Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

This Game is Impossible - Finial call

44 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

No they are trained at a airfield on the real thing that`s the only way you can get a licence,

Yes of course, at the end of the day its all about the real thing. Just keep in mind that simulators (or games as some call them) are use as complementary training tools to enhance pilot skills, this is one reason XPlane Pro is FAA certified. 

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Is there as list with detailed steps on exactly how to replicate these CTDs?

MSFS has been pretty resilient even when I've introduce errors in my own work/product.  There are some limits I discovered (especially character length limits and special characters to not use) in some files, but otherwise reasonably solid since January 2021.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes I have one I used personally, disconnect all input devices except keyboard and mouse. Empty Community folder, nothing overclocked, start MSFS 2020, within a minute a CTD...

Any suggestions...???

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

40 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

At my local airfield where they train people to get PPL's they have 5 instructors.   3 of them will refuse point blank to take anyone on introductory lessons who has used a flight simulator. The other 2 will take them, but will explain in detail upfront how using a flight sim will make their training much longer.     Whilst they are aware that flight sims can be used to do certain things  once you have achieved the basics in a real aircraft, they are also aware that over the years, those who have played on flight sims prior to lessons are either too confident on what they can do, generally with adverse consequences, or have so much to unlearn that the cost for that person to get a PPL would be problematic.

And before you ask.. yes, they have had people say no when asked if they have used a sim, and after the first flight, they have always known 100% if that person was lying.

Graham

Some really bad CFI's at that field. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

13 hours ago, NZAA said:

(Yes Game. It's not a Sim). 

Stopped reading here. You typed this to get a reaction and nothing else. Therefore anything after it I can't take seriously. Stop this nonsense 

• Like 8

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yes I have one I used personally, disconnect all input devices except keyboard and mouse. Empty Community folder, nothing overclocked, start MSFS 2020, within a minute a CTD...

Any suggestions...???

Not sure what your machine spec is, but if AMD like mine below.. I went through some of this with the CTD's being driver errors or wattmain errors or  0000005c errors, anything from immediately after loading to anything upto 1 -2 hours into a flight.   Solved it in 1 easy step, which should have been known ( and it transpired was known) to the PC builder...   took the cable from the power supply to the GPU  (which was one cable with a y adaptor on the end feeding both GPU inputs), and swapped it to 2 seperate power cables from power supply to GPU. 

Manufacturer admited afterwards..  yeah  recommendation for all high power requirement GPU's is 2 seperate cables, but we have only found this to be really required on a couple of titles, including MSFS2020 which is GPU bound at these spec levels.

By the way.. same recommendation for NVIDEA 3080 and up for 2 power cables.

No CTD's since.

Graham.

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

43 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

3 of them will refuse point blank to take anyone on introductory lessons who has used a flight simulator.

That's a little limiting, but I understand the sentiment. I've found that all I have to do is cover the flight instruments and the rest works itself out with a little guidance developing proper sight pictures.

• Like 1

Chris

2 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Not sure what your machine spec is, but if AMD like mine below.. I went through some of this with the CTD's being driver errors or wattmain errors anything from immediately after loading to anything upto 1 -2 hours into a flight.   Solved it in 1 easy step, which should have been known to the PC builder...   took the cable from the power supply to the GPU  (which was one cable with a y adaptor on the end feeding both GPU inputs, and swapped it to 2 seperate power cables from power supply to GPU. 

Manufacturer admited afterwards..  yeah  recommendation for all high power requirement GPU's is 2 seperate cables, but we have only found this to be really required on a couple of titles, including MSFS2020 which is GPU bound at these spec levels.

My the way.. same recommendation for NVIDEA 3080 and up for 2 power cables.

No CTD's since.

Graham.

Well my PC just got to the Manufacturer, on an RMA, and they are going to be the AMD GPU which it came with, into the dumpster, and replace it with a Nvidia 3070. The Amd GPU has been a headache from the day one. I will never buy an AMD GPU again...Anyway, that doesn't explain the CTD's that many users get, some starting after an update of the sim. The sim is not stable, period. I ran P3D for years and had about 3 CTDs, during that time. With MSFS, I had 3 the first two days. 

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well my PC just got to the Manufacturer, on an RMA, and they are going to be the AMD GPU which it came with, into the dumpster, and replace it with a Nvidia 3070. The Amd GPU has been a headache from the day one. I will never buy an AMD GPU again...Anyway, that doesn't explain the CTD's that many users get, some starting after an update of the sim. The sim is not stable, period. I ran P3D for years and had about 3 CTDs, during that time. With MSFS, I had 3 the first two days. 

I disagree with that statement. I've been playing since the first of Alpha. I never got a CTD in MSFS. 

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

this is always the same kinda topic, some people have ctd's and complain where others have practically none and say its at the users end.

but it can be much more complicated, it can be an issue between the program and certain drivers or hardware related things.

msfs is never ever going to run for all without ctd's.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, styckx said:

Stopped reading here. You typed this to get a reaction and nothing else. Therefore anything after it I can't take seriously. Stop this nonsense 

Yup, pretty much. When the chips are down, you denigrate what you are frustrated with and try to belittle. Not the way to go at all, not even close. Still others have given great advice and suggestions with calm. I hope it helps. 

United001

• Like 2

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

20 minutes ago, wim123 said:

msfs is never ever going to run for all without ctd's.

as are fsx, xp, and p3d. And word, excel, chrome ...

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 5

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, styckx said:

Exactly my feeling... 

1 hour ago, pmb said:

as are fsx, xp, and p3d. And word, excel, chrome ...

Kind regards, Michael 

I agree.  I am not knocking Xplane, as I loved the Zibo 737 in particular, but I had more CTDs in that.  And in FSX it was always the famous OOM - I don't miss those days!  :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, CarlosF said:

pilots_to_be can also be trained using a "game" like XP, P3D or even MSFS2020

Actually...for new trainees the worse thing you can do is to let them sit down at their desk sims to play, as they will develop unsafe habits and need to unlearn what they have mistakenly learned the wrong way.

Yes...desktop software can be used for some training (and in fact XP can be used to log a minimum amount of instrument hours if done with an instructor on their equipment), but only in very limited ways and only if used in a proper and restricted fashion by the pilot and/or instructor.

But if you are referring to the way that 99% of us use the software...not much of that is actually applicable to becoming a safe and experienced private pilot and earning your license. I think it's actually more useful for certain aspects of instrument training and also manual vfr navigation (plotting course and wind correction/timings) without any radios.

But in no way is it useful in a mechanical sort of way, in where you think if you can fly a plane on your desktop that will transfer into a real life ability to land a real plane...ummm nope not happening anytime soon...for that you need experience in the real thing because simulating is not just about the software...its also about the hardware, the mechanical interface between software and hardware...and the sounds (extremely underrated and very important). Then comes the flight dynamics...which are probably less important than the pervious things already mentioned. This is why full motion level-D sims are so much more effective, because the mechanics, real sounds and movements which are mimicking the real aircraft are all there. That all makes a huge difference in simulating a specific aircraft...what we are all doing at home is rather silly in comparison...but it can be used in purposefully ways to aid the pilot.

XoPQeK2.jpg

Sorry, late to the game but here's your problem 😉...no opinion on the training stuff, I am too farsighted and too poor to ever actually fly IRL

• Like 5