Sign in to follow this  
beatle

If nothing else, you gotta love the FSX radar...

I've been dabbling the past couple of days, installing theFSX "radar" into some of the aircraft that I fly often.I used to use the "f16.gau" "radar to keep track of all theAI around me, and I still do in some cases, but the FSX radargives me a whole lot more info. There does seem to be a bitof a hit on FPS but even on my slow'ish older system, it'sacceptable.Attached are some screenies I took of the default B737-800,the BAC 1-11-510ED and the Trident. ( It was snowing at KROC when I took these shots ) Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Paul. Can you tell us the name of .gau file and how you configured it in the panel? Did you use FSPanel ? Craig

>>> Paul.>> Can you tell us the name of .gau file and how you configured>it in the> panel? Did you use FSPanel ?>> CraigThe radar gauge package is "radar.cab". I've "de-cabed" it so thatI can do some customization.As to installing the radarfeatures in an aircraft, there are afew options. You can embed the radar display and control panelif there is room to do so, as I did with the 1-11 and Tridentor you can use a pop-up window to overlay an exisiting display,as I did with the B737-800.I sometimes use FS Panel Studio to find the correct X,Y,x,yvalues but I always insert the gauge code into a panel.cfg using notepad so that any comments I added are not erased byFS Panel Studio ( a real annoying "feature" of that program )I started with some baseline info from a download named"ActiveRadarFSX.zip" that I probably found on AVsim or Simviation.There are examples of "Windowxx" sections to create the variouswindows. You can then tweak as required.To embed the radar display, a simple addtion to the main paneland/or VC panel sections of the panel.cfg is used://---------BAC 1-11 window00 --------------gauge72=radar!radarscreen, 767,572,304,270gauge73=radar!radar_settings, 767, 843, 304, 86//-------------------------------------//----------BAC 1-11 Vcockpit02 -----------------------gauge52=radar!radarscreen, 87,161,306,268gauge53=radar!radar_settings, 87,430, 306, 84//-------------------------------------I created my own custom "Radar" Icon to toggle theradar screen window on/off. The original code in the"panel_options.xml" causes the main a/c panel to togglewhen the "radar" button is pressed!The radar screen window is ID'd as "14", not "0" so I changed thepanel_options.xml to have the correct code to toggle panel 14.14 (>K:PANEL_ID_TOGGLE)Each aircraft installation may need to be tweaked. I recall thatwith the B737-800, one of the radar gauges popup panels has the sameID as the trim popup.(MISC_POPUP_1)That is easily fixed by modifying the window ID's and associated XML "toggle" statement, or in my case, I just moved the radar gauge"information" function into the trim window and adjusted the windowsize to accomodate it:gauge00=B737_800!trim_popup, 0, 0gauge01=radar!information, 0, 144, 194, 75zorder=3So you see, there is no "one size fits all" solution/implementation.It really depends on what you want displayed, where and when.Just backup your original panel.cfg file and have a go at it. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

<>Actually, if they are using the OS API functions to read/write the .CFG files, this is a "feature" of those APIs (you can load all the set options into memory using the APIs, but since the comments don't turn into anything, you never see those from code).

That's really cool.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest FxF3

Wow this is a great post. Nice find.

Thank you for this info paul. I am surprised that I have not come across this so far in FSX.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest SilverCircle

>Actually, if they are using the OS API functions to read/write>the .CFG files, this is a "feature" of those APIs (you can>load all the set options into memory using the APIs, but since>the comments don't turn into anything, you never see those>from code).That's actually not true. The panel.cfg is a typical .ini style file and the Win32 API functions (ReadPrivateProfile...() / WritePrivateProfile...() ) which *should* be used to read and write values from/to such a file will normally NOT delete anything unless they are explicitly asked to do so.The only way to delete comments in such a file would be to wipe everything and rebuild the file from scratch when saving (which I think is what panel studio does).Putting simple comments (starting with ; or //) into scenery.cfg or FS9.cfg won't be deleted when you change settings or add/remove scenery areas. They also don't hurt. So, it's just a matter of coding it properly.

Ahh, I stand corrected, I was thinking of the functions that read/write whole sections (ie an entire sqaure bracket associated section), but those probably behave like you say also. I know we stopped using most of these functions at some point in the past (well, the Write ones anyway), and I thought this was why, but it might have been for another reason, can't remember anymore (that was back in like FS2000 timeframe :-> )