Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

For you baseball fans...

When a Baseball Clip leads to centuries old debate over historical wars, WELCOME TO AVSIM 🤣

Not sure how you guys do this but BRAVO 🤣

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

ROFLMAO !

15 minutes ago, Matthew Kane said:

When a Baseball Clip leads to centuries old debate over historical wars, WELCOME TO AVSIM 🤣

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BillW said:

Just remember we kicked your asses in 2 wars.

Like many conversations they just drift off to other topics.

Noel

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

10 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Well yes, but I can confirm that the alien temporal cops play rounders with the girls too. So there is still a "rounders" connection here. 

The temporal cops like cricket too and regard it as a much better game than the bsseball (which is really just girly rounders) one the less masculine American men play.

Cricket you see has a much bigger and better and heavier bat that requires proper muscles. 

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

Cricket you see has a much bigger and better and heavier bat that requires proper muscles. 

I won't get sucked into this rivalry stuff, Baseball is a culture, leave it at that

Matthew Kane

Like politics rivalry about one country being better than another or one nationality being better than another or ones culture being better than another it is easy to get sucked into.  You almost feel duty bound to defend your nation - nationality - culture when it is disparaged by someone even in friendly jest.  It turns into a 'my father can beat up your father' sort of thing ad-infinitum until one of the moderators shuts it down.  

Noel 

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, Matthew Kane said:

The threads in Hangar Chat all tend to devolve into nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Not all of them.  Many just slowly die due to lack of interest or because there's nothing more to say.  We do have some interesting things to say and interesting responses.

A lot of us here are friends with interests that go beyond aviation and flight simming.  Hangar Chat gives us a forum to chat about and discuss those interests.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I won't get sucked into this rivalry stuff, Baseball is a culture, leave it at that

You do realise it was just humour. I actually like baseball and wish it was played more in the UK. 

Believe it or not, it is played here and there are signs its growing. 

In fact my son went to see a game at Wembley Stadium. There was a two year agreement for US clubs to play some league games here.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

"All" No. "Some" Yes. Like all forums. Happens on other sub forums too and that includes the dedicated flight sim ones too, and the hardware forums.

Since my mother grew up in England my family has had good hearted needling with each other forever. I have the utmost respect for the UK. It's all in fun. it wasn't meant to be an all out brawl. Jeez!!!!!

Bill W

• Upvote 1

That is the biggest brain fart by a first baseman I’ve ever seen!

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

12 hours ago, martin-w said:

You do realise it was just humour.

Yes it is Humour (or Humor for our American Friends) 🤣

I live in New Zealand now so well aware of Cricket, but I grew up in Toronto so I love Baseball too. Toronto Blue Jays have always been my favourite (or Favorite) team, and the reason why the World Series truly is a 'World Series', Toronto is the only non USA team to win the World Series and back to back making it International. Also significant amount of the players on the Blue Jays team over the decades tend to be from Latin American countries due to the way they scout talent, therefore a very international team and well represented.

Cricket is far more international though which makes it even more universal, too bad the Americans are missing out on the cricket and rugby they are both very good too 😎

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Looks like Cricket is a thing in US Mathew.

https://www.usacricket.org/

Not sure how big though. 

Rugby too.

http://www.usa.rugby/

But it is far from being mainstream. When Team USA comes to New Zealand to play Rugby everyone always beats them, Canada too as Canada has a much better Rugby program. USA Rugby is still a good 10 years or more away from becoming an international player, but not likely to happen because if you were an American and have some promise in Rugby you would likely trade that for American Football due to a much higher salary. the NFL will always scout that talent away because of better funded sports programs, also the reason why a lot of Pacific Islanders end up swapping Rugby for Football as a career, players like Troy Polamalu etc

For whatever reason Rugby does well in Texas, and I have even had a Texan come and sleep on my couch during the 2011 Rugby World Cup, came all the way from Texas to see the All Blacks play. He grew up with Texas League Rugby and we had a blast together. We saw the final game All Blacks vs France together. 

As for Cricket it is largely the immigration population that supports it, same when you go to the parks, you can see people playing Cricket but they are largely from countries where Cricket is popular. Like Jamaican Americans or from Indian Americans or Sri Lankans or Trinidad etc etc, but the average American is unaware of it as a sport.

USA Mainstream sports are NFL, Basketball, Baseball, Ice Hockey and that is where the money is at, anything beyond that is niche

Edited by Matthew Kane

Matthew Kane