Sign in to follow this  
NZAA

This Game is Impossible - Finial call

5 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well my CTDs' were on a PC that was about 3 days old. So I guess that would be considered up to date. 

this means absolutely nothing. There is nothing like a CPU intensive game to stress a PC to the point of instability if was not build right.  That being said, there is issue within the SDK and API of MSFS that could cause an CTD but to be honest, I don't experience any of the instability. So that means 2 things, either I am not using MSFS in the same way some users are and I am not triggering this code issue or my PC is pretty darn stable. Either way. I am pretty good at troubleshooting CTD in MSFS so if you need help, let me know.

Edited by fogboundturtle

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

26 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well my CTDs' were on a PC that was about 3 days old. So I guess that would be considered up to date. 

But did you buy "Honda Civic" or "Lombardini" PC?

For example I run Intel 10-Core i9-10900, 32G, 2TB NVM SSD, Gforce RTX 3090 and G-sync monitor. I have some room to wiggle so I used MSFS ultra video settings with V-sync off

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

14 hours ago, fppilot said:

have yet adopted MSFS as a training platform

I never mention MSFS specifically, I was referring to "Sims", like XP Pro which is FAA certified

• Like 1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

14 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

I never mention MSFS specifically, I was referring to "Sims", like XP Pro which is FAA certified

No X-pro is not certified by FAA it just eligible to FAA certification with additional $$$$ + certified hardware. But it's good marketing move. LOL

Also X-plane is game just like MSFS sold off the shelf and marketed as a sim.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

No X-pro is not certified by FAA it just eligible to FAA certification with additional $$$$ + certified hardware. But it's good marketing move. LOL

Also X-plane is game just like MSFS sold off the shelf and marketed as a sim.

I do agree that for home use the line between a simulator vs a game is vague. But then one can ask, which one is used to develop real aircrafts? MSFS? Or p3d/xplane.

For the most part for as home users it does not really matter, for research and development it does.

8 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

I do agree that for home use the line between a simulator vs a game is vague. But then one can ask, which one is used to develop real aircrafts? MSFS? Or p3d/xplane.

For the most part for as home users it does not really matter, for research and development it does.

I know some "drone" company used x-plane for prototyping and it was heavily marketed by LM. I also know  homebuilder using x-plane. But it a shady area. It's like  saying which app Boing pilots use ForeFlight or WingX? It's really a personal preference or company choice.

Here for example is ADS https://www.pca2000.com/! So if someone designed their airplane in this software, can we just assume XP was not good enough to do the same?

Also I remember few years ago talking to A2A about making airplanes for XP11. And Scott told me that XP doesn't give them  ability to implement high fidelity realistic aircraft based on their technology. Does it prove that XP is inferiors? After all A2A is real government contractor working on real  world military training solution! No it just a preference!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

But did you buy "Honda Civic" or "Lombardini" PC?

For example I run Intel 10-Core i9-10900, 32G, 2TB NVM SSD, Gforce RTX 3090 and G-sync monitor. I have some room to wiggle so I used MSFS ultra video settings with V-sync off

He had the civic 😂😂😂

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yer and that very PC is where?

I just had my 3080 fail. Only 5 months old but hey it was MSFS crashing....^^ and where is that 3080 now? same place as that upto date PC of yours is.

New card coming tomorrow.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yup, it's worth bearing in mind that when some of the popular PC-based flight sims which mere mortals have, are touted as being able to be used for logging real time in your book, this is largely a case of marketing rather than a practical reality for the average flight sim fan with a gamer PC in his spare room.

So there are not only some limitations on how much time you can actually log, but also the considerably greater limiting factor of the hardware, which also all has to be FAA certified (and that includes the frame rates of the PC and its input response times). Plus it's usually not the default PC entertainment version of the sim, but a fancier 'pro' version (as is the case with XPlane, and P3D), which also has to have a commercial licence in order to be used in that way as well.

So in reality, this means that if you are able to log time on a flight sim, it's likely to be a fixed-base one at a training centre which is coupled with several thousand quid's worth of dedicated hardware and licensing, and this is made possible because it is able to pay for itself by being something people pay to use. These things certainly are not running with a twenty quid joystick off Amazon, in fact, you could probably actually buy a real aeroplane for the price of those rigs. 🤣

Edited by Chock
  • Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 6/1/2021 at 10:19 PM, NZAA said:

I've tweaked this to the point where my Saitek yoke unit handles like a go-cart.

FWIW if not aware, for Saitek yokes, at least the 3 I've gone thru, when plugged in prior to Win 10 booting up will always have their aileron axis uncentered by a substantial amount.  The fix for this is to unplug it, and plug it back in after Win boots up. I installed an inline USB on/off switch to save the port and make it easy to do.  

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I know some "drone" company used x-plane for prototyping and it was heavily marketed by LM. I also know  homebuilder using x-plane. But it a shady area. It's like  saying which app Boing pilots use ForeFlight or WingX? It's really a personal preference or company choice.

Here for example is ADS https://www.pca2000.com/! So if someone designed their airplane in this software, can we just assume XP was not good enough to do the same?

Also I remember few years ago talking to A2A about making airplanes for XP11. And Scott told me that XP doesn't give them  ability to implement high fidelity realistic aircraft based on their technology. Does it prove that XP is inferiors? After all A2A is real government contractor working on real  world military training solution! No it just a preference!

Not really getting what are you trying to say, did I say xp is the only one suitable? The short answer to reality that it is used, as other simulators/tools developements, for real life designs, by real life companies including NASA,  that does some research otherwise all those "hook to xp" tools would have not exisited. So they use ONLY xp? probabaly not, is xp perfect? No too. Is xp much better than msfs for the tasks above? A resounding yes.

This is where, IMO the line between a simulator vs a game is drawn, and it is obvious with LRs latest job offers for those companies, i dont think LR literaly offers work for DC air force base as a "marketing strategy". 

A home user will mostly care that his cessna rotated at 50 knots, no matter how achieved by the simulator. A developer who wishes to build an aircraft, needs a whole seta of tools and tech, that xp, unlike msfs, provides.

Edited by mtaxp

21 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Another nice airport to learn, is where I actually soled, KFLL.

As I recall, there was a time when KFLL was potentially very dangerous to fly around, especially at night, because the drug runners and other smugglers would be flying under the radar, no lights, not making radio calls, basically invisible. Sometimes they'd even fly close-formation with an unsuspecting commercial plane so they'd be a single return on radar. 

Last time I looked at a chart of the area, there appears to be a permanent drug interdiction balloon tethered just off of the Florida coast, so it's probably a lot better now (not that I'd know first hand - I've only flown commercial into FLL a few times).

Personally, I refuse to acknowledge MSFS as a full-fidelity sim until there are drug planes presenting realistic traffic hazards. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, eslader said:

As I recall, there was a time when KFLL was potentially very dangerous to fly around, especially at night, because the drug runners and other smugglers would be flying under the radar, no lights, not making radio calls, basically invisible. Sometimes they'd even fly close-formation with an unsuspecting commercial plane so they'd be a single return on radar. 

Last time I looked at a chart of the area, there appears to be a permanent drug interdiction balloon tethered just off of the Florida coast, so it's probably a lot better now (not that I'd know first hand - I've only flown commercial into FLL a few times).

Personally, I refuse to acknowledge MSFS as a full-fidelity sim until there are drug planes presenting realistic traffic hazards. 😉

The plane flying over the airport smuggling drugs, was in the late 70's and early 80s, and usually these planes flew there at 2-4 AM, right over the Tower, and generally at 300 ft AGL, so radar couldn't see them and they would then head for the everglades where they would usually ditch. The Balloon you are talking about was about 45 miles East of Key West, and I flew by the cable  many times keeping it a few miles from me. The Balloon itself was around 8,000 feet and was held in place by a steel cable that you wanted to avoid at all costs. This was located in the Sectional Chart. 

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/air-safety-institute/accident-analysis/featured-accidents/airship-tether-severs-cessna-wing-killing-three

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Not really getting what are you trying to say, did I say xp is the only one suitable? The short answer to reality that it is used, as other simulators/tools developements, for real life designs, by real life companies including NASA,  that does some research otherwise all those "hook to xp" tools would have not exisited. So they use ONLY xp? probabaly not, is xp perfect? No too. Is xp much better than msfs for the tasks above? A resounding yes.

This is where, IMO the line between a simulator vs a game is drawn, and it is obvious with LRs latest job offers for those companies, i dont think LR literaly offers work for DC air force base as a "marketing strategy". 

A home user will mostly care that his cessna rotated at 50 knots, no matter how achieved by the simulator. A developer who wishes to build an aircraft, needs a whole seta of tools and tech, that xp, unlike msfs, provides.

You are trying to make XP is professional tool for aviators which is not. XP has been around for long time and  has been handled exclusively LM. Even though MSFS is successor which comes from long line previous versions MS game. it's really brand new product build by completely different people and being in public domain less than a year!

In real life you can't officially log flying hours neither in XP pro not in MSFS. Whoever using each platform for which purpose absolutely doesn't change a fact that both product are games!

• Like 2

I love MSFS, but sometimes I hate it, too! You only have a very limited number of planes that are able to fly IFR flightplans properly. That number has increased lately, thank god! I know people love FBW a320 to bits, but it is actually pretty bad when it comes to IFR flying. And the CRJ has up until today's patch flown like a drunken sailor when it comes to LNAV pathing. The only airplane we actually got that is worth a word not allowed when it comes to IFR is Working Title CJ4. It is superb! It's also free, and has done a better job at it than Aerosoft. Goes to show that it was WT who first got a contract with MS Asobo.

MSFS is probably a great VFR trainer. Sure it is a game, but it can be a usefull game. Looking forward to some PMDG entering the MSFS scene soon. I cant handle the poor IFR LNAV stuff going on in the sim much more. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78