Sign in to follow this  
solito

flightsimulator.exe location

I wonder why the FlightSimulator.exe is not within the main folder, and can be found into other folder with the same name, at other location, and being the only file on it.-

It's here :

C:\Users\whipa\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\

But the file is usualy hidden and that's pretty annoying.

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

Not only hidden, but you can’t get permission to “use it” for things like anti-virus exclusion.

4 hours ago, White Panther said:

It's here :

Not for me

3 hours ago, caneman said:

Not only hidden, but you can’t get permission to “use it” for things like anti-virus exclusion

You might want to try this file path:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.16.2.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

It works for me with the MS Store version. You have to change the version number with each update obviously. I use it to disable "Full Screen Optimization". However, according to quite a few reports on the Net you should not meddle with folder permissions as this could have adverse results on the operating system.

Gigabyte Aorus Z390Master, i9-9900k @ 5.1 Ghz all cores, RTX 2080, 32 GB RAM

Yes, Tom, I have it also in the  windowsApp folder but windows don't let me access there.

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

At my first install, I couldnt open that folder, as It told I had no rights to it, and the only way to find the exe and open its properties was using the Windows searching facility,-

At my actual reinstall, the folder now can be opened, but the only file present in it, is the FlightSimulator.exe, so I dont know if there are more hidden files there.

Wish to know why the exe is a an separate folder

In a normal MS-Store installation, (i.e. not a Steam or X-Box install), the master game files are located in C:\XboxGames.  This also contains the digital purchase rights files.  You mess with these at your own risk.

The Flightsimulator.exe file is located within C:\XboxGames\Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content, however the permissions on this file are set in such a strange way that even as NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM (the super-user "SYSTEM" account), I cannot touch it, move it, or change its permissions.  I do not know if you can link to it or not.

I created a script that launches FS2020 after displaying a "checklist":

Note the "correct", (as mentioned on certain web sites), way to launch MSFS from a command line is shown right after the "pause" statement.

@echo off
cls
cd "C:\Users\Flight_Simulator\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe"

rem *** this part is a pre-lauch-program checklist because I'm and word not allowed. . .***
rem *** it displays itself prior to launching Microsoft Flight Simulator ***
echo:
echo.                MSFS 2020 Pre-Startup CHECKLIST VERIFICATION:
echo:
echo.     [ ] Move keyboard out of the way.
echo:
echo.     [ ] Verify that all cables are firmly attached to their respective controller's connectors.
echo:
echo.     [ ] Verify that no cables are resting on the keyboard.
echo:
echo.     [ ] Move all axis controls around to reduce noise.
echo:
echo.     [ ] Verify that all trim controls are centered.
echo:
echo.     [ ] Verify that the throttle has been pulled all the way back to the stop.
echo:
echo Then. . . .
pause

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start shell:AppsFolder\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

exit

Update:
By booting into Linux Mint, (I have a dual-boot system), I was able to copy the file to a backup location, where it is now owned by "Everyone".  I do not know what effect this has on the executable or its ability to run in the system.

Edited by Jim Harris
Update with location of executable

On 5/31/2021 at 2:01 PM, solito said:

At my first install, I couldnt open that folder, as It told I had no rights to it, and the only way to find the exe and open its properties was using the Windows searching facility,-

At my actual reinstall, the folder now can be opened, but the only file present in it, is the FlightSimulator.exe, so I dont know if there are more hidden files there.

Wish to know why the exe is a an separate folder

As for the store version it's pretty easy to access 😉 open the xbox app select at the left side MSFS and then at the right pane the (third option after the green play button ....)

Choose manage and at the popup window choose files then browse to the folder Microsoft Flight Simulator\Content :-)

• Like 1

André