom, to have lost appeal for me.  I fly multiple flights daily in MSFS, w/o the addition crutch of FSCaptain, though look forward to its arrival when it gets here, and they seem determined.  Absolutely, the default biz jets are really compelling and out of the box are very satisfying to fly.  When PMDG gets their airware ported to MSFS that will be fun to resume, though I don't miss it as much as I though I would.  As I say, P3D/FSX really for me are cockpit sims much more than 'flight sims', as in the sense of flying thru our real world.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Even with VR, which I don't have (yet anyway), there will always be a limit on the level of "immersion", when I'm sitting in a spare bedroom on a static seat, with plastic mass-market controls that only approximate to real world controls.  

36 minutes ago, threebears said:

Even with VR, which I don't have (yet anyway), there will always be a limit on the level of "immersion", when I'm sitting in a spare bedroom on a static seat, with plastic mass-market controls that only approximate to real world controls.  

Well sure, it's a flight sim, but for a flight sim, the immersion is far greater for me in MSFS, already, 9 months out.

• Like 1

Noel

Not sure if this helps the OP much however I abandoned FSX about 3 years ago.  It got so bloated and I reckon I was editing configs more than I was flying.

I have a modest system - Ryzen 5 3600 with rtx3060ti, 16GB RAM and 500GB NVME SSD with a 2tb HDD.  My experience so far has been beyond amazing.  45FPS everywhere at HIGH and now I'm just flying!  The best result I could imagine.

I think you should go for it and as a bonus, the default airports are all damned good compared to FSX.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

On 5/29/2021 at 7:07 AM, Bert Pieke said:

That  is simply not true.. if you have the system that will run it, you will be in for a positive surprise. 😀

Agree.  The new SIM is amazing.  Highly recommend that for those ready to make the move, do it.

• Like 3

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

Thank you JaseMelbo, that's encouraging, but also really interesting what people regard as 'modest' systems.  The range of equipment, and investment, is amazing.  From the time I found a copy of MS2004 in a charity shop, and got into 'simming', I've been in a steady process of upgrading, upgrading, and yet more upgrading,