Sign in to follow this  
threebears

PSU Connectors for new Video Card?

Hi all.  I'm on the point of getting a GTX1660ti to replace a 1050ti.  The 1050ti draws power directly from the PC-express slot but I understand the 1660 needs its own power connection, I think via 8 pin plug/socket.  My PSU has 2 'spare' 6 pin connectors.  Am I looking at upgrading my PSU, or is there some piece of adapting kit I can get?

4 hours ago, threebears said:

Hi all.  I'm on the point of getting a GTX1660ti to replace a 1050ti.  The 1050ti draws power directly from the PC-express slot but I understand the 1660 needs its own power connection, I think via 8 pin plug/socket.  My PSU has 2 'spare' 6 pin connectors.  Am I looking at upgrading my PSU, or is there some piece of adapting kit I can get?

The video card may well come with a power connector adapter.. if not, find one on the internet.

But I would expect your existing PSU to be OK.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/6-to-8-pin-connector-with-gtx-1660ti.253430/

Search for this on Amazon: Dual 6 Pin Female to 8 Pin Male GPU Power Adapter

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

Hi Bert.  Thanks.  I looked at the link but discovered, when reading all the posts on that thread, that it isn't that simple.  I couldn't find any connectors on Amazon that would link 2x6 pin to one 8 pin.  I think I'm cooked - having now ordered a RX2060 instead of the 1660ti.

1 hour ago, threebears said:

I couldn't find any connectors on Amazon that would link 2x6 pin to one 8 pin.

Did you use my search term?

https://www.amazon.com/Female-TeamProfitcom-Adapter-Braided-Sleeved/dp/B07V4GGS43/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Dual+6+Pin+Female+to+8+Pin+Male+GPU+Power+Adapter&qid=1622565159&sr=8-1

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

I did, but thanks for this longer one.  I see they are in US or Canada, so not sure if I can get one from UK.  I'll look again, and thank you once more.  Happy landings!

Threebears

Hi Bert.

I've now added a second 500GB SSD.  Various GPU/PCI-E connectors are on the way (hopefully one of them will work).  The GPU should arrive tomorrow.  In the end I opted for a 'free delivery' RTX 2060ti at a reasonable price.

12 hours ago, threebears said:

Hi Bert.

I've now added a second 500GB SSD.  Various GPU/PCI-E connectors are on the way (hopefully one of them will work).  The GPU should arrive tomorrow.  In the end I opted for a 'free delivery' RTX 2060ti at a reasonable price.

You should be in good shape for MSFS, as long as your internet connection is up to it..

In the meantime, enjoy P3D!

• Like 1

Bert