Sign in to follow this  
andy1252

Venice - the exception to my rule about photogrammetry

The only place I've discovered so far that I will turn photogrammetry on for.

o6Kre4A.jpg

(but I'd still rather have a properly 3d modelled version where I could drift up the Grand Canal in the A5 and not feel like someone had spiked my cocoa)

• Like 11

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Shq6iJQ.jpgOr there is this version.

ds2aV6A.jpg

Edited by 1st fltsimguy
  • Like 1

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Wow, don't even know what sim those second shots are from but they are SO poor compared to MSFS...  First shot looks great

• Like 3

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

And of course the real thing....

YLemVKB.jpg

cUhaQVL.jpg

Edited by 1st fltsimguy
  • Like 2

Near CAM3

Wow, one of my favorite cities!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

James M Driskell, Maj USMC (Ret)

1 hour ago, psolk said:

Wow, don't even know what sim those second shots are from

Looks like X-Plane to me, but I don't know what the actual scenery is. Don't remember having anything for Venice for XP on my system - plenty of other good stuff but not Venice.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

41 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Looks like X-Plane to me, but I don't know what the actual scenery is. Don't remember having anything for Venice for XP on my system - plenty of other good stuff but not Venice.

Yes, there is a freeware addon covering Venice, every building has been modeled. When added to ortho for the region which is also available, but one can make their own, the area is quite stunning.  I just posted a couple for a comparison,

• Like 1

Near CAM3

30 minutes ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

Yes, there is a freeware addon covering Venice, every building has been modeled. When added to ortho for the region which is also available, but one can make their own, the area is quite stunning.  I just posted a couple for a comparison,

Ah, interesting. I hadn't bothered with that part of the world much in XP but I'll check that out. Still got a big XP system in place and that might tempt me back for a flight or two. Thanks for that!

18 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

Ah, interesting. I hadn't bothered with that part of the world much in XP but I'll check that out. Still got a big XP system in place and that might tempt me back for a flight or two. Thanks for that!

Go here:

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/67883-city-of-venice-and-nicelli-airport/

• Like 1

Near CAM3

My apologies for hijacking this post @andy1252...I hadn't expected it to go like this.

Near CAM3

12 hours ago, 1st fltsimguy said:

My apologies for hijacking this post @andy1252...I hadn't expected it to go like this.

No worries, Bryan. Glad you did - I'll try that later this week, it'll be fun to get XP going again.

21 hours ago, psolk said:

Wow, don't even know what sim those second shots are from but they are SO poor compared to MSFS...  First shot looks great

People always like to through these ugly XPlane shots around like it's proving something and/or justifying staying with older simulators. 

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

First post is MSFS ?

Second post is XPlane ?

If so, the first shot is another world off visual quality, you just can not compare the first post shot with the second post shots, a big difference for me, the first pic is a lot more real - IMO !

cheers 😉

• Like 1

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

While the first post looks more lifelike, the second post building and rooftop colors seem closer to reality.

James

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

People always like to through these ugly XPlane shots around like it's proving something and/or justifying staying with older simulators. 

Morning Dillon.  Unfortunately, your post speaks of your bias.  The intent of my post was to follow up on the OP saying that he would prefer a 3D modeled version.  I just happen to find this post and thought OK I'll show him one that is available.  Yes it's XP, and no it's not ugly.  It's different.  Nobody is justifying staying with older simulators.

But I will add this, XP has been into ortho scenery a lot longer than MS which is why I switched years back.  Now I/we have two great sims to choose from, each has their own great qualities; and the competition is good for our community.

One of the great advantages of MS is that the sim developers are doing the work for the user, while XP users are having to do the work themselves at this time, I mean making great scenery. By sharing there is a plethora of great ortho scenery with overlays and cityscapes available all over the world in XP it just takes a little effort to make it so. Personally, I have 1/2 the world in HD ortho in my XP, and yes I need a ton of storage which could be considered a negative, but it's relatively cheap these days.  And I do not need any internet connection to fly and quite frankly it's amazing.  XP users are anxiously waiting on some much needed upgrades though.

Since we all like to show off our sims, here are a few randoms of my XP flying experience....I'm thinking it's not too bad really, certainly not "ugly".  And I have a working Reality GTN750 which I personally can't fly without.

3Yzgozg.jpg

esBZ7IM.jpg

Pf1xGnY.jpg

AiU40SA.jpg

Edited by 1st fltsimguy

Near CAM3