Sign in to follow this  
threebears

Is MSFS 2020 worth the hassle of a move from FSX-SE?

3 hours ago, RobF2 said:

Hey threebears, you should definitely do the $1 game pass trial and see what your performance is like.  I'd be willing to wager you'll manage "high" (not ultra) settings for most things and frame rates will exceed P3D/FSX significantly with eye candy you won't believe.  

I'm on a quad core I7 (4770) but with 1660Ti graphics card.  Fully expected to have to upgrade, but you may find you can put if off almost indefinitely if pleased with performance during trial period.

Thanks RobF2. 

I registered with X-box last night for the £1 pass and will have a look in the nest few days.

The point of my original query was that, from 'community' chatter, it seemed to me there were instabilities, or other downsides, to both P3D and MSFS2020 but that, probably sooner than later, I would want to transition from FSX-SE.  I wanted to see what others, with experience, really thought and whether the relative immaturity of both (compared to creaking FSX) was worth the effort.  I'm certain I need to upgrade my GPU from 1050ti.  How far to go with that, given my 600W PSU, is a poser.  It's clear, from the answers I have had, that there are 'devotees' of all 3 systems, based on their equipment, the depth of involvement in simulation (as opposed to 'gaming').  I may need a more thorough, future proof, upgrade before deciding what to do.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, threebears said:

t's clear, from the answers I have had, that there are 'devotees' of all 3 systems,

Devotees and haters are the two scourges of this hobby. They are often the same persons, the obverse and reverse of the same medal so to speak  😏.

So take the advice of a hater, add the advice of devotee, divide by two and you have a reasonable point of view. 

But procrastination has its merits too. Anticipation is often the best part of a purchase 😄 !

OK, now back to my garden, work to do.

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 5/28/2021 at 2:11 PM, Ricardo41 said:

Complaints come from a small albeit vocal minority. IMHO, the majority of CTDs and install problems are user-generated: folks overclocking their gpu's, having 600 mods installed, mods that conflict with one another etc.

I have a 6 year old system, am running MSFS off of an aging harddrive and get adequate performance at low/medium settings. Check out my screenshot threads in the screenshot forum.

There is not a chance in hell I'd ever move back to another sim.

Your SSD is tiny, so that might pose a problem for installing mods. As others have suggested, try it out and see how you like it.

(Note to Moderators - I'm aware that this is not the place for discussing hardware, but several posts in reply to my SIM platform query have mentioned hardware as well).

My mistake41 Ricardo: my SSD is 500GB.  I have its predecessor, a 1TB HDD, but not 'hooked up.  I was my intention to run FSX, or whatever I decide to replace it with, on one of these as a separate drive.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, threebears said:

I'm certain I need to upgrade my GPU from 1050ti.  How far to go with that, given my 600W PSU, is a poser. 

I actually believe that you are good to go with that GPU, as least to start with.. If I were you, I would invest in an additional 500 GB SSD ($75 or so) and get MSFS ($60), install it on that SSD,  and try it out...

By all means, keep your FSX install.... I still have P3DV5 installed, although I am using it less and less.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

On 5/29/2021 at 2:05 PM, MrGarak said:

It depends on your use case, I hardly touch it right now, waiting for some better airliners and IMO a better camera system. I literally cannot stand using the current camera system, it is terrible.

It's a good platform and I'm excited to see what add-ons come out for it. But for now I'll stick to P3D and X-Plane.

What's wrong with the camera system? Mine works exactly the same as it did in p3d where I have chaseplane.

Actually it was probably easier to set up tbh.....

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

48 minutes ago, Gazzareth said:

What's wrong with the camera system? Mine works exactly the same as it did in p3d where I have chaseplane.

Actually it was probably easier to set up tbh.....

G

I have used EZdok for years and thought it was better than Chaseplane. Now that I am used to MSFS, I like it better than Ezdok. especially the drone with an X box controller. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

15 hours ago, threebears said:

I registered with X-box last night for the £1 pass and will have a look in the nest few days.

Cool, let us know if it works at all? And if it does, what yo think?

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

I enjoy MSFS for the VFR visuals.

I still enjoy FSX for the in depth high quality study level long haul flight payware experiences like 

Fly the Maddog X

Majestic Software Dash 8 Q400 

Aerosoft CRJ and Airbus Collection

While MSFS has more modern visuals it still doesn't scratch the itch of the rewarding in depth complexity that FSX/P3D does. 

In time I'm sure MSFS will get there....but meanwhile nothing replaces my FSX build when I feel those specific wants and needs of an in depth complex well planned airliner flight in FSX with all bells and whistles in the experience

Flyinside VR
ORBX FTX Trees
ORBX FTX Global
ORBX Vector
FSDT GSX
ORBX OpenLCs
FSX Shade
Numerous FSDT,Flytampa,TropicalSim,ORBX, Sceneries
Traffic 360
REX SkyForce 3D
REX 4 Texture Direct

I'll be enjoying both FSX and MSFS for a very very long time....I don't need to downsize and only depend on one simulator.

My computer setup fully supports both experiences perfectly and I don't particularly need fancy high tech photogrammetry to enjoy high altitude long haul flights.

I also still prefer REX clouds in FSX/P3D over MSFS clouds.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

2 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

I'll be enjoying both FSX and MSFS for a very very long time....I don't need to downsize and only depend on one simulator.

Exactly, fly what you want, when you want. Your PC, your simulators, ONLY you decide what and when to fly each.

Enjoy and have FUN!

• Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

I’ll preface by saying I fly in RL, although not as much lately as I would like. I used to fly hundreds of hours a year but haven’t for several years. I’ve also been simming since the 1980s and DOS versions of MSFS.

Having said all of that, MSFS is amazing and the only version of the sim  I use now. It completely blows away FSX, which is 15 years old, and P3D always seemed like a little bit less buggy version of FSX and the 64 bit update helped to make that so.

MSFS 2020 is the what everyone tried to make in FSX and P3D with mesh and scenery and all kinds of expensive add ons. VFR flight is better than any other version and it’s not even remotely close. 

Edited by neil0311
  • Like 2

On 5/28/2021 at 12:47 PM, threebears said:

I'm at my twice yearly "shall I shan't I?" over moving from FSX-SE to another platform.  Having been put off P3D by issues I'm prevented from mentioning (LOL) I now am reconsidering MSFS 2020.  Everywhere I look there are complaints about failures to install, CTDs, bugs and so on.  I have 38mb/s broadband, and i7 quadcore CPU, 20MB RAM, a GTX1050ti GPU with 4MB memory and a newly installed 250MB SSD - all of which ought to be good enough (I think).

I'm going to lose quite a lot of paid-for FSX-SE add-ons (mostly P3D compatible) but is MSFS2020 now stable enough, and reliable enough to install, to make it worthwhile?  I'd rather not use Steam again, but should I go for disk or download?

No brainer just do it . There has been hickups but if your patient this sim will be epic . 

Edited by Dazzaboy

On 5/30/2021 at 8:18 AM, gb09f said:

version 5 of SimulatorNotAllowed

Sorry to barge in here, but I just had to give this the thumbs up! Love it! (and I'm talking about the wording, not the sim, in case anybody is feeling defensive)

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

On 5/28/2021 at 7:47 AM, threebears said:

I'm at my twice yearly "shall I shan't I?" over moving from FSX-SE to another platform.  Having been put off P3D by issues I'm prevented from mentioning (LOL) I now am reconsidering MSFS 2020.  Everywhere I look there are complaints about failures to install, CTDs, bugs and so on.  I have 38mb/s broadband, and i7 quadcore CPU, 20MB RAM, a GTX1050ti GPU with 4MB memory and a newly installed 250MB SSD - all of which ought to be good enough (I think).

I'm going to lose quite a lot of paid-for FSX-SE add-ons (mostly P3D compatible) but is MSFS2020 now stable enough, and reliable enough to install, to make it worthwhile?  I'd rather not use Steam again, but should I go for disk or download?

Depends on what kind of flying you do. IFR long haul in heavy metal? Nope. VFR bopping around the countryside in a 172? Oh boy, hurry up and change!

On 5/29/2021 at 6:09 AM, Bobsk8 said:

I am a real world pilot as well as a long time simmer. The Mooney, the JF Arrow and the Seminole have pretty good flight dynamics, at least for me. But what do I know, I only have around 600 hours flying in RL... Flying in FSX and P3D is like flying over wallpaper, with printed and flattened scenery on it. 

But just with superior flight dynamics. And there’s the difference. MSsS currently is a distance 3rd or 4th in that regard compared to the other sims. And where it matters for me. If I want ‘pretty scenery’, I’ll go to google maps. 

• Like 1