Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

Very blurry textures at high altitude

Hi guys, have you tried to fly at high altitude?

This is what I have now at 40,000 ft. Connection is fine and exchanging data without issues (600 Mbit fiber).

Can we have something better at Ultra settings or are they preparing the graphics for the XBox 360?

image.png

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Interesting.  I noticed on the download screen as I was getting the last update a mention that the game file size had been shrunk from 170gb to 80gbs by optimizing the entire game.  I'm all for optimization but I hope we don't lose quality on the PC so it can run better on console.

Edited by Isaiah53six
  • Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

"Can we have something better?"  You ceetainly can if you are happy for the sim to run at 10 FPS.

Although the game has been optimised, your installation will not have been unless you delete the program and reinstall.  The textures are on the server, so optimisation won't affect visuals.

Assuming you have a fast rig and settings at ultra, make sure your sliders are too the right (they will go higher by tweaking the cfg file (though I can't remember the maximums offhand - 300 seems to ring a bell).

What are your pc and mobitor specs?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

11 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

Interesting.  I noticed on the download screen as I was getting the last update a mention that the game file size had been shrunk from 170gb to 80gbs by optimizing the entire game.  I'm all for optimization but I hope we don't lose quality on the PC so it can run better on console.

Nope, those are two different things. File compression for download is normal for a lot of games distributed online, such as those at Steam. Once the download is finished, the files are unpacked. There is no loss of quality because of that

• Like 2

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

28 minutes ago, Isaiah53six said:

The game size is the same. What is different is that during the download process, the files are compressed better so that the download requires less space.  But once it's downloaded, the files are uncompressed so the game size is no different than before.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The overall quality / performance should be better on middle / high end pc’s than on the XBox.

Most fast graphics card are more expensive than a XBox. 
Myself I have the 3090.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, cianpars said:

"Can we have something better?"  You ceetainly can if you are happy for the sim to run at 10 FPS

Before the last update it looked better than this and the performance was also better. It was butter smooth with fps locked at 48 even in airliners and in the final approach phase.

I played for about 4 hours since the patch (2 x airliner IFR high altitude + 1 VFR flight) and I noticed that the following thigs have gotten worse:

• Stuttering frequency even in remote areas and with small aircraft
  • Coastline glitch
  • LOD and tree distance
  • Low resolution texture at high altitude
  • Terrain morphing
  • Loading time before the flight

Other people are complaining: 

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/terrain-lod-has-been-degraded-again/405286

Edited by MrFuzzy

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

Stay in the plane and fly. People complain about one thing so Asobo changes it and it affects something else then people start complaining again 🤦🏿‍♂️. Ya'll want more ai traffic, they gave it now more performance hit. You can't have everything. Don't see why people are still obsessed with see tack sharp textures at 40k feet 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, MrFuzzy said:

Hi guys, have you tried to fly at high altitude?

This is what I have now at 40,000 ft. Connection is fine and exchanging data without issues (600 Mbit fiber).

Can we have something better at Ultra settings or are they preparing the graphics for the XBox 360?

image.png

btw this looks like drone mode with the depth of field smh

1 hour ago, devgrp said:

btw this looks like drone mode with the depth of field smh

No, it's external view without zoom.

13 hours ago, Pastaiolo said:

Nope, those are two different things. File compression for download is normal for a lot of games distributed online, such as those at Steam. Once the download is finished, the files are unpacked. There is no loss of quality because of that

good to know...thank you for the clarification as well

Edited by Isaiah53six
  • Like 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

Well they had to shrink the textures for the Xbox release so...

Chris Camp

15 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Well they had to shrink the textures for the Xbox release so...

There will be more optimizations coming for us desktop users thanks again to the XBOX version.

Regards

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

They are using a heavy LOSSY image compression in the aerial imagery even before the HTTP compression compressed for download. If you download the Bing imagery manually using Ortho4XP for Xplane, it is higher res than what MSFS gives us, even from say 2000 feet. That said, they are also over-lodding some of the stuff at this point, but if they are going to change anything...

I'd rather first they allow the imagery to be downloaded at a higher res in the source, they are bean counting the bandwidth though (or so it appears). Playing a game called "Death Stranding" just to take a short break from MSFS, wish the mountains looked like that in MSFS (hey we can wish).

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

3 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

They are using a heavy LOSSY image compression in the aerial imagery even before the HTTP compression compressed for download. If you download the Bing imagery manually using Ortho4XP for Xplane, it is higher res than what MSFS gives us, even from say 2000 feet. That said, they are also over-lodding some of the stuff at this point, but if they are going to change anything...

I'd rather first they allow the imagery to be downloaded at a higher res in the source, they are bean counting the bandwidth though (or so it appears). Playing a game called "Death Stranding" just to take a short break from MSFS, wish the mountains looked like that in MSFS (hey we can wish).

I know Death Stranding and I know that we cannot ask a flight simulator representing the entire world to look like a one-map action game where everything is supposed to be looked at at ground level, but...

BUT before the update it was much better, slightly blurry textures at high altitude were shown only at high settings, now with ultra textures (everything ultra actually) and 8x8 supersampling it looks horrible.

Plus, on descent, blocks of textures loading in patches... with framerate limited and headroom on the CPU main thread.

This is a progressive degradation of the sim patch after patch since release. They are lowering the bar progressively and they still have people who justify them on the forums. 

This is what people used to define blurry 9 months ago.

Edited by MrFuzzy